Breakfast is the most important meal??

Options

Replies

• OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I never miss breakfast. Or any other meal :)

My usual breakfast is scrambled egg whites, almonds and steel cut oats that I cook in the crock pot (it makes enough for the week that I can re-heat) I get a more creative on the weekends, when time allows. I don't mind eating the same thing during the week, I have become comfortable with eating to live, not living to eat.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is no more important than any other meal of the day, except in the context of peri-workout nutrition. If you work out right before breakfast time, then sure, eating breakfast is a good idea. But you don't get any more of a metabolic boost from eating 500 calories at breakfast than you would from skipping breakfast and eating 500 extra calories at lunch.

This madness over mandatory breakfasts and forbidden consumption after 7 PM has got to stop. I promise it is not about doing "what works for you." You are attributing your results to eating breakfast (or not eating late at night or eating every 2 hours or whatever) because at some point, the whole of society seemed convinced that that was the best way to lose weight, and you tried it, and you lost weight, so you think that's the magic bullet. The reality is that the only way to lose weight is consistent caloric deficit. It doesn't matter if you eat all your calories in one meal or eat them spread out over several meals, as long as you are eating fewer calories than you burn.

Now, it gets more nuanced than "calories in, calories out" when we're talking about specific body composition goals or general nutrition, but in strict weight-loss terms, there is no secret. Unless you have a certain medical condition or are on some kind of medication that supresses or increases appetite, fat oxidation, etc., then your body does not function differently than anyone else's by any notable measure.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    And I guess I meant to direct this post towards those trying to lose weight. If you're not concerned where your metabolism is at then I suppose this doesn't apply.

Even for those of us trying to lose weight, some see better compliance with bigger breakfasts, some with smaller, some with none, some varying it day-to-day depending on how they feel. If anything you would think people on this site would understand there is no one-size-fits all approach to complying with your calorie goal, but some of you still don't get it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    And I guess I meant to direct this post towards those trying to lose weight. If you're not concerned where your metabolism is at then I suppose this doesn't apply.

still no
  • deadliftking__
    Options
    I always eat beaver for breakfast
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I think "breakfast is the most important meal" is nonsense! What are the other meals - filler?
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I boost my metabolism with jumper cables!!!

Just kidding, that's just the image I get when someone says "jump start your metabolism."

Really, your metabolism is always working, and you should or shouldn't eat breakfast as it agrees with your lifestyle and dietary choices. Weight loss is as simple as calories in versus calories out.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    what about folks who work nights??

what about folks who sleep in til noon?

What about those SAHM/D's who get the kids out by 7 and are back to bed by 7:15am?

the sweeping generalizations around this place slay me.....
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    . Weight loss is as simple as calories in versus calories out.

where have YOU been for the past few days...

not it is NOT that simple

wait, yes it IS that simple....

no, it isnt, you must utulize BMR & TDEE

yes it is, logging MFP is taking TDEE and BMR into consideration...

Listen to me, I know everything.... it worked for me so it must work for you...

Listen to me, that didnt work for anyone, it will never work for you...

drink more water, it will fix all of your problems...

didnt you know an apple is 80% water...drink your apples...

ignore your macros when it comes to apples...

SHall I go on?
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I think breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I always notice that when I don't have breakfast I don't perform as well during my workouts in the evening, even if I have lunch and snack accordingly. My breakfast is the usual. Cereals and then a yogurt afterwards. Sometimes I eat a breakfast energy bar just to kick my energy levels up.
  • abbyface
    Options
    I eat a small Greek yogurt/granola mix on workout mornings, otherwise I feel really faint and lightheaded any time my heart rate shoots up. Rest days, I just skip breakfast and get right to lunch. Don't feel any hungrier for it.

For about half a year, I totally subscribed to the "BREAKFAST IS KINGGG" idea-- then I realized that my stomach starts gurgling at 11AM regardless of whether I skipped breakfast, or pigged out on a bangers and mash in the morning.

Metabolically speaking, if meal timing matters at all, it certainly doesn't matter much.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I get hungrier at night than I do in the morning, so if I eat a lot of my calories for breakfast then I have a hard time not going over for the day.

I don't really think it matters when you eat your meals, except on a personal preference level.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I think breakfast is the most important meal of the day for me. I always notice that when I don't have breakfast I don't perform as well during my workouts in the evening, even if I have lunch and snack accordingly. My breakfast is the usual. Cereals and then a yogurt afterwards. Sometimes I eat a breakfast energy bar just to kick my energy levels up.

Fixed it for you.
  • Lunaur
    Lunaur Posts: 3
    Options
    well for breakfast I usually have cereal with fruit in it then about an hour after I do my main exercise for the day. I just cant exercise on an empty stomach but for me lunch tends to be the biggest meal. I just have about 300-400 calorie breakfast (depending on the cereal) just to be ready to exercise.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I think breakfast is the most important meal of the day for me. I always notice that when I don't have breakfast I don't perform as well during my workouts in the evening, even if I have lunch and snack accordingly. My breakfast is the usual. Cereals and then a yogurt afterwards. Sometimes I eat a breakfast energy bar just to kick my energy levels up.

Fixed it for you.
    You are the best and most helpful supportive member on MFP!! :drinker:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    . Weight loss is as simple as calories in versus calories out.

where have YOU been for the past few days...

not it is NOT that simple

wait, yes it IS that simple....

no, it isnt, you must utulize BMR & TDEE

yes it is, logging MFP is taking TDEE and BMR into consideration...

Listen to me, I know everything.... it worked for me so it must work for you...

Listen to me, that didnt work for anyone, it will never work for you...

drink more water, it will fix all of your problems...

didnt you know an apple is 80% water...drink your apples...

ignore your macros when it comes to apples...

SHall I go on?

This sums up the difficulty a new person to MFP will have trying to figure out truth from fiction, and science fiction. Lol.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    BMR is affected by the morning meal. Nothing vs protein/fiber rich vs sugar have different impacts. However, if I spent time worrying about anything, I would make srue that i had:
    * a good workout program (weights and cardio) and
    * was feeding my body a balanced flow of fuel.

Personally, I LOVE breakfast... big omlette, avocados, spinach, toast, almond butter, fresh strawberries and blueberries, V8, milk, etc... My typical breakfast is about 800 calories. Net, after exercise deductions, I eat about 1900 per day. I eat/burn another 600. on average, about 2500 gross calories per day. Losing about 1.5 lbs/week. 10 lbs left to go...

Good luck finding what works for you!
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Nope! lol
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    I love breakfast! But I've found if I have cereal or white bread then I get energy slumps all day. Greek yoghurt rules but I try to have something different most days. My breakfast is usually around 350 cals then I split my lunch into 3 snacks during the day so I still have about 700 cals left for the evening. My hubby works nights so he has his first meal if the day at 1pm and only eats twice a day. Whatever works for you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Nope! lol

Agree. Breakfast has absolutely no effect on BMR at all. Total nonsense.