Recommend a FUN way to GAIN MUSCLE?

Options
2»

Replies

• JustThriveCo
    Options
    kanncm ... I heard Crossfit was fun ... but the videos I've seen make it look like joining the Army.

I also did a bootcamp for 2 months a few years ago. It was INTENSE and MISERABLE and I only lost 7lbs and one pants size for dragging myself there 5 days a week and disliking every moment. HUGELY disappointing results. She even had me count every single calorie ... ugh.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i am new to Insanity and its killing me but i expect i will be more tone when the 8 weeks are up
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    well, Okie Tink, I actually lost 15lbs and amazingly gained muscle at the same time WITHOUT EXERCISING or counting calories ... it was super easy with nutritional rebalancing (toxins OUT intense amounts of organic super clean nutrition IN) ... I lost 15 lbs and went from a size 16 to a very loose 10.

But now I need to up my game and add the exercise component to compete in a transformation challenge. I'm competing in the youthful aging category, since I'll be 50 in September.

I want to look better than I did when I was 30. I was thin ... but have come to learn I was skinny fat (thin, but little muscle).

Lean muscle is my goal for joining here and getting tips from others!
    Hate to tell you didn't GAIN muscle if you didn't exercise. All you did was reduce body fat and displayed the muscle that was already there.
    Don't buy into the "toxins" thing either. If toxins existed in the body, one would be hospitalized. There are "free radicals" but those are countered by antioxidants.
    Use progressive overload, set of 3-4 and reps of 8-12 with as much weight as you can handle. Also consume enough protein because you CAN'T build muscle without it. Carbs and fats don't build muscle tissue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I get BORED lifting.

Then I'd say you didn't push yourself hard enough. Very little feels as good as pushing up a new record (weight-wise, or rep-wise), looking at the iron, and saying, "Ha! Kicked your butt!" Pride may technically be a sin, but it feels damn good.

Follow ninerbuff's recommendation regarding progressive loading. You'll make progress every workout - so every time you lift? You'll get the above rush of having done better than before.
  • Toledus666
    Options
    Rock climbing! Full-body workout, and tons of fun!

This is best answer, hands down. If you can find a local rock gym grab a buddy; I believe most places will have you take an initial belaying course, but after you are free to climb like you're a kid again. Graded paths make it an excellent workout for experienced climbers and begginers alike. And 30 min climbing will leave you feeling like you did some serious strength training (especially forearms).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I occasionally enjoy those fitness trails where you walk or run from station to station.

If you actually want muscle gains, be sure to set your MFP to only -.5/ week and eat back your exercise calories.
  • loriamcq
    Options
    This may be just as silly as some of the other answers on here, but it was fun for me... Redo a room in your house. Carrying drywall, sanding, painting, etc... burns tons of calories and tones muscles. My husband and I did a whole cabin ourselves, and now we're planning a redo of our laundry room. Even if you dont have a room in your house to do, volunteering and just getting out and about and doing things for your community is a great way to not only burn calories and tone, but to make new friends.