Moms with small child(ren)...help me out!

Options

Replies

• reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    A portable DVD player was a lifesaver when my son was younger. I would put him in front of the Little Einsteins or something I taped for him and then I would have a DVD player plugged in same room. That way he would watch his show and I could still do some time with Jillian Michaels or Leslie Sansone depending on energy level. Plus, I was right with him and could watch what he was doing.

As he got older, we would do various Just Dance videos on the WII. Now that he is five, he is more interested in working out with me for a time period...then goes to his room and entertains himself. I think if they grow up knowing it is a part of your life, it is not so traumatic when you take the time for yourself. But I totally relate. Chasing kids is exercise in itself. Good luck!
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think you've gotten some good advice so far. I'm not sure how old were talking about but I've been exercising off and on in front of my youngest since she was an infant. I've even done "Walk a Way The Pounds" with a toddler strapped to my back. When she got old enough, I encouraged her to workout with me. Granted it wasn't as intense of a workout but it was fun for both of us. And even at age 6 she thinks it's a blast to sit on my lap while I do tummy crunches on my exercise ball. And she LOVES the gym. She's actually the reason I went to the gym on some days when I really just didn't want to. Our gym has a daycare so she loved playing with the other kids while I worked out. Another option is to give him something special to do that he is only allowed to do while you exercise. Give him some special activity to do at a table that's safely out of your way. If it's something he likes that you don't let him do often, it might encourage him to ignore what your doing.
  • skinnyiverson
    Options
    I can feel your pain. I have a 3 and 1 year old. I also work full time and do the majority of the cleaning and cooking. I have started working out during my lunch break. I work across the street from a gym. I will admit i do not have time to shower after and i look a little flushed when i get back to work, but it is sooooo worth it to me to get the exercise out of the way before i get home to my family. It also helps me stay on track with eating at dinner since i feel accomplished from the lunchtime workout. Good Luck!!
  • olenka_levina
    olenka_levina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5 am and get the first part of my workout in before everybody in the family wakes up. I have a very active 3 year old boy. I also used to put him in the jogging stroller and we would go running together when he was a little younger. Now he is "working out" with me at home (2nd part of the workout, in the evening). He truly enjoys doing the workout DVDs together. I treat daily exercise as a 2nd job meaning that it can't be missed no matter how I might feel about it.
  • JenS2586
    Options
    I have two 1yr olds and a 6yr old. I'm a stay at home mom so I do my workout when the boys nap [they nap for 3-3.5hrs] whether have the energy or not I try to make myself knowing its my only timeframe unless I'm up late. If my daughter is home she joins in if I'm doing yoga, otherwise she amuses herself in her room or watches a movie on my bed while I'm on my treadmill. I do all my cleaning and cooking while the boys are awake, they love watching, and they've already learned to put their toys away from watching me do it soo much haha. In the evenings kids are in bed by 6-630 [my daughter watches a movie or plays quietly for a bit in her room until 8ish] so sometimes ill throw in a yoga dvd then or do another run. My bf has no problem watching kids if I wanna workout at a dif time but I can't get into it knowing I'm missing out on 'family time'. I'm due with another baby in a few months so I'm hoping ill find a new schedule that works or adapt all 3 kids to same nap routine.

I don't recall if you mentioned if you worked or stay at home mom and what age your child is, but there's always ways to work around a schedule you just have to force yourself to take advantage of that window.
    Or like someone else mentioned get a gym membership that offers childcare, good socialization for your child and yourself also.
  • aclar44
    aclar44 Posts: 30
    Options
    The gym I belong to includes up to 2 hours of childcare per day. And while the gym itself is open 24/7, the child care has limited hours. So when I can't get to the gym during childcare hours, I have to work out at home. I have a membership to abcmouse.com, it's like $7/month or something and has tons of games, lessons, and activities from toddlers up to grade school. So I worked with my son so he could figure out how to get to the games and such himself (he's 3) and let him play abcmouse while I'm doing my workout. I let him play it on my laptop in the living room while I do a workout video so that way I'm right there to make sure he doesn't need any help. While I'm working out is usually the only time I allow him to use my computer so it feels like a special thing for him. It works for us because since he doesn't get to use my computer often, he looks forward to getting to use it and doesn't bother me while I'm working out.
  • Kurrupt1922
    Kurrupt1922 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 3:45 in the morning to workout while my 2.5-year-old is still asleep. It sucks, but it's the only time I've got.

Same here but not THAT early...LOL When I first started working out I would do just that, workout while my 2 year old and husband was sleeping. I'm so not a morning person, but that was the ONLY time I could find in my day to workout. My husband has to be at work at 7am now, so I had to regroup, because I was not going to stop working out. I get my butt up at 5:00am, get my little one ready and take her to daycare at 6:00am, go to the gym (which also has a childcare center), come home and get ready for work.
  • abazooday727
    Options
    I have a game where the kids can join in. It is dancing. Lots of movement and they feel like we are playing. Just Dance 4 is a good one. Other than that...I have no idea other than taking them walking with you?
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Try to find a gym with a childcare area. Or just suck it up and kick him. I've done it a few times. They are all three still alive and well :laugh: If those two options don't appeal, get up early. It's hard to make time with kids. If I didn't have my gym with their child watch, I would never workout. I am NOT a morning person! I dump them off and head to the gym or the class I'm taking. Love spinning!
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I have no advice, just keep on trying!

