Sprained ankle but want to work out... suggestions???

Options
Okay - so somehow I sprained my ankle ... I think... it started hurting on Thursday... Wed nite was Zumba and I am a preschool teacher with a very mulchy playground so I am not sure where it happened... I foolishly walked a 5K with my daughter on Saturday which likely didn't help.
But I went to 2 parties this weekend and didn't just stick to my fresh veggies! I stayed away from most desserts so at least there is that... but I really want to get back to working out hard... WHAT CAN I DO?!?!?!?!?!

Replies

• thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    It's important to give yourself time to heal if you are hurt. That being said, if you have a gym membership, go do some weight training to give your ankle time to heal. If you don't have a gym membership - maybe work on situps and get a cheap pair of dumb bells or resistance bands to do some workouts at home. Hope that helps some!
  • hallswan
    hallswan Posts: 90
    Options
    Swim - When I had an ankle op - I swimmed lots and lots - its good all over work out and an addition thing that you can do even when you are better
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options
    I'm also laid up with a sprained ankle and achilles tendonitis. The doc was very specific that I need to give it 2-3 weeks to heal, at which time, he suggested that I switch from walking to swimming.

Do give yourself time to heal. A couple of weeks now beats 2-3 months later if you injure it further (a friend of mine did, and it resulted in surgery, and several weeks of recuperation).

Good luck and take care of yourself!
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    I love resistance bands. A great way to do leg exercises without being on your feet.
  • corykirk72
    corykirk72 Posts: 2
    Options
    20 minutes of hot water that your skin can handle, follwed by immediate change into ice water. Will penitrate the nerves, and relax them. Also a lace up brace. Believe me I did this for years playing basketball. Right now I have a twisted vert in my lower back, and I am still doing at least 45 minute serious hike/run at a state park in Indiana. Lots of hills and rocks. Just try the heat, and Ice mix. Trust me it works. The chiroprator told me not to anything with my back, but I am like you I cant stand not getting to workout. The easiest way to stop working out is to take time off.

Good Luck