Wrist pain when lifting weights?

Options
I had my first proper session of lifting weights yesterday and really enjoyed it! However, towards the end of my session my left wrist when doing standing arm curls ached alot, it almost felt like there was a large amount of pressure on my skin exerted from the inside of my wrist. I haven't had a problem with this wrist before and it didn't happen to my other wrist.

Basically is it my technique or do I have a weak wrist and need to get some support straps or something?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    They do have wrist wraps that help, but I would first look at your form and/or the type of bar you're using (if you're using a barbell)
  • csimpson954
    Options
    I've also found that stretching my wrists helps alleviate the pain. If it isn't a form issue or injury, maybe that would help.
  • jess_austin
    Options
    I was using the long bar (I don't know the technical term as only just started out!) But if they are any diagram links or anything that shows me where best to put my hands to improve my form that would be so appreciated!!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I was using the long bar (I don't know the technical term as only just started out!) But if they are any diagram links or anything that shows me where best to put my hands to improve my form that would be so appreciated!!

Try this bar:

0074117847069_500X500.jpg

You can play with your hand position to find what feels the most comfortable.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    I began to suffer wrist pain when my lifts got heavier, specifically in my left wrist and while doing pinwheel curls.It was getting to the point where lifting was too painful. What helped me tremendously was acupunture and electroshock therapy. After four sessions it was at least 75% percent better. The doctor said it was scar tissue that had built up over time, constricting the muscle and connective tissue.
  • Divamc
    Divamc Posts: 21
    Options
    If this is a chronic issue, you should have a doctor check it. I had been having problems with my wrists during exercising for a while. After they started hurting really bad, I had them checked and found out that I have bilateral carpal tunnel syndrom. When you feel pain, that is your body telling you that something is wrong.