Recommend a FUN way to GAIN MUSCLE?

Options
I HATE exercising. HATE IT!

I enjoy "activities" like dancing ... but I need something that will help me gain MUSCLE, not just aerobic.

Something FUN ... and QUICK ... as I have a challenge I need to upload my photos for in 60 days.

Any ideas?

THANKS!!!

Replies

• cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's still "exercising" and it's gonna build huge muscles but will help tone muscles a bit and you'll get stronger...

I do leg lifts when I'm laying on my stomach watching TV or online (you can add ankle weights or resistance bands)... you can also so the same with sit-ups and other exercises that use body resistance... not really "fun" but you'll be distracted from the fact you're exercising :)

And even though you don't like exercise... you might if you find something more enjoyable... Body Pump and everything else that's part of the Les Mills program is great, it has really awesome music and it's just a ton of fun! I dunno, look into it or other group classes that you might find enjoyable.
  • kanncm
    kanncm Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? There are a lot of classes available like Body Pump, Body Combat, Sha-bam or Zumba. I found a Spartan Warrior bootcamp at a local gym, which is AWESOME! Or you could try something like Crossfit or Martial Arts.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    do you garden? Like serious digging and carrying heavy plants etc could help. I know it helped my dad maintain his muslce while very ill and undergoing treatments.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Piloxing!
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Well....the only way you are going to GAIN muscle is to eat at a calorie surplus and lift heavy weights.

If you are looking to change your body composition....what's working for me is eating at a small deficit and lifting heavy 3x per week doing a full body routine. I love it and I find it "fun".
  • Athena4E
    Athena4E Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love to dance too :-D

You should try Calisthenics!

Also, have you ever tried holding a balanced position for a long time? Like holding a plank for a minute, or holding your toes off the ground for a minute while lying down, holding a bridge form etc?

No weights required. Practice length of time and patience. Builds core strength etc.

I think it's fun!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle, is to gain weight. To gain weight you need calorie surplus. To build muscle you have to do PROGRESSIVE OVERALOAD. That entails exercise. Sorry, but that's the way it works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, eat more food.

I don't consider lifting an exercise; it's fun. And hey, so is eating more. ^_^
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Strength training or hard labor coupled with calorie surplus. You're going to have to work hard for it, I'm sorry (not really).
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Pik a waky utube exersice video to copy. Pik a new one each day.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Build a steel replica of the Death Star with your bare hands in your back yard

Or lift heavy and eat a surplus
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Strength training stinks for the first couple weeks until you really start doing it. Then you start lifting heavier and heavier things, and before you know it, you're enjoying it.

I'm not exactly the poster child of buff women, but I have started to love strength days, and cardio has become secondary for me.

It's a mental challenge far more than it is a physical one.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Rock climbing! Full-body workout, and tons of fun!
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle, is to gain weight. To gain weight you need calorie surplus. To build muscle you have to do PROGRESSIVE OVERALOAD. That entails exercise. Sorry, but that's the way it works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

all i gotta say, is GO 49ers!! :)
  • stefosaurusrawrrrr
    Options
    Yoga! I've found that my upper body strength is increasing a lot with yoga.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    If you do dancing exercises like Zumba or Turbo Jam, I would try weighted gloves. They've done wonders for my arms. Also, maybe try just 5 minutes after you do a cardio workout, so it's not so bad :)
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I wish someone could recommend a FUN way to lose weight and GAIN muscle without DIET or EXERCISE :D

Just kidding of course...
  • JustThriveCo
    Options
    Thanks! I DO try distracting myself with TV or a Movie ... but I think that's my problem. I get BORED lifting. Have tried the Les Mills classes ... not a fan. Thank you for sharing, though! I appreciate it.
  • JustThriveCo
    Options
    well, Okie Tink, I actually lost 15lbs and amazingly gained muscle at the same time WITHOUT EXERCISING or counting calories ... it was super easy with nutritional rebalancing (toxins OUT intense amounts of organic super clean nutrition IN) ... I lost 15 lbs and went from a size 16 to a very loose 10.

But now I need to up my game and add the exercise component to compete in a transformation challenge. I'm competing in the youthful aging category, since I'll be 50 in September.

I want to look better than I did when I was 30. I was thin ... but have come to learn I was skinny fat (thin, but little muscle).

Lean muscle is my goal for joining here and getting tips from others!
  • JustThriveCo
    Options
    If you do dancing exercises like Zumba or Turbo Jam, I would try weighted gloves. They've done wonders for my arms. Also, maybe try just 5 minutes after you do a cardio workout, so it's not so bad :)

Bonnie Jo! That is an EXCELLENT idea ... weighted gloves while doing something fun like Zumba! don't know Turbo Jam ... will go search! I LOVE dancing, so that could be the KEY!!!