Weight Training Women

Options
So, I have lost a bunch of weight and am down with the cardio.

One area I am still completely intimidated by is weight training. It's time to man up... erm.... woman up and get in the weight room.

I don't know anything about it though, form, how much to lift, how many sets to do, how many reps etc...

Do you stay on one particular muscle grouping for all sets and reps, or do you break it up? So if you want to do three sets of 20 benchpresses are you supposed to do that all in one go? Or alternate?

I've also heard that you shouldn't alternate your strength training (arms one day, abs the next etc) but should do three total body workouts in a week. Others subscribe to the one muscle group at a time theory. What do my fellow MFPers say?

LOL, okay, so any advice and/or resources for weight training would be greatly appreciated here!

Replies

• justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I use an ap on my phone called jefit... when I started I followed the "sample routine"s but now I have made my own...
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Look into New Rules of Lifting for Women or StrongLifts 5 x 5 - both are excelling starting programs and both have groups on the forums.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Here's a good beginner's routine from another forum:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

The thread is very long, but all the information you need is included in the first post. He's built the routine around compound/multi-joint movements and included built-in load cycling and progression. It's a very sensible, simple routine.
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will be checking all of them out!
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Once you've read up a bit, make sure you ask the gym staff for advice on using the machinery properly - any decent gym should do such an introduction free of charge and doing weights with proper form is important.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Incidentally I'm by no means advanced but my strength routine at the moment (in no particular order) is:

Squats - 3 sets of 18
    Planks - 2 sets of 45 seconds
    Girly pushups - 3 sets of 10
    TRX suspension rows - 3 sets of 10
    Chest flies - 2 sets of 10 at 3kg
    Chest press - 2 sets of 10 at 22.5kg, 1 set of 10 at 25kg
    Sumo dead lift - 2 sets of 20 at 20kg

Yup, hardly impressive weights there but everyone has to start somewhere.... Most of the focus is on my arms as well but I can really see a difference in them.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    hey im going to be 53 next month and i love weight training. its a whole different world . for me its a great stress reliever and i feel great when im done . i get more energy out of weight training than i do cardio most the time . doesnt hurt to give it a try at least
  • Linda345
    Options
    What works for me is doing:
    Day 1: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
    Day 2: Back/Biceps
    Day 3: Legs/Abs
    Day 4: Rest
    Repeat, so that every 8 days I am hitting each major muscle group twice, with sufficient recovery time for each muscle group for me before I work it again.

When starting out, start out slow, perhaps just one set for just a very few exercises for the muscles you are working that day. Also, when you first start out, you will need more recovery time for each muscle group until your muscles get used to it.

I highly recomend the following web site:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/
    When you look at info on the web, keep in mind you should use some skeptisism....lots of bad info out there.
    Also, I'd recomend a personal trainer to get you into a routine at first and show you good form if you can afford it.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You may enjoy Jamie Eason's Live Fit program on bodybuilding.com
  • Shannon16385
    Options
    Look into New Rules of Lifting for Women or StrongLifts 5 x 5 - both are excelling starting programs and both have groups on the forums.

I second New Rules of Lifting for Women- I'm currently in stage one right now and find the program very easy to follow.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I try to mix my cardio and strength training. The routine that works for me is:
    Monday Back/Biceps-I do 4-6 exercise for each muscle group for 4 sets of 12-15 reps each-I picked my exercises from Body Building.com
    Tuesday-Shoulders/Legs
    Wednesday-Easy Cardio
    Thursday-Chest/Triceps
    Friday-HIIT
    Saturday-Long Run (between 6-12 miles-I have a half marathon coming up in April)
    Sunday-Easy Cardio/Rest

I tried to do weight training and cardio on the same day before, but was spending too long in the gym for my taste. With the exception of my long run days I prefer to be done in less than 75 minutes. I have not seen a loss in progress in terms of my weight training. I am still going up in weight or number of reps even though I am working each muscle group once per week.

My guess is that once you find a training plan that you like that you will still tweak it to make it work for you. As other people have mentioned Scooby's site or Body Building.com have good starting points for training plans. I have a few friends that follow NROLFW too and like it.

Good luck and you will LOVE what strength training does for your body.
  • alisonsurf
    alisonsurf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am following the Body for Life method and lift 3x weekly and do HIIT cardio 3x. I supplement that with some extra low resistance cardio (I have a spin bike). It was my introduction to weightlifting 10 years ago and I lost all the baby weight and reshaped my whole body. If only I had remembered the 'for Life' part!!:ohwell:

Be fearless and get out there!
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your success thus far. It's amazing!

Good advise here. It's a great idea to incorporate strength training as you move forward from here. While I started strength training from the very beginning, it's never too late to start. Since you seem to have no experience with it, If you can afford it, consider hiring a personal trainer. Someone who works with women who have been in your shoes.

For me, as a previously obese and very self conscious woman, having a trainer teach me gave me the self-confidence to go in on my own.... I wasn't afraid of looking like an ignorant idiot who didn't know what she was doing.... That was a big part of my fear and yet became a big part of my success. It's true that knowledge is power.

If you can't afford a trainer (I work with mine 2-3 times every 6 - 7 wks), then be sure and coral a gym worker to simply show you how to use the machines. Start low, weights, concentrate on GOOD FORM. Read books (start with the library, no point buying something until you know you'll use it) those mentioned here are good, but I found the prescribed programs in New Rules for Women difficult to understand. I did end up buying Anatomy of STrength Training (Pat Manocchia) cause of it's simple approach to 5 big compound moves and the diagrams of muscles worked....

Personally I think that compound exercises are the best, especially at the beginning. You'll get a lot of bang for your effort and as you develop greater overall strength, in the big and small muscles, you'll be better prepared (and injury free) for taking the strength training to the next level.

Again, congratulations on your success thus far and best wishes for success in the next part of your journey.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I read NROL4W, I am in week 3 and loving it.