Drinking too many calories...what will this do...

Options
Hi all!

Questions about drunken calories. I always make sure that I save enough calories to have at a minimum my glass of wine with dinner- sometimes more.

Sometimes a lot more. What is the nutritional consequence for drinking too many of my caloric intake per day/week? I separate in my diary my alcohol calories and many times it is what breaks me even and/or takes me over. What I'm wondering is what are the implications of this. Is there really any difference between eating 500 calories in french fries and 500 calories of wine.

I could care less about fries, however, I have no intention of giving up my wine. I just want to know if the weight gain factor is equivalent. I feel like it isn't but is that just me being totally delusional...?

Love to hear all ya'lls responses!

Replies

• jcsTN517
    jcsTN517 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has fewer Calories per gram than fat but more than carbohydrates and protein. Alcohol gives you 7 Calories/g whereas fat is 9 Calories/g and proteins or carbohydrates are 4 Calories/g. Therefore, 500 Calories of french fries is equal to 500 Calories of alcohol but the main difference is you can't consume as much alcohol by weight or volume and get the same number of Calories if you were to consume the same weight or volume as other foods that have carbohydrates or proteins because of the conversion difference. Thus, alcohol should be consumed in moderation. Otherwise, you're getting empty Calories since alcohol doesn't provide nutrients or minerals that other foods do, even the french fries. As a result, you might be consuming a set amount of Calories, but you're depriving your body of major nutrients or minerals if more of your Calories are from alcohol as opposed to other kinds of food. As someone about to graduate from medical school and be a physician on May 28, 2010, I also want to point out that alcohol has a lot of other negative consequences if you're drinking a significant amount every day.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    mainly my dad drinks wine every night. at least the one that helps for the digesting one. :) he loves that one.

it just depends. if you are losing weight from it then great. but if you are not. then you might want to cut down on it.
    not telling you to quit drinking it. but drink less

hope that helps, i dont really know much of it. but i can tell you what i have seen. but he only drinks one glass.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Calories from alcohol are just calories, the same as any other.

Alcohol doesn't generally have any nutritional value in terms of vitamins or minerals, ergo x% of your limited daily calories are nutritionally worthless.

French fries are high in refined salt and saturated fat which are associated with health problems etc.

Alcohol can cause drunkenness which is associated with awesome, as well as "I forget", bruises, and promiscuity. Alcohol does, however, have negatives, such as temporary erectile dysfunction, inappropriate emails sent to work colleagues, karaoke and babies.

No scientific studies have established a link between french fries and erectile dysfunction. One study* did establish a link between excessive consumption of McDonalds and reduced libido, but this study lacked a double blind trial.

*Spurlock, M. (2004) "Super Size Me", Kathbur Pictures.