How am I doing so far? What can I do differently?

Options
I've been on trying to lose weight since 1/3/13. I'm 5'6", currently 184.8 lbs, wanting to get down to 150 lbs. (at least to start with, I might reevaluate once I reach my goal). I've essentially just been counting calories, and working out. MFP says my goal WITHOUT exercise is 1,200 calories/day. I do zumba 4-5 times a week, and that gives me an extra 650-ish calories for 60 minute classes, and about 970 for 90 minutes classes (on Thursdays).

So far, I really haven't lost any weight. As of my last weigh-in, I'm down 0.2 lbs, which seems pretty negligible to me. I'm in no way expecting FAST results, but 0.2 lbs in 3 weeks?? I was hoping for at least 1 or 2 lbs. at this point. I've opened up my diary, but a few things to keep in mind: I didn't log some of my dinners (with the exception of this week, so I've improved in that aspect), because I knew that I had a large amount of calories left, and KNEW there is no way my dinners would put me above it (very lean, homemade dinners), and some of my food isn't exact. For example, last night it says I had Taco Bell for dinner. I had homemade "American style" tacos similar to Taco Bell, so I thought it was a good logging choice.

I've also upped my water intake, I'm at about 5 full glasses per day (up from 1-2.... Bad, I know). Hmm, what else? Anyways, just looking for some input. Thank you!

Replies

• dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    try NOT eating your exercise calories. Stick to 1200 calories period. I know people will bark about it and say it's not how MFP was designed etc etc etc.

I say try it for a week or two and see if you see results. Then maybe only eat HALF of your activity calories.

try it, if you find it not working or not feeling well, then stop and go back to the "MFP way"
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    1. You didn't log anything over the weekend
    2. Don't chose taco bell if you made your own. Log what you ACTUALLY ate
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Similar to above but I would say only eating up to 50% of those calories back as MFP tends to over-estimate calories burned. I doubt you're burning nearly 1,000 calories in a zumba class.
  • RoboGal12
    RoboGal12 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    try NOT eating your exercise calories. Stick to 1200 calories period. I know people will bark about it and say it's not how MFP was designed etc etc etc.

I say try it for a week or two and see if you see results. Then maybe only eat HALF of your activity calories.

try it, if you find it not working or not feeling well, then stop and go back to the "MFP way"

Yeah, I definitely don't eat ALL of my exercise calories back, maybe about 100-200 above, sometimes half. I'll try just sticking to 1,200/cal for a week or so. Thanks!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'll try to help. Based on your diary, the problem may lie in that you're not eating enough consistently. 1200 should be your minimum (not your upper limit), particularly if you're working out 4-5 days a week. Your body needs fuel not only to maintain basic function, but to build muscle and burn the excess fat. If you're not hungry, try adding in a couple of high density, high claorie snacks like nuts, fruits and the like. Good luck. If you keep at it, the weight loss should come. If it doesn't, then you probably need to consult a medical professional. Also, try to log religiously at least in the beginning so that you can get a true picture of your nutritional and exercise profiles.
  • RoboGal12
    Options
    1. You didn't log anything over the weekend
    2. Don't chose taco bell if you made your own. Log what you ACTUALLY ate

1. No, I didn't. My original plan was to have one cheat day, but it turned into two. I still wasn't/am not eating anywhere near as poor as I had in the past, I was/am still mindful. But I guess perhaps I should just try forgoing cheat days.
    2. Noted.
  • RoboGal12
    Options
    Similar to above but I would say only eating up to 50% of those calories back as MFP tends to over-estimate calories burned. I doubt you're burning nearly 1,000 calories in a zumba class.

Well, keep in mind that's 970 calories for a 90 minute class. And I do go "all out" because I've been going for a while and know all of the routines well. But, I'm planning on buying a heart rate monitor tomorrow when I get paid to know for sure, because you might be right. Thank you!
  • Slaci_Jo
    Slaci_Jo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask people to look at mine too actually. I've gained 2 pounds over the last two weeks, but lost 1 inch in my waist and 2 in my hips. After looking at my food diary I can imagine some of it may have to do with my sodium intake and the occasional fast food (example i went to Jack in the Box for breakfast yesterday) but generally after my work out sessions I come at or close to my daily calorie goal. I also figured out my BMR and TDEE which kind of said I needed to up my calorie intake, but when I tried to change my MFP goals to match it as closely as possible it keeps me at 1200.
  • RoboGal12
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'll try to help. Based on your diary, the problem may lie in that you're not eating enough consistently. 1200 should be your minimum (not your upper limit), particularly if you're working out 4-5 days a week. Your body needs fuel not only to maintain basic function, but to build muscle and burn the excess fat. If you're not hungry, try adding in a couple of high density, high claorie snacks like nuts, fruits and the like. Good luck. If you keep at it, the weight loss should come. If it doesn't, then you probably need to consult a medical professional. Also, try to log religiously at least in the beginning so that you can get a true picture of your nutritional and exercise profiles.

