To weigh or not to weigh...

Options
So I hate the scale. Seriously hate the scale. I spent 5 years with bulimia, and while I have the tools now not to revert to that, the old mental habits are hard to break.

Anyone here NOT weigh themselves weekly? I am thinking of maybe having my husband hide it from me (yes seriously. I am grown woman and this is probably necessary since I cave, get on in, and feel...like heaving in the toilet). Maybe doing it once a month to track progress, but I want to focus more on WHAT I am eating rather than what I am weighing.

And as I enter training mode, I am freaking out about my weight.

Replies

• primpinxoxo
    primpinxoxo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I recently decided to stop weighing on the scale. Not sure if that's what all the fitness fanatics will recommend though. However, I was getting really obsessive about it and on top of counting calories and working out, I was going to give myself a heart attack. I definitely measure myself though once a week, which takes more effort so if I'm doing it compulsively I have a chance to tell myself I'm crazy before I go overboard.

Seriously though...do what is right for you. This is a positive change in your life!

Congratulations on your weight loss :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just take measurements and go by how your clothes feel...I know a lot of people who do that and never set foot on a scale.
  • islander3
    Options
    understand what you are saying completely.

I spent a portion of my life battle the same demons. The number on a scale can completely ruin my day and my health. I am also attempting to lose weight and get fit again but have only done an initial weigh in. Ive was training 5 days a week for the last 3 weeks and eating a set number of calories but have yet to venture onto the scale.

My trainer suggested taking measurements and focusing on the change there rather than the pounds lost. People keep bugging me asking how much weight I have dropped but I am too scared to put myself through what the outcome of the scale will be. If I have lost I will feel great but if the number is still the same I will take a huge step back.

Hang in there!
  • Zandia_1
    Zandia_1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just take measurements and go by how your clothes feel...I know a lot of people who do that and never set foot on a scale.
    This is what I do. Last time I stepped on a scale was in December when I visited my Dr. I measure once a week and I think that's a bit much as well.:noway: I think once a month should be sufficient.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Look forward to my weekly weigh-ins, especially when I know that I've hit it hard, as far as the gym is concerned.
  • supergirljen
    Options
    Once a month here.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would definitely agree to avoid it, as it's destructive for you.

You can make progress without the scale, and the scale is NOT a direct measure of progress.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've seen lots of posts of people who have thrown their scales away. They'd rather use measurements, how their clothes fit, or bf%. The scales mess with our minds and we gain and lose water weight so easily that we can get upset over nothing. If you're afraid that it will lead you down a path you don't want to go, I would put the scale away and only weigh once a month, or maybe even once every three months.
  • LynnieG85
    LynnieG85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    With your history of bulimia, I think it's a great idea not to weigh yourself. Take measurements, or even monthly photos of your progress. That way you'll see a difference but not be haunted by the numbers obsession. I really hope you can do this healthily! :)
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your history with bulimia. Remember: the scale is just a number captured at a moment in time. Yes, it tells part of the story but not the whole story.

I like weighing in because I am incredibly competetive. My wife hates it as it can cause frustration if she isn't making progress.

Your diet and exercise are the THERMOSTAT of your life. The scale is just a THERMOMETER. Focus on the THERMOSTAT. Establish habits that drive eating good foods/fuel. Establish good routines for weight training and cardio.

Your mirror and favorite jeans will tell you everything that you need to know.

Leave the scale in closet

Good luck!
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I use it to keep me in check. However, I weigh every day out of compulsion and that needs to change. I think a healthy break from the scale would feel very liberating for you, especially given your history. Go by measurements and as someone else suggested, pics. Good luck! :)
  • bluzmama1229
    Options
    Another former bulimic, here. First of all, congrats on the weight loss that is showing on your post!:flowerforyou: Scales:explode: Right now for me, having just started this program, it's hard to not weigh myself everyday...that messes me up. Like everyone else is saying, you know how your body, clothes, feels. When I go to the doctor, I turn my back to it so I don't have to see "THE NUMBER":laugh: My doctor told me that she doesn't even step on her own office scale! I spent my entire life chasing "the magic number". I now have a 9 year old daughter and I am constantly reminding her that "It's not about weight, it's about HEALTH" So, long response shorter: you don't have to weigh yourself at home at all. The doctor may need to weigh you for medication or other health reasons. Just pay attention to your body. :smile: