should i join a gym?... again?

Options
I'm thinking of joining a gym. I just don't get a whole lot of exercise other than occasional walking and I know it would be really good for me. And I get a pretty good deal at work on a year's membership at a really good place. The thing is, over the last decade I have tried this 3 times before, always with the best of intentions. I go to classes I enjoy, use the treadmill, and try the circuit machines although they scare me a bit, even after the introductory training. I usually last about 3-4 months, going semi-regularly, then it just seems to stop being a priority. Or I get ridiculously busy with work, I have some chronic pain issues (which exercise will theoretically help) and I hate going in the evenings when it's already dark. I've got a million excuses but the fact is I lack willpower.

So I'm wondering what to do now. I've lost a bit of weight and would like to keep the momentum going. Should I go back to the gym, and if so, any ideas on what to do differently so I'm more likely to keep at it? Or, I thought maybe I should try and make a go of it working out at home first, then if I prove to have gained some willpower, consider re-joining the gym at that point?

I realize this all boils down to the fact that I kinda suck and need to "just do it", but maybe some of you who also had a hard time getting going with exercise will have some practical advice for becoming gradually more active? Thanks.

Replies

• whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Find something that you love to do, otherwise it will feel like a chore and it will be hard to maintain.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of joining a gym. I just don't get a whole lot of exercise other than occasional walking and I know it would be really good for me. And I get a pretty good deal at work on a year's membership at a really good place. The thing is, over the last decade I have tried this 3 times before, always with the best of intentions. I go to classes I enjoy, use the treadmill, and try the circuit machines although they scare me a bit, even after the introductory training. I usually last about 3-4 months, going semi-regularly, then it just seems to stop being a priority. Or I get ridiculously busy with work, I have some chronic pain issues (which exercise will theoretically help) and I hate going in the evenings when it's already dark. I've got a million excuses but the fact is I lack willpower.

So I'm wondering what to do now. I've lost a bit of weight and would like to keep the momentum going. Should I go back to the gym, and if so, any ideas on what to do differently so I'm more likely to keep at it? Or, I thought maybe I should try and make a go of it working out at home first, then if I prove to have gained some willpower, consider re-joining the gym at that point?

I realize this all boils down to the fact that I kinda suck and need to "just do it", but maybe some of you who also had a hard time getting going with exercise will have some practical advice for becoming gradually more active? Thanks.

For me, there were several things that kept me going.

1) I bugged hubby for YEARS to make getting me a gym membership a priority--if I didn't use it, I would hear about it until the day I died.

2) when I started out, I had accountability partners. I had to take the time to text them if I wasn't going to make it to the gym. Turned out THEY were sucky partners, but I decided to not give them the power to keep me fat.

3) I got to know people at the gym--both staff and members. After a few months they got to know my schedule--the trainer who works when I am usually there actually commented when I was a few hours later getting there one day over the summer. If I am not there for a few days, I WILL get crap from the trainer and a few members ;)

4) I got to the point where I realized that I felt better after a workout. If I HAVE to skip a workout due to a doctor's appointment or something, I start getting agitated. I hurt my leg a month ago and STILL went to the gym ON CRUTCHES and got in an upper body workout.
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    I say - join the gym and make a goal to get there 3x a week. Do classes you really enjoy! or try something new :)
  • mbacheld72
    Options
    It's very easy to let it slide - even for those with the best intentions and willpower. I love going to the gym, but I do have those days where I feel groggy and tired, and I would prefer to skip out. Do you have a friend that could join with you? Have you thought of hiring a personal trainer if personal budget allows? I think everyone needs someone who can hold them accountable on those days when we want to let it go. Maybe some friends on here could even help keep you motivated and send you those pesky messages to tell you to get into the gym. LOL. Whatever will help. I have never had much luck with exercising at home. I have always found it way too easy to say I'll do it in a little bit, and then never do. If I put the effort into getting ready and going to a gym, then I know I'll at least to the workout.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    When the day comes that you have no doubt in your mind that you belong in the gym and you are going to attack it, then I would hold off unless you have a lot of spending money. The gym is a place where you have to settle in and let yourself get comfortable over a period of time until it becomes part of your life.

Beyond that I would recommend a home workout like P90x or Insanity.

Best of luck to you.
  • s07civic
    s07civic Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You gotta make going to the gym FUN! Bring some tunes, and remember that, if you think people are looking at you (which they aren't), YOU have a reason to be there--you want to get skinny. If you were already skinny you wouldn't be there!! Etc. That's what I always tell myself!
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would unless you have a robust support structure in place to encourage you to go on a regular basis and hold you accountable to skipping gym days. You'd said you'd tried gym memberships 3 times and hadn't stuck with them after a few months. Without a system to back you can you honestly tell yourself that the outcome would be any different?

Maybe make a gym membership a reward. I'd get a home workout program first. If you have an Xbox, I love Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2012. Set a goal like "I will work out x # of times a week for 3+ months." Keep track on a calendar (YS:FE has a calendar in the program to show when you've worked out). At your appointed month limit, how did you do? Did you accomplish your goal of # of workouts per week? If yes, revisit the idea of a gym membership. If no, I'd stick at home.

My thought process behind this is working on changing your mindset. Working on making an exercise routine part of your daily/weekly routine and having the start up cost being a set of weights or a workout video or something.

If you do decide to go back to the gym, I'd only go if you've got a couple workout buddies and have a system in place to hold you accountable to missing workouts. For example you meet for workouts Mon, Wed, Fri and one day on the weekend. If you miss a workout meet up you pay $10 to a pool. Person who misses the fewest amount of workouts at the end of the month gets the money in the pool. If there are multiple people the money gets split up between them. There are even sites that are set up with this type of idea in mind; Fitsby and Gympact for example. I haven't tried them myself, but the idea is you are more likely to have more will power to accomplish these goals if there is a financial repercussion of not succeeding.
  • lisatwin1b
    lisatwin1b Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note on this topic. I joined a gym (again) last year, but this time one the kids could go to, not like that helped. The car broke, so I got another one with a loan, then couldn't afford the gas. I live in Florida and less than two miles from work with the elementary school on the way. My youngest son & I ride our backs (no busses withing 2 miles of the school) and I lost 5 pounds within a few months (it's only 3 miles, round trip, takes less than 15 minutes each way!) So, encouraged by those results, I decided to try running, which I have always hated, but I got this app on my phone "Zombie Run" which makes it more fun. So far, 1 week of running and I think I can keep it up. It's better than the gym because I can do it anytime, and being a single mom of 3, that was important. I don't do mornings, so usuall I run sometime between 9 pm and 10 pm.

My advice, think about your schedule, commitments, and self. Figure out what works. My sister lives literaly 1 block from the pool, so she swims (hey, it's Florida!) I also think getting someone to do it with you would help, but I had to give up on my kids, they would rather play games.:tongue:
  • vidvox
    vidvox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great insights, folks, I appreciate it!