Thanks! I'm going to try a few different things here, and see what happens. I did the counting calories thing years ago, and didn't really lose then either. The only thing that truly worked was keto, and I was MISERABLE on it. Gained it all back when I went off, anyways. I already had my thyroid tested juuuuust in case, and that turned out fine. I can't imagine what other medical issues could be hindering, so at this point, I just have to assume I'm doing something wrong.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Your eating fast food almost everyday start making fresh foods from home! :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I think those nonlogging days may be derailing you. Since I joined, I've been gaining and losing the same 2-3 pounds, but I have had a few nonlogging days along the way.

I've decided to be consistent with logging so that I have as accurate of data as possible, and I suggest you do the same. Try to be as accurate as possible without driving yourself crazy.

I've also been eating only about half of my exercise calories because I don't trust the estimates.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You need to minimally net to 1,200 calories...this means if you do exercise, you need to eat those calories back. If you don't trust the estimate in the database, eat at least 50% of them back. Best option would be to get a basic Heart Rate Monitor like a Pulsar f4 to more accurately track your burn based on your actual heart rate, not someone else's burn that got put into the data base.

1,200 calories is bare minimum...it is probably at least somewhat below your BMR. If you're doing all of that exercise, great...just fuel your body. 1,200 calories already has in the neighborhood of 800-1,000 calorie deficit from your maintenance level of calories...making the deficit bigger is doing one thing...stalling your metabolism...you're shutting your metabolism down by netting so few calories, thus your body just stores everything it gets and burns very little.

Also, track everything...weigh everything...measure everything. Too much guestimation often leads to larger portions than you think you're really getting.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Start logging properly - use the recipes function so you can can 'reuse' the recipe. For the first time you may it weigh and measure everything. The MFP calculation guesstimates your BMR and TDEE based on your weight and self reported activity, IMO the categories are poorly explained (sedentary is under around 6000 steps not doing absolutely nothing), if you then guess at your food we can't give any sort of sensible advice because you could be massively over or massively under.

If possible check your calorie burn in Zumba with a heart rate monitor because I'm not convinced you will burn that much, and mix up your workouts so you are not doing the same thing day in day out. The body gets more efficient at a given exercise when you do it regularly, efficient means way fewer calories burned.

Should be eating nine servings of fruit and veggies in the full rainbow of colours, three servings of dairy each day, oily fish regularly, plenty of fibre and mineral rich foods (beans, lentils, nuts, seeds). You seem to be eating way over 10% of daily calories as processed/ sugary/ refined junk - up to you if you do that as daily or save up for a cheap meal but not both unless you sole goal is weight loss at any cost (assume not since your posted in Food and Nutrition). Never undereat your fat or protein or fibre (start tracking this), MFP numbers are minimums not optimal, and never net under your BMR.
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    1. Log all your foods. There are quick added cal in your diary every day - what are those?

2. If you make something, log the items that go into what you made - there is a recipe tab that you can use to enter the ingredients for the food you make and the cal/comp are calculated for you and saved.

3. Weigh and measure your food. Are you guesstimating what you eat? 99% of people are not able to guesstimate what an oz/cup/etc looks like.

Also 3 weeks is not a long time, you could be holding water, or any number of things.

Try the 3 things above for a month and come back with your results.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey, good for you for changing your life and becoming healthier! The beginning is the hardest part because you're breaking old habits and creating new ones. That's never easy for anyone. Some advice:

1. The water thing didn't matter to me so much for weight loss. I can force down about 6 cups per day and that's about it. Anything more and I feel like I'm going to drown in it. Just drink as much as you can and it will be enough.

2. Keep improving your logging skills. When you make homemade meals, you can use the "My Recipe" feature and put in all the ingredients, # of servings, etc. and it will calculate it as accurately as possible. With that said, when you're cooking be sure to use measuring cups/spoons and a digital food scale (comes in very handy for meat). By using the scale I learned that I was eating at least twice the amount of meat than I should've been eating. Log everything, cheat meals included. I've tended to scale back cheat meals because they were blowing my weekly averages.

