What goes well with cottage cheese and is 50 calories?

Options
Hi, just a quickie.. I'm planning my food diary for tomorrow and I am going to have a whole pot of cottage cheese (half for breakfast, half for lunch) as I'm trying to up my protein and I actually love cottage cheese to be honest. It'll be such a treat. I've planned what I will add to it for my lunch (tin of tuna and a side salad) but not my breakfast.. I don't really wanna just eat it with a spoon. What would go well with cottage cheese but is around 50 calories, give or take 20 or so?

(I am having a big dinner tomorrow night so am aiming for small breakfast and lunch)

Just fyi the half pot is 113 calories. I don't really wanna go too much over 165 calories for the breakfast.

Thanks!

P.S I don't like fruit with my cottage cheese so unfortunately an apple is out of the question!! It's a sweet and savoury thing.. not keen on them at the same time!

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    salsa
  • adamskidxo
    Options
    what about a plain cracker/crackers or flat bread, have a look down the biscuit isle in your local supermarket and there is alot of savoury crackers in all flavours and sizes :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    100g of pineapple
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i like cottage cheese and egg whites. Or eat it like a lettuce wrap and add spices.
    Or maybe dip in some celery and/or pretzels?

I personally like it plain.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes with a little salt..yum!!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    More cottage cheese?
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you can find them... add a cup of sliced strawberries or grapes. Or really any fruit is good just adjust the amount to meet your calorie goals.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is breakfast-y, but I actually love cottage cheese with corn. Measure out about a half cup of frozen niblets (no sauce), and nuke for 30-60 seconds or however long it takes.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    a good quantity of asparagus
  • LisaMarie110902
    Options
    Not sure if this is breakfast-y, but I actually love cottage cheese with corn. Measure out about a half cup of frozen niblets (no sauce), and nuke for 30-60 seconds or however long it takes.

Love that! Also some almonds?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Presumably you need veggies with your breakfast to hit your nine servings so chopped red bell pepper and spinach. Don't rely on cottage cheese for calcium, it's very low compared to most dairy.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I put a spoonful of sweet relish in it. Sometimes a little horseradish, too.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I really don't like fruit with cottage cheese..

The celery idea is an excellent one. In fact anything salad-y is a good idea because I love salad.

I don't really care if it's not that breakfasty, I don't tend to eat much breakfast food anyway! =D

Egg whites is a brilliant idea too, thanks! I am going to boil a couple tonight and bring them into work in the morning (I start work at 7:30am so eat breakkie here). Let's hope my tupperware box doesn't open in my bag on the tube. Although that'd be great because then no one would go near me and I get space while I commute, for once.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    a 1/2 cup of frozen berries or black cherries
  • NanahcubJess
    NanahcubJess Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I prefer my cottage cheese plain, but I know people who mix it with peaches or applesauce. I have had it on top of a salad before with tomatoes and cucumbers and it was delicious!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    50 calories of your favorite ground meat that has been cooked up with taco seasoning
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Love that! Also some almonds?

Not low calorie enough for me, but thank you!
  • xboomerx
    xboomerx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I mix in a table spoon of sugar free preserves it's only 5-10 calories and works nicely with cottage cheese. Smuckers makes different kinds and Walmart's Great Value brand has a few flavors too.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,811 Member
    Options
    Salad, I like to use cottage cheese as salad dressing, its so good
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    two tablespoons of all natural salsa. I use Frog Ranch salsa because the ingredient list is small, and the sodium is low, but the flavor is HIGH! I also enjoy 1/2 oz of walnuts with cinnamon on mine, but that may be a bit out of your calorie range since walnuts (like other nuts) are calorically dense due the the healthy fats.