Oatmeal Recipes

Options
I am trying to eat oatmeal (quick oats), not the instant, but can't stand the taste. Anyone have any great oatmeal recipes? My breakfast needs to be around 300 calories.

Thanks!

Replies

• aprilmlove3
    Options
    I am not an oatmeal person at all..but I have been eating it like this and it seems to be working for me. I use a pack on plain instant oatmeal...add a tablespoon of peanut butter and a mini dark chocolate bar. It taste like a melted no bake cookie. Good luck with finding a recipe that will work!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat oatmeal (quick oats), not the instant, but can't stand the taste. Anyone have any great oatmeal recipes? My breakfast needs to be around 300 calories.

Thanks!

My usual breakfast is as follows:
    1/4 cup oats - 75 calories
    1/2 scoop protein powder - 60 calories
    1/2 cup blueberries - 42 calories
    1/4 cup greek yogurt - 40 claories
    Total breakfast - 217
  • Tinayoucandoit
    Tinayoucandoit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out pinterest. They have a ton. I really like the website theyummylife.com. They have an overnight no cook refrigerator oatmeal, it's awesome. We really like the blueberry and the raspberry.
  • dnisius
    Options
    try cinnamon and vanilla
  • kalthyallen
    Options
    Hi, Try the old fashion kind with water and add 1/2 of a banana or other fruit (apples, pears, blueberries) I eat this every am and it stays with you and the cooked fruit gives it a great flavor. I eat it without milk, it's so good.
    Enjoy!
    Kathy
  • amandacowan1978
    amandacowan1978 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Thanks!

My usual breakfast is as follows:
    1/4 cup oats - 75 calories
    1/2 scoop protein powder - 60 calories
    1/2 cup blueberries - 42 calories
    1/4 cup greek yogurt - 40 claories
    Total breakfast - 217

Love it! That sounds pretty awesome.

I slice a banana INTO my oatmeal while it's cooking. I also add some chia seeds, which adds bulk and fiber without a ton of calories. The banana sweetens the oatmeal and sort of melts right into it. To this you can add whatever, cinnamon, honey, walnuts (my fave!), cottage cheese, ricotta, cream cheese.

I'm going to include a link to Chocolate Covered Katie. She's got TONS of great ideas for breakfast oatmeal varieties. I've tried lots and I never get bored.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/all-things-oatmeal/

Her pancake recipes are the best too! And all of them keep me at about 300-350 (then I usually add a piece of fruit and my almond/coconut milk iced coffee to get to around 400 cals. Check them out! All her recipes are pretty great actually. She adds a variety of options for each one based on dietary needs, vegan, gluten free, etc.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I put cinnamon and raisins in mine.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I add cinnamon and peanut butter to mine.
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't like oatmeal (texture) but I like overnight oats. Overnight oats are just rolls oats soaked overnight with any liquid (yogurt, milk- almond, rice, cow)I have made tons of different flavors You can add fruits, nuts or whatever you like.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I make this every second night for breakfast the next morning;

In a 2 cup mason jar add:

1/2 cup large flake oats
    2 tsp oat bran
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp brown sugar
    80 grams greek yogourt (I like vanilla or plain)
    1/2 to 3/4 cup almond milk
    (Sometimes I add raisins or leave out cinnamon and use raspberries, blueberries etc.)

Stir well, stick in fridge for a few hours or overnight.

About 300 cals.
  • vanessalkl
    Options
    Try this peanut butter and banana oatmeal! It's about 250 calories.

1/3 cup of rolled oats(the regular kind)
    1/2 banana
    1 egg white
    1 tablespoon peanut butter
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Cinnamon(optional)
    Sweetener-can be agave, honey or any sugar substitute(optional) I use Stevia to cut down on calories

1. Cook oats according to package.
    2. While waiting for oats to cook, chop and mash the banana.
    3. Beat the egg white. Add in vanilla extract.
    4. When water is almost fully absorbed, add in egg white and stir quickly.
    5. Add in mashed banana and sweetener.
    6. Stir in peanut butter and add a dash of cinnamon.

You can also leave this in the fridge overnight.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I like adding canned pumpkin, a sprinkling of chopped walnuts, and some freshly ground cinnamon.

I also like bananas (fresh or dried) and some flaked (unsweetened) coconut.
  • smallbutcurvy
    Options
    I add raw cacao powder, makes it lovely and chocolaty without the calories!
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you are cooking oatmeal and not using the instant, have you tried steel cut oats? They have a nuttier flavor then rolled oats and have a different mouth feel. I think of rolled oats and steel cut oat as two different item. Sometime I am in the mood for rolled oats and sometime it is steel cut.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    I make breakfast cookies similar to this recipe (I don't use coconut, but, it sounds like a good addition).

http://www.food.com/recipe/healthy-peanut-butter-banana-oatmeal-cookies-499315

I don't actually use a recipe, I just throw things together based on how many overripe bananas I have until I get the dough to the consistency I want. When I want sweet I add chocolate chips.

Steel Cut Oats are also good, and they are much better reheated than rolled oats, so if you eat them everyday you can make up a big batch at one time.
  • sierrade53
    sierrade53 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like mine with chopped apple, walnuts, cinnamon and a little bit of greek yogurt. The yogurt makes it thick and creamy and the apples and walnuts add crunch.To sweeten I add a small amount of sugar-free vanilla syrup.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Old thread but always useful!

I've done

Nutella
    Chocolate protein powder with a bit of sugar
    Chocolate chips, coconut and almonds
    Apples and cinnamon
    Pumpkin, rolled oats, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, sugar (a bit too much by mistake but it was delish),vanilla, pumpkin pie spices and cinnamon, just cook the whole thing for 5-10 minutes
    My favorite is still almond butter and jelly (plus a scoop of vanilla protein powder)
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Check out the blog the oatmeal artist. Tons of recipes.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Yummmmmyyyy