New and Lost..Breakfast before workout..or No??

Options
I'm not sure If I should eat before I work out or after, I've had shakes before workouts and felt like i was in slow motion..So do I eat after the workout then? Please help..

Replies

• road2goal
    road2goal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I workout first thing in the morning but I always try to eat a little something beforehand (a greek yogurt, banana, etc). I find it helps boost my energy and allows me to power though longer. If I don't eat, my workouts are not as long or intense.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    i usually do weights before eating..just not hungry yet.. I then go home and eat something small and Zumba and after that I am starving..and have lunch!
  • janetkennedymerritt
    Options
    I am going to try eating a yogurt before hitting the treadmill. I've been working out like a crazy person, tracking my calories and using visalus shakes and the scale isn't moving much. Hope I'm getting really fit and at least start losing inches.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of tea first thing (and if tht is enough to affect a "fasting" test it must be a small level of nutrition) and then I do a 20 min workout before getting ready. One of my earlier exercise videos recommended eating a piece of fruit 20-30 mins before exercise to help lose weight quicker.

I think I would be most uncomfortable if I'd just eaten, but if you feel shaky then you probably should have a banana or something. (Although I don't have brekkie before my short workouts, if I am heading out for a walk I make sure I have cereal at least before I leave the house.)
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    When I was in the army we always worked out in the morning before we ate anything. I talked to a trainers about it and they all approved. They said it was a great way to kick off the morning. At that point in the day all you have to burn is what is in you since you haven't eaten for the 8 hours during your sleep. I was in fantastic shape but in the interest of full disclosure we did end up doing some sort of workout twice a day.
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I run way too early to be able to eat, but my trainer tries to get all of us to eat an "energy food" half hour before workout. It's just not possible for me to eat that early.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It depends on what time I'm working out. Right out of bed. Nothing. A couple of hours later, I'll have a coffee and maybe a banana. It it's later in the day, I make sure not to eat anything at least an hour before my workout.
  • quackmunch
    quackmunch Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I usually work out after work, but a few times I've worked out in the morning. One time I had a PT session first thing and didn't eat but found the routine a real struggle. The second time I ate about an hour before working out and found it much easier.

I couldn't eat right before a workout though.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    If you're working out soon after getting up, I would recommend waiting until after your workout to eat because your body will directly attack the fat if it doesn't have ready access to an energy supply in the bloodstream. For the first few days trying this, bring along a half an orange in case your body starts demanding an easier supply of energy. (an orange or orange juice is one of the quickest ways to put sugar into the blood) Then within 30 minutes of finishing your workout, eat a high protein breakfast (14-20g). This is when your body best absorbs protein (whether you did strength or cardio) and will help to speed the healing process and minimize soreness and recovery time.