I try to take my dog for a walk about twice a week (my husband puts the LO to bed Mon and Thu) around 8PM, just in the neighborhood.

Other than that, if the weather is nice on the weekends we try to stay active as a family now, going in the yard and playing. You can burn plenty cals playing soccer with a 3YO.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I mostly workout in the morning. I put on my music or listen to my silence and do my thing during my time while I think through my thoughts. 4:30 - 5 AM is my favorite time to start a run, not because it's fun to wake up that early, but because it's as quiet or as loud as I want it to be. Then I go lift some heavy stuff and BS with the guys in the weight room about what we're training for, what plan we're currently doing, what results we're hoping to get . . . there's none of that catching up on the kids stuff, it's all about sweating and lifting heavy ****. It's nice to have "me" time and I'd rather it look like this. If I want it to look like a bubble bath and a glass of wine I can do that right before bed.
  • ewennmacher
    Options
    I go to the gym when my hubby comes home or do 30 day shred in the play room and lock the kids out!! The 30 day shred is only 20 minutes, so it's ideal for busy moms. before i got pregnant with my son, i would jog with my 1 1/2 year old in the stroller. That was my favorite!! I can't wait until it's nice again so I can go back to that!
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Have a 9 and 6 year old. Come home do dinner, homework, bath, clean up, yada, yada,yada. I work full time as well. Needless to say I really don't have time but I get up the morning at 5:30 to work out. If I don't it's almost impossible. I am not a morning person and am so tired that I rather slept a little more but when the alarm goes off I just think to myself "I am not being fat anymore, I am getting up to look good". I talk myself into getting up. When I do try to work out in the afternoon it's impossible cause my kids sit there and make fun of me, or try to find a thousand questions to ask me when I can't answer them or try to work out with me but kind of get in the way so I gave up the working out in the afternoon. What does work when the weather is nice is that I take them on bike rides and I jog along, if your kids are old enough to ride a bike.
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old, he usually grabs my resistance bands and works out right along side me. Or I park him in front of me where he can see me and I can see him with some of his favorite toys and he'll sit there for a bit.
    But he's usually all over the place.

Once I stepped on his toe and he told me "Ouch momma you mean business" so now he knows and makes sure he's not RIGHT next to me!
  • redskinfan9
    Options
    I have a 4 year old, and I have a full time job, cook meals, walk the dog, and workout at home. /WHEW!!!! Yes I know how you feel. What I have done, is I bought her some kids workout age apporiate DVD, and when I work out she puts in her DVE in her room and we have a challenge and who ever finishes first ( she always wins), can have a treat. Or, twice a week she gets to pick out a movie on Netflix to watch while I work out. Currently I can recite the My Littel Pony song. LOL. Just make it fun for them and they weill leave you alone. But don't give up, keep it going, and you will find a way to enjoy it.
    Hope this helps you a little. :-))
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have a 20 month old. And work outs usually means me on the treadmill (while Lilo and Stitch is on), running (with her in the jogging stroller), Zumba videos (she tries to do it too) or the gym (where she goes in the play room). My kid has the same bedtime as us so we usually have to involve her in our activities.
  • ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am a working mom with a 3 yo son. I set my alarm so I can wake before him. I get right on my spinning cycle after rolling out of bed. I then shower, get ready for work and then wake him to get him ready to take him to pre-school for the day. It wasn't easy originally, but it is getting much better. Today was a bit of a kicker as he climbed into bed with me at 5:00 and kept me awake until he fell asleep at 5:55. Alarm at 6:00 wasn't so nice then.
  • HeatherOberholtzer
    Options
    I get up and exercise before the kids, when they were smaller and I went on a "health spree" before I got serious I put gates across the doors so they couldn't get in the way. Now that they are older they have learned if the they get behind me and I don't see them, it will only happen once. Never happened with the kids, but my hubby got beside me once and I didn't see him...that only happened once too :) I am mom to 4 kids...they leanted this around age 2 ish the hubby was 34 I don't understand his reasoning!!!
  • Indyimp
    Indyimp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem and then I realised that a big part of my inspiration to exercise and get fit is to set an example for my children. So at first I used a baby gate until my son was big enough to climb it. After that I just did it anyway and kept a peripheral eye out and figured he'd learn to get out of my way. Now, at 3 and a 1/2, he Zumba's with me, tabata's with my husband and can lead you through a sun or moon salutation. Hang in there! You'll find a solution :flowerforyou:
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old and a 6 month. For us, mornings around 9 work good. my 3 year old plays or watches me while my daughter plays in her swing. They are both happiest in the morning so it makes for not much fussing. I just have my 3 yr old sit on the couch and watch so he doesn't get in the way.