Am I pretty?

Options
I have struggled with weight issues and depression my whole life. I didn't have many friends growing up, and the ones I did have, usually stabbed me in the back. I'm really outgoing but at the same time I worry a lot about what others think of me, and sometimes I lack self confidence. I was just wondering if I was pretty? I don't honestly think I am, but people tell me differently all the time. I would like honest opinions please! You can look at my pictures on my profile if you would like. Thanks.

Replies

• KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    You just asked if you are overweight, now you are asking if you are pretty. Yes you are pretty, no you are not overweight. Just sounds like you are starved for attention. Don't worry so much. Many people would love to be as skinny and pretty as you.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    You just asked if you are overweight, now you are asking if you are pretty. Yes you are pretty, no you are not overweight. Just sounds like you are starved for attention. Don't worry so much. Many people would love to be as skinny and pretty as you.

This.

Maybe you should look into seeing a therapist so you can work on your self-esteem issues, rather than seeking affirmation from strangers on the internet.
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options

This.

Maybe you should look into seeing a therapist so you can work on your self-esteem issues, rather than seeking affirmation from strangers on the internet.

I agree with red01angel
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    You have an assoc. degree in psychology?
    HONESTLY, not to be cruel but maybe you should talk to someone about your feelings
    what do u expect strangers on the internet to tell you...and does it make u feel any better...really?
    I think u need to dig a little deeper

Kim
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything everyone else said!
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I agree with red.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    LOL...wow.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I also am a woman who has dealt with body image issues her whole life.

It doesn't matter how many people tell you you are pretty and it means even less from random people on a message board. The only one that will matter is what you are telling yourself in your head.

Seriously, see someone who can help you figure out where your self-hatred is coming from. I finally did, and it's very liberating. It hurts to face, but the best way is through the pain. And it's helped me a ton in respect to my weight issues. :)
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    And a follow up, I just read your profile. I'd suggest seeing someone who specializes in dealing with people who are in sports/dancers. One of my best friends is a former ballerina, man did they screw her up in the head by constantly telling her she wasn't good enough. She developed an ED because of that and also has so called weight issues from her dancing. I remember her being called fat when you could see her ribs in the audience.

Dancing baby! It'll do it to ya!

I wish you luck. You're young and deserve to be happy.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Honestly...TropicalKitty has very good advice. Cut right down to the truth and deal with it. It will help a boat load.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but, "we are what we think we are...."
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I had this friend growing up who would always say "oh, I'm so fat" but really, she was not at all! It was as if she just wanted us to say how pretty and thin we thought she was. It was so annoying!! I mean, what can you say when a friend says that, 'oh yah, you ARE really fat?' Nope.

Well, this is what I am seeing here. I get the feeling that no matter what anyone posts here about your beauty, it won't change what you tell yourself in your head.

You don't need our positive opinions, you need one of your own. It is in there somewhere, now is your time to find it.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    i wish I was close enough to hug you. Honey, when you get down to reality of the world around you, this question doesnt mattter.

I just want you to know that your loved and excepted here, no matter what. That is the most important thing, However be very careful being on this site. Through this last year I have known people with eating disorders on here that had to not be on this site because it aided in thier disorder. This maybe you.

I wish you well, and good luck...Happiness is not found in looks or even being thin, I hope one day you understand this. Until then you are in my prayers. You where created in a wonderful unique way in the very image of God, who does not make mistakes.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    i wish I was close enough to hug you. Honey, when you get down to reality of the world around you, this question doesnt mattter.

I just want you to know that your loved and excepted here, no matter what. That is the most important thing, However be very careful being on this site. Through this last year I have known people with eating disorders on here that had to not be on this site because it aided in thier disorder. This maybe you.

I wish you well, and good luck...Happiness is not found in looks or even being thin, I hope one day you understand this. Until then you are in my prayers. You where created in a wonderful unique way in the very image of God, who does not make mistakes.
    I totally agree with tiffanyweber! Yes you are beautiful and thin but are those two worth anything when you do not feel it inside? PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE seek counselling and get to the bottom of your insecurities!!!!
  • maz81
    maz81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hun ur gorgeous n no u dont need to lose any weight watsoever!!!

ive had probs with my image all my life and now having lost over 4 stone i still dont think i look right but everyone keeps saying i look good now!!

The trouble is we dont really look at ourselves, we see everyone else.
    but in a mirror its just a glance and its over and forgotten.

I kept on saying to my hubby i still feel fat etc etc - so what i told him to do was to take some photos of me and when i sat down and looked at the photos he took of me i thought - wow that gals fit and skinny and pretty lol!!!

Trust me hun take a few pics and look at them as if ur looking at pics of someone else and trust me ul see urself in a different light - i know this worked for me.
    Now when i feel fat in something im wearing or i dont think something fits me right i get my hubby to take pics of me and then i can see and judge for myself and i look good 100% of the time just as hubby said i did.

Looking in the mirror is something u can change like make a stupid face or turn to an angle that makes u look weird - MIRRORS CAN BE DECEIVING - but pictures they are there forever [thats until u delete them lol!] and 9/10 they dont lie

i know many people wont really agree with my philosophy but its worked for me so no harm in trying i guess!!!
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna bang on about psychological stuff. YOU ARE GORGEOUS! You really arent fat, you have a nice body and you're really beautiful. We all are a little selfconscious, I know I am.
  • JustBreathe
    JustBreathe Posts: 25
    Options
    You are not only beautiful, but you have a very warm and loving appearance. I am middle-aged now, but I remember wondering if I was pretty when I was younger. You feel like you want to be able to see yourself as others see you, but you don't know if your friends and family will be honest with you. Well, trust me, dear, as an impartial stranger, I can easily see you in movies or magazines. One of the prettiest things about you is your smile... don't lose that... and don't let others take it from you. Remember to laugh and try not to take life too seriously!

Be careful, though, especially with the internet. My daughter is also a really pretty girl, and she gets a lot of attention from guys that she doesn't look for or want (she's happy with her boyfriend).
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Fact is no matter what people tell you, it won't matter unless you believe it yourself. You have to learn to love yourself no matter what your face or body look like. It's the only way to be happy. Not one of us is perfect. If you can't find reasons to love yourself, you may need to get some therapy and work on it.
  • lselfridge
    lselfridge Posts: 4
    Options
    i agree with the other posts that suggest you seek professional help. physical beauty is subjective and not terribly important. being a good person and being of service to others is where beauty comes from. be concerned for your health and the pretty factor will take care of itself. healthy people can't help but be attractive.