Crock Pot/Slow Cooker Recipes

Options
Hello all! I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for slow cooker or crock pot recipes that are delicious and somewhat healthy. My husband is not a big health nut, hence the "somewhat healthy" term :smile: It's just me and my husband, so it's hard to find recipes online that are listed for just 2-4 servings versus 6-8 servings. We are big chicken eaters, so anything chicken would be great! But whatever you have, I'm open to suggestions. I work 8 hour days so I'm looking for something that I could throw together in the crock pot and let it cook while I'm at work. Thanks in advance for the suggestions! :happy:

Replies

• naomibabes3
    Options
    I recently used my slow cooker to make salsa chicken for me and my boyfriend, put two chicken breasts in with a big pot of fresh salsa and cooked on low for 6 hours, about an hour before I took it out I shredded it with a fork and sitrred to coat the chicken in salsa, it was delicious! You can then use for fajitas, sandwiches, queadillas, on jacket potatoes, etc.

I'm trying a BBQ pulled pork this weekend which I'll serve with mash and use the left overs for wraps, sandwiches etc! I manage to fit both in my calories for a main meal :)
  • sally414
    Options
    Hungry Girl has a great pulled bbq chicken recipe that you make in the slow cooker. I think the basic ingredients for the sauce are tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar,. So good! Look it up!

Otherwise I haven't had much success with my slow cooker. Most stuff comes out tasting the same!
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    one of my favorites is: 2 chicken breasts in the crock pot, add a cup of salsa, a can of black beans, a cup for frozen corn, taco seasoning and any other seasonings as well. once the chicken is cooked shred it and you can put it on top of brown rice, quinoa or put in tortilla shells. i have also thrown in a block of cream cheese with it and you could add green/red peppers and onion....
  • cpa6533
    cpa6533 Posts: 12
    Options
    I made this in my crock pot yesterday. It was super good and my family mowed it back! Also took it for lunch today, and it reheated very well.

4 pork loin chops (about 4 oz each)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 envelope dry onion soup mix
    1/2 cup water, chicken broth, or white wine
    1 medium onion, sliced
    1 package mushrooms, sliced

Put the chops in the bottom of the crock pot. Put the onions and mushrooms on top. Mix the can of soup, dry soup mix, and water together then pour over the top. Cook on low for 8 hours.

Ran this through the calorie counter and got 350 calories a serving.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is Southwestern Chicken & White Bean Soup

1 TBSP Canola oil
    1 lb Chicken breast (cut into 1-in cubes)
    1 can Chicken Broth (I use the Swanson 99% fat-free)
    1 cup Pace chunky medium salsa
    3 tsp minced garlic
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 can drained white beans
    1 cup frozen corn
    1 med. onion (chopped, about 1 cup)

Lightly brown the chicken in a pan with oil, then add to crock pot with all other ingredients. Cook on high about 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Makes 4 large servings or 6 smaller servings. If measured out in 4 servings, comes out to around 305 cal., 35g carb., 6g fat, 34g protein per serving.

And if you like more veggies, sometimes I will add some sliced carrots to this.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl has a great pulled bbq chicken recipe that you make in the slow cooker. I think the basic ingredients for the sauce are tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar,. So good! Look it up!

Otherwise I haven't had much success with my slow cooker. Most stuff comes out tasting the same!

I made this last week, and it was delicious. Everybody loved it! And soooo easy!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • mssmith0516
    Options

I'm definitely going to look this up and try it! Thank you to everyone for all of the yummy recipes! I've been married 3 years and have yet to use my crock pot. I guess anytime is better than never :smile:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Things can come out tasting the same in the crockpot if you always use a soup base - try using different sups, add bouillon/stock and different herb or seasonings. try "crockpot lady (365 day challenge)" for some excellent recipes. I find you need to add more herbs than other methods, but not sure why.
  • atichnell
    Options
    I have a few things for you, first a pulled pork recipe. I make this with a 3lb pork shoulder (sometimes called a pork butt) roast and I think it's better (and cheaper) than making it with a pork tenderloin. It makes about 10-12 decent sized sandwiches. You can adapt this by getting a smaller roast or cutting a bigger roast in half and freezing the other half. This is really good as leftovers and reheats really well, so I don't mind having extra. When I make this it comes out to be a little over 300 calories per serving for just the pulled pork (no bread).

My recipe is:
    Pork should roast (whatever size you can find or want)
    Rootbeer (varies on how much, see below)
    BBQ sauce
    Garlic Powder
    Onion Powder
    Salt and Pepper

Season the roast with garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Place in crock pot. Pour in rootbeer to cover 2/3 to 3/4 of the roast. Turn on low and let cook for 7-8 hours (can be done on high for less time, but lower is better). Remove roast, drain liquid but reserve about a cup. Shred the pork and return it to the crock pot (I remove any fat at this point, don't need that added back in). Add just a little of the reserved liquid until the pork looks moist. Add BBQ sauce if desired and enjoy!

Here is the link to the original recipe

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Pulled-Pork/Detail.aspx

Edit: I forgot to add the other resource. I don't know how healthy her recipes are, but I love this site for Crock pot recipes. :) I just adapt them to be healthier if I can.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
  • jrmommy23
    jrmommy23 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...:smile:
  • sandhop
    sandhop Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love recipes where I actually have all the ingredients. I just put it in the crock pot and when I get home...my dinner is ready!
    Thank you!
  • mamaof3grlz
    Options
    bump
  • slackey77
    slackey77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I've made this version before and it turned out pretty good! Making your own BBQ sauce can save a ton of calories!
  • grgnelson
    grgnelson Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Talk about easy
    3 frozen chicken breasts
    1 can Rotel
    1 envelope taco seasoning
    1 can black beans

In that order-cook on high for 8 hours
    When you get home, shred the chicken and let cook for another 15 minutes/

You can serve on tortillas, in taco shells or even drain and serve over lettuce if you want.

Tastes great.
  • sandhop
    sandhop Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This was the best meal I've had all week...added a few onion and green pepper to the mix, shred the chicken and let it simmer a bit longer and spread some low fat sour cream on the tortilla shell before I rolled it up. Used 2 chicken breasts and it made a recipe for 5 meals. Fantastic!
  • SweetToothMelissa
    SweetToothMelissa Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    bump! I have done the salsa chicken too....but I do chicken breasts, 1 cup of salsa and a can of cream of mushroom....yum. Chicken is so tender.

Also pot roast is super easy. Put roast in crockpot, and sprinkle with lipton onion soup mix, fill half way with water, and surroud with cubed potatoes and carrots. 8 hours on low.
  • kristicraft
    Options
    Here's an easy one! Mix one can of cream of mushroom soup and one jar of picante sauce together and put in the crockpot. Add 3 or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts to the crockpot. Cook on low 6-7 hours. Shred the chicken once it is done cooking. You can serve the mixture over rice or mashed potatoes. You could also make a mexican meal out of it by putting it inside a corn or flour tortilla like a burrito or serve it over some baked tortilla chips. I know it sounds like a terrible recipe (to me at least) but it really is scrumptious. Enjoy!
  • ThePinkSheep
    ThePinkSheep Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thank you. All for the great recipes!
  • kristicraft
    Options
    Bump