This hurts!

Options
Ok, so I have worked really hard. Everyday since Christmas I have worked out except one day. It's not always a stellar session. Sometimes I can only bare a slow 30 on the eliptical but I have done it. I am in pain. I have tried, Ibuprofen, Aleve, Aspercreme, Heating pads, Ice but truely my whole body hurts! The only time I feel like I am getting real relief is in the shower and my hot water heater doesn't last as long as I would like! I don't want to not workout as I eat my exercise calories. Has anyone else had this problem? What has worked?

Anything helpful would be appreciated!

Replies

• 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and rest. You probably shouldn't be working out every single day. Aim for 5 days a week, that way your body has a chance to recuperate.
  • KCharron20
    Options
    Did you start having pain right away? If you didn't, maybe your working out too much. Maybe try taking a week off. Your body might just need a rest.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    What kind of pain? Joint pain? Muscle pain?

After a month, if you are not constantly increasing the intensity by large steps, it is probably time to see a medical professional.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Rest.
  • Ailorn
    Ailorn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Maybe your calories are set too low. You dont have to exercise every day to lose weight, but if you're starving and you feel you need to exercise to be able to eat more then something is off. Check out the post road map 2.0. When i first started i was exercising every day and eating it all back and still starving. I upped my daily calories to within healthy limits and I'm feeling much better. Another thing to consider is if you are eating below your BMR then your body doesnt have enough energy to effectively repair damage done during exercise.
  • garydrb
    Options
    Take 1 day off a week. The big thing that will help you the most IMO is to drink a recovery protein shake. Your muscles are tired and need fuel. Enter Protein. If you don't have money or choose not to purchase energy drinks studies show that a small glass of chocolate milk will have the same effect. When I really push hard and miss a recovery drink I ache for 2 -3 days. After 200lbs lost this is one of my big keys!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Actual pain or soreness? There's a huge difference.

If you are in pain, stop what you are doing and if it persists, seek medical attention for the problem. If you are sore, take some rest days (a few to recover, then 2 per week).

Also, if you are in actual pain, heat is not the answer. When you use heat, you are increasing the inflammation around the painful area. Ice is the answer (20 minutes on, 20 minutes off). Heat is fine for muscle soreness though - just not pain.
  • GloMash710
    GloMash710 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Is it muscular or joint pain?

For muscular soreness this usually works for me:

Taking a 1-2 day break between weight training sessions.
    Yoga and stretching.
    Hot baths.
    I use a microwavable neck wrap and lay it on my sore areas for a few minutes then massage them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You need rest days for starters...you shouldn't be exercising 7 days per week. The body needs time to repair itself. If you're actually in pain, you may have an injury and you should get it checked out...not uncommon for people who over train. If it's soreness, your muscles just need recovery time.
  • crubinetti
    crubinetti Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My muscles are sore. My bones are fine, maybe even inproved. But I find myself being stiffer at rest than I have ever have been. After a workout and a cool down, if I sit down, when I get up, it is harder than ever to move. I drink tons of water!!! I think its an inflammatory thing but I am not sure if I need to see a doctor or if this is a no pain no gain sort of thing. I just started a recovery drink the last 2 days. I have not noticed a difference but it's only been 2 days.