Am I overweight?

Options
I am 19 yrs old, and I am a dance teacher, so I lead a pretty active life. However, I do love to eat, and sometimes put men to shame with how much I food I can put down. I weigh 145 lbs, but a lot of that is muscle. I have a pretty flat stomach, but I have wide hips and a big, ahem, booty. I have a round face, and thicker arms as well, you could say I'm shaped like an hourglass. Does anyone think that I'm at risk for being over-weight? My dad is a workout-aholic but my mom had gastric bypass surgery a few yrs ago, (obesity is a problem on her side of the family) but now she weighs as much as I do. Anyways, does anyone think I'm at risk for obesity or need to cut back on the food? I would appreciate your help. Also, how do you measure body fat?

Replies

• IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Genes/genetics do play a part in how your body is going to react to things as it gets older. Personally, I would try to aim to be as healthy as you can now to prevent anything that could happen in the future.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: If you are asking these questions, then it's a good time to look at what you are eating
    do you eat lean meat and fish, lots of veggies and fruits, and complex carbs? Those are good foods and if you are active, you'll burn the calories you consume. However, if you are eating sugar, white flour, too many desserts and processed foods, then it's time to make some changes. You can learn a lot about healthy eating on MFP.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you aren't--unless you're like, 4'10". MFP has a BMI calculator (under the "tools" tab) that you can use to get a rough idea of overweightness, although if you're mostly muscle it'll rank you a little more more "overweight" than you actually are. (As an example, I was 145 at 5'6", and that's a perfectly normal weight, so like I said, I'm guessing you aren't overweight). Another measure you can pair with the BMI calculator is waist circumference (basically, use a tape measure and measure your waist--for women, I believe it should be 30 inches or less). If both your BMI and WC are normal, you can rest assured that you're not overweight. (Just make sure to keep your diet healthy!!)
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    with out knowing your height, no one can tell you if you are over weight. if we knew your height we could tell you your BMI, that would give you and Idea, but since you said you are muscular, it probably would say you were higher than you are. your best bet would be to find out what your body fat is.
  • uberrider
    uberrider Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weight does not mean anything, you need to know how much body fat you have. so get a fat calipers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G7YW74/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002CQPD2U&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NGYA3BVYSAX13RP93TZ
    Accu-Measure Fitness 3000 Personal Body Fat Tester
    or some other one i like that one cause its only like 10$ and its accurate as long as you follow the directions.
    anyways find your percentage of fat and use this formula.
    BF% divided by total body weight.
    will give you how much fat you have on your body since you said you are very muscular it should be a low number but just use the bf% as a way to watch how much you lose. no one cares how much you weight its the way you look and lower bf and higher weight always looks good.
  • kreative1
    kreative1 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you all! My height is 5'6.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My friends daughter is very active with lacrosse, ringette, wrestling, etc. I don't think she has much fat on her body, however, her body mass index (weight, height) puts her as overweight. I think our body knows when we are at a right weight. If you are really concerned about certain parts of your body you can try to target those parts at the gym. I also use a body fat analyzer. I am sure you can use one at the gym or I purchased mine on ebay
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! My height is 5'6.

At 5'6" I suspect you are really quite healthy. Good on you for being proactive about your health!