GYM RATS!

Options
2»

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 2 week rotation so it's a bit too long to put here, but I shoot for 5-6 days of exercise a week for 1-2 hours at a time. Mostly strength but some cardio too.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Mon - Gym - weights
    Tues - CrossFit
    Wed - Gym - weights (or rest)
    Thurs - CrossFit
    Friday - Gym - weights
    Saturday - Bootcamp (cardio)
    Sun - Rest
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Mon - Heavy lifting - deadlift, bench, circuit training
    Tue - Sprints and Plyometric, Cycling
    Wed - Sandbags, kettlebells, and now working on cleans and snatches
    Thu - Run, cycling
    Fri - Heavy Lifting - squat, overhead press, circuit training
    Sat - "Free" day - new exercises, or just randomness
    Sun - Rest day
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    6 days/week; 60-90min of strength training; 10-12min of jumping rope
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    all strength, not enough cardio, about an hour

when Im alone I do a lot of filler activities, pushups, kettlebell swings, jump pull ups to fill up an hour. If Im with my gym buddy, we alternate on a machine - so im there longer but doing slightly less - usually this happens when Im learning something new - not when I come in ready to do a routine im used to, together or apart.

But my goal is to spend 45-60 minutes there 3 times a week.

Im also aiming for 2-3 5 mile runs per week right now - but that's working for speed - the cardio is an added benefit that isnt really my focus, it will just happen.

I spent so many years doing cardio that I avoid it mentally - scared to slip back into caring too much about it, focusing too much on it and putting too much pressure on myself with it that is swallows me whole again.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym 4 days a week doing strength training. I usually workout for about an hour to hour and a half. The duration of my workout depends on the intensity. If I'm doing a low weight deload week, I try to keep only a minute between sets. If I'm lifting heavy where the intensity is much greater, I may need a longer recovery and rest for 3 minutes between sets.

I don't do any cardio now. I will probably add one cardio session per week in a couple months.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Here is my routine:
    Monday- Racquetball or bootcamp
    Tuesday- Run (35 minutes of running mixed with 25 minutes of walking). Bootcamp
    Wednesday- Bootcamp or racquetball (which ever I did not get to on Monday)
    Thursday- Bootcamp
    Friday- Rest
    Saturday- Sh'bam (a dance class at Golds)
    Sunday- Body Combat or Rest

My bootcamp consists of some cardio (running/stairs), weights and body weight exercises. It is awesome! I would love to be able to add in some swimming but my gym doesn't have a pool :cry:
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If you've just joined a gym, see if they offer a free session with a personal trainer. If you workout with a trainer, who is trained and certified to adapt effective workouts to people based on their individual needs you can get a good idea of where you need to start. If you can afford it I would suggest getting 3 or 4 sessions with a trainer, even if its just for 30 mins at a time. If you are new to working out in a gym this is a great way to get comfortable with the equipment and learn safe and proper technique.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Have you developed some specific goals like, get stronger, lose fat, gain muscle, etc.? If this is your first go around its helpful to think about that. At the same time, just getting into the gym and starting to use the weights, etc. is good because it gets you comfortable and learning.

I have been lifting for a few years now but I just started Wendler's 5/3/1 program on a 4 day split - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. I also run two to three days a week. Women's programs can be pretty similar, looking at Strong Lifts and the New Rules of Weightlifting for Women, both of which demonstrate that women and men can lift the same way, just get different results due to differences in hormones.

This^^^^. It depends on your goals. When I was focused on losing weight I lifted 3 days a week alternating upper and lower body and I did cardio 3 days a week. When I began to focus on races I cut lifting to 2 days a week and ran 4-5 days a week.

Right now I am training for my first half Ironman. I am swimming 3 days a week (weakest area), running 3 days a week, cycling at least 2 times a week, lifting 2 times a week and fitting in yoga for flexibility when I can. I do not recommend this routine if you are only focused on fitness. It is very tiring!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Should be based on your fitness and body goals, not what others are doing. How are you starting up tomorrow without any routine set?

^^yep
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    My routine has changed because my personal goals have changed over the last 30 days, where I have cut cardio and increased weights.

5x week lifting for 30 minutes per day

I take heavy bag twice per week for a total of 120 minutes

and I run for an hour on Saturdays or Sunday.

It's all about your goals.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Don't consider myself a gym rat; but I have a crazy work schedule so I only lift 3 days a week and I'm in and out in under 60 minutes. I've lifted for years, done all the splits and what works for me and my goals is the upper/lower split. I do upper twice a week with 3-4 days between sessions and lower once a week bc I run/sprint a good amount. I also switch my leg routines where one week is very heavy w/low reps and one week is higher weight/higher reps.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Focusing on running at the moment so that 3 days a week, elliptical 2 days a week and lifting maybe 2-3 times. Medium weight and reps and focusing mainly on upper body for now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What does a typical day/week look for you at the gym? How much cardio? Strength training? Duration?

Starting up tomorrow and I just want to know what others workouts look like!:)

First of all, you should determine some more specific goals...without them, you'll just kind of wander around from machine to machine and/or weight to weight and accomplish not much.

Here's a typical week for me:

Monday - HIIT (sometimes at the gym, sometimes at the park near my work)
    Tuesday - Starting Strength (weight room ` 30-45 minutes)
    Wednesday - 30 minute jog (outdoors)
    Thursday - Starting Strength (weight room ~ 30-45 minutes)
    Friday - HIIT
    Saturday - Starting Strength (weight room ` 30-45 minutes)...maybe light cardio afterwards...in the summer I will likely go for a swim or something.
    Sunday - OFF
  • NathanDailey
    Options
    I plan to start Wendler's program too after I've finished cutting to 10% BF (I plan to run a slight - ~250 kCal - surplus while doing his program for approximately 3-4 months. Then cut again while maintaining. I currently train 6 days a week on a 3 day split (pushing one day, pulling the next, legs + abs on the third).