3. Lift weights! You will see results so quickly if you're consistent. There are lots of threads on here about strength training. Just do a search. With that said, keep doing Zumba too because it's wicked fun and burns tons of cals.
  • RoboGal12
    Options
    Oh! One thing I forgot to mention: My BF's parents are living with us for a bit. They cook our dinners. They're relatively healthy dinners, all homemade from scratch. I'm careful about my portion sizes, and try to keep it light on the more carb-y stuff. I try to figure what calories from researching online the different ingredients, but I'm sure it's not 100% accurate.

Before someone says it, no, there is no way I can just stop eating what they make. If I were to come home to pasta alfredo or something OBVIOUSLY bad, I could say no, because they know I'm trying to lose weight. Which is why they're being mindful of what they make (and neither have ever been overweight, so I do trust them). If I were to just say "NOPE NO WAY, NEVER" because I didn't make it myself, I know I'd insult them (different culture, if that makes any difference). I need to draw a line between keeping the peace and doing what's best for me, which is what I've been trying to do.
  • Sterkka
    Options
    Something I've found really helps me is to plan my meals in advance. I went about this by keeping a food diary for a week without planning anything - just logging what I happened to eat, every morsel of it. After this, I sat down to review what I'd eaten and to be honest, sitting down to really think about what you're eating, what you should/need to eat and what you will eat really helped put all of this stuff on the table clearly and concisely. I've never really had a bad diet as such, but I noticed I was getting too much sugar by way of fruit, plenty of excess calories and "bad" carbs through snacking on the wrong foods (oh god, but I love those Karelian pasties) and while my veggies were up to scratch I wasn't eating enough protein.

After this, I've had my whole week's basic meals & snacks planned - I've kept it varied and tasty, included lots of protein, one treat day (i.e. a few pieces of chocolate or, my favourite, salty liquorice for afters), limited my fruit nomming to breakfast smoothies, etc. etc. and I've found that knowing what's for dinner and having everything ready in the fridge has helped me HUGELY in sticking to eating right and getting the right amounts of everything! My boyfriend also knows exactly what to get from the shops just by looking at the fridge door - no more grabbing ready meals for lack of better ideas ;)

Eventually I assume I'll be able to better judge my own nutrition without too much advance planning, but for now, this is my battle strategy. If you're having problems with popping out for fast food, keeping your caloric intake at a decent level for you or eating dodgy things because they just happened to be on hand and you were hungry, give this a go. Might help with that self-discipline :)
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    As previously mentioned - start by logging properly. You used "quick add" calories a lot...are you guessing? People commonly have the tendancy to significanly under guess the calories their are consuming. Not to be rude but I bet you are eating more than you think and/or not logging everything. Be honest with yourself...once you start logging every morsel of food you eat it can be very eye-opening!

I am not coordinated for Zumba, but good for you I bet it is an awesome workout!
  • RoboGal12
    Options
    I think those nonlogging days may be derailing you. Since I joined, I've been gaining and losing the same 2-3 pounds, but I have had a few nonlogging days along the way.

I've decided to be consistent with logging so that I have as accurate of data as possible, and I suggest you do the same. Try to be as accurate as possible without driving yourself crazy.

I've also been eating only about half of my exercise calories because I don't trust the estimates.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm going to be consistent about it from here on out. I do try to be as accurate as possible, but sadly, it does drive me crazy. Part of me tells myself, you've calculated everything, you can have this one cookie. But then another part says "NO FATTY YOU DON'T DESERVE COOKIES, BRING ON THE GUILT!", haha.
  • RoboGal12
    Options
    As previously mentioned - start by logging properly. You used "quick add" calories a lot...are you guessing? People commonly have the tendancy to significanly under guess the calories their are consuming. Not to be rude but I bet you are eating more than you think and/or not logging everything. Be honest with yourself...once you start logging every morsel of food you eat it can be very eye-opening!

I am not coordinated for Zumba, but good for you I bet it is an awesome workout!

No, I'm not guessing. Those are just times when I can't find something in MFP, so I Google it, and that's what I find. I just do the Quick Add because it's easier.

I do log EVERYTHING, with the exception of some previous dinners (for reasons mentioned in the OP), but I'll start logging that more consistently as well. Thanks!