Breakfast is the most important meal??

Options
What do you guys eat for breakfast? I see so many posts about breakfast and trying to keep it lo-cal and i just wonder why? It's called break-fast for a reason. It's the meal that jump starts your metabolism for the day, so why would you short change your body nutritionally by skimping?

I've lost 20lbs in 4 months (3 before joining MFP) and I rarely RARELY eat breakfast that consists of less than 400-500 calories. I exercise and I RARELY eat less than 1800 calories a day. I'm 5'9" so it's not like I'm super tall. I've gone from roughly 27-30% fat to 20-22% fat. I make sure I eat a varied diet that includes carbs, protein, fat, etc. No food is off limits but I do tend to stay away from processed things.

So I guess I'm just wondering why so many folks here seem to cheat themselves with their breakfasts?

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I approve of this thread
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    So I guess I'm just wondering why so many folks here seem to cheat themselves with their breakfasts?

I don't want to boost my metabolism, my grocery bill is high enough as is.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

I've said the same thing about people who tease lightweights at the bar...
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    coffee.

i dont break my fast until noon usually and my metabolism is just fine
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    everyone is different and has to find what works for them..when i tipped the scales at 300 lbs i knew it was time to evaluate my eating habits.. i never ate breakfast, ate watching tv ALOT, and was a late night eater.

i started eating breakfast , do not eat in front of the tv any more and find that i am not hungry at night any longer . i do try to have something healthy in the evening so i dont feel famished by morning

my breakfast varies depending on what i feel like eating. typcially its steel cut oats with chia seeds and eggwhite omelet with no cheese.. today it was a myoplex bar..other times a sandwich or a protein shake ..sometimes whole grain pancakes
  • amandacowan1978
    amandacowan1978 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    everyone is different and has to find what works for them..when i tipped the scales at 300 lbs i knew it was time to evaluate my eating habits.. i never ate breakfast, ate watching tv ALOT, and was a late night eater.

i started eating breakfast , do not eat in front of the tv any more and find that i am not hungry at night any longer . i do try to have something healthy in the evening so i dont feel famished by morning

my breakfast varies depending on what i feel like eating. typcially its steel cut oats with chia seeds and eggwhite omelet with no cheese.. today it was a myoplex bar..other times a sandwich or a protein shake ..sometimes whole grain pancakes

You sound like me! I sometimes do the bars especially when I'm on the go with no time to cook. I'm lucky though because I found a local resource that makes these great homemade energy bars with all recognizable ingredients. I've tried making them myself and they end up pretty gross.

But your meals sound just like mine!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I had a 750 calorie breakfast today.
    I didn't eat breakfast yesterday.
    *shrugs*
  • amandacowan1978
    amandacowan1978 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    And I guess I meant to direct this post towards those trying to lose weight. If you're not concerned where your metabolism is at then I suppose this doesn't apply.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Preach it brother
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day if

a) you have generally disregulated eating habits and / or
    b) you are not conscious of the number of calories you are consuming and /or
    c) it prevents you from over eating during the rest of the day, particularly in the evening where it is generally most common.

Whether the individual fits into these criteria is for them to know.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I had a 750 calorie breakfast today.
    I didn't eat breakfast yesterday.
    *shrugs*

That is good, you are confusing your body
  • soberstudent
    Options
    I just have 2 slices of toast and a cup of coffee (no milk)
    cant stand eating breakfast, so thats a forced breakfast.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day if

a) you have generally disregulated eating habits and / or
    b) you are not conscious of the number of calories you are consuming and /or
    c) it prevents you from over eating during the rest of the day, particularly in the evening where it is generally most common.

Whether the individual fits into these criteria is for them to know.

ps: for breakfast I usually have a berry smoothie with a couple of scoops of protein powder, eggs or bran based cereal (or sometimes all three ;)
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    And I guess I meant to direct this post towards those trying to lose weight. If you're not concerned where your metabolism is at then I suppose this doesn't apply.

meal timing does not affect your metabolism significantly.

in fact, saving my calories for later in the day has allowed me to be successful in losing weight, I am very happy to have more snacks at night,,,in front of the tv...it makes me satisfied, where i used to stress about eating later.

and i am losing weight
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast. I go workout at the Y at 5:30am. When I get home, I am starving! I usually eat breakfast around 7:30am. I do wonder though if I should make breakfast my big meal of the day - instead of dinner?
  • LusciousLady
    LusciousLady Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree. I learned the hard way...breakfast is the most important part of the day and mine is based on how I feel. It can range from oatmeal to a full blown bacon, eggs and pancakes. I also have my fast food breakfast days.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Eating 'big' in the morning is a non-starter for me. I've gone decades without eating breakfast at all. Nowadays, eating 'big' for my first meal of the day will make my nauseous and/or very sleepy. I will drink 8oz OJ and have a small snack-like item (1 fruit or 1 yogurt) and that's plenty to hold me until lunch (1p-2pm-ish). Please note: I have a sedentary job and I never workout before work... always after. I'd probably do differently if I was a morning person.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    So, if I decide one day to go to bed early, say between 6 - 8 p.m. and sleep until about 5 or 6 am so about 11-12 hours, and then get up, shower, etc and eat about 30 minutes to an hour after I get up so about 12-13 hours from when I went to sleep, plus I had dinner at 5, so 13-14 hours since my last meal...how is that different than eating dinner at about 7 pm, having a snack around 9 pm, going to bed at 11 pm, getting up at 6 and having my first meal at 11 am or noon? It's still about a 14-15 hour "fast."

Breakfast is called breakfast because you are breaking your fast....so, technically, the first time I eat or drink anything, I'm officially breaking my fast, so my first meal, whether it's 6 am or 2 pm is really breakfast. Or am I missing the whole point?
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism does not need to be "jump started". You could consume your daily calorie goal at one time if that tickles your fancy.

Meal timing is of no importance. It is all personal preference. Some people want to eat breakfast, some people don't. Some people eat three meals a day, some people eat 6 meals a day, ect. Being at a calorie deficit is what will induce weight loss, not whether or not you eat "breakfast"!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

meal timing does not affect your metabolism significantly.

in fact, saving my calories for later in the day has allowed me to be successful in losing weight, I am very happy to have more snacks at night,,,in front of the tv...it makes me satisfied, where i used to stress about eating later.

and i am losing weight

Your avi looks like you lost too much