Starting point for morbidly obese

Options
I have a question for the people who weighed 300+ pounds, and have lost at least 25-50. Where did you start with exercise? Did you just diet at first, or were there some exercises that you could do?
My knees and ankles are killing me!

Background: For the last 6 months or so, I have had a burning sensation in my legs. It started in my thighs, but it has gotten to the point where my whole legs feel like they are on fire. It is the worst at night, but is a problem any time I sit, stand or lay down for more than an hour. My body just can't handle all this extra weight.
I have been watching what I eat since November, with a few (VERY BAD) side steps along the way. (One week, I ate an entire cake by myself, and last night, I had an entire pizza. Ugh! >.<)
Breakfast: 2 pieces of toast, glass of milk, banana.
Lunch: glass of milk, apple, 2 cups lettuce, a 100 calorie pack of nuts, 1/2 roma tomato, honey mustard thinned with water (the low fat dressings are all disgusting, but watering down regular means it spreads through the salad better and I can use only 1/2 serving)
Dinner: varies, but I try to eat 1 serving of protein, 2 servings of carbs, and 2 servings of vegetables. I also allow myself 1 serving of soda, because I can't stick to any diet without at least that.

For exercise, I have been marching to cadences around my neighborhood for 30 minutes, 3 days per week. I do the warm up and cooldown of Biggest Loser Yoga and Biggest Loser Boot Camp, and that is it. I can't handle level 1 of either program yet.

How do you get started without hurting yourself? I know some pain is to be expected, but I am limping around the house the rest of the day. I really want to be doing more.

Also, my husband is even larger than me. He is not interested in exercising, because he has weak ankles and enjoys eating hot fries and jerky too much. I know I could change his mind if I could find something easy for him to start with for a month or so.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Focusing on diet, and doing whatever you can manage is fine to start.

If you're truly clinically obese, you might want to consider seeing a doctor.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Focusing on diet, and doing whatever you can manage is fine to start.

If you're truly clinically obese, you might want to consider seeing a doctor.

This ^^
  • appelsiinipuu
    appelsiinipuu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have only been counting calories for under 3 weeks now. I decided to just start by logging all that I eat and trying to make sure that I don't go over my calorie limit. I let myself eat whatever I want, as long as I don't go over. Makes it a LOT easier to deal with cravings.
    I am slowly going to start getting into exercising (when I feel ready). I do have a can of beans next to me on the desk and sometimes I use that for some arm workouts while sitting at the computer. I know that there was a thread here a little while ago about doing workouts sitting down! There are even dvds that you can buy for that. Maybe that could be something you could try?
  • ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I started off walking and now I'm doing the C25K.
    Only in week2 but I am doing it.
    If you can go to a swimming pool that would take the strain off your legs and feet.
  • Leola2011
    Leola2011 Posts: 192
    Options
    My heaviest was 260 and one of the first things I did was invest in a quality sneaker. I only wore those sneakers for exercising, not running errands, not going to work, nothing....only working out. Leslie Sansome has walking DVDs that you can do in your home, that way you're not dealing with uneven pavement, hills, etc. at the park or in your neighborhood.

You might also consider adjusting some of your expectations. It's wonderful if you're able to get in 30 mins of exercise 3-4 times a week. But if you're so sore and depleted afterward that you won't be able to stick to it for long, it hardly seems worth it to me...at least in the beginning. Perhaps you'd feel better if you did 15-20 minutes starting out.

Oh, and a few minutes of pilates is good for strength and flexibility without the pounding on your joints. Hope this is helpful.
  • dwnrss
    dwnrss Posts: 5
    Options
    I started over 300# and I just did what I could. Walk on the treadmill for start 15 mins then built my way up. First time I step foot on a elliptical I could only do 5 mins. Now I do 60 mins at least 3-4 days a week. I am just under 300#.

As for your husband, I believe when he see you getting thinner and healthier it will make him want to also.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I didn't weigh-in at quite that but I was very overweight. Start by walking a short distance and back. After a week or more add distance. I started at 10 minutes at a time. ( It took me 8 months to walk 2miles). Do this every other day at first. Give your body a time to rest. Another way was to put my favorite tunes on and dance a bit, do exercises while sitting down, park a little further away from the entrance of the store to make you walk more. I have bad knees so I swim for my big calorie burn. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks including your husband. Keep it short and sweet until your body gets used to the idea and builds muscle and stamina to do more. You can do this if you really want to. I wish you well.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I started at 300 pound. I've dropped 60 and today I ran 2 straight miles for the first time ever. It's taken me a year because I still love pizza and beer on the weekends, but it's possible.

My very first piece of advice: DO SOMETHING YOU CAN STICK TO

This is the most important part. If you don't stick with it, it won't work. The thing that happens to a lot of people is the go from eating 3500 calories a day to 1200 and they end up starving and feeling like crap.

With MFP's default settings, you don't need to exercise to lose weight. That said, a small amount of exercise is great for getting the body in better over all health. You don't have to start out running miles. Just walk 1 block and back. When that seems easy enough, walk 2 blocks and so on.

I've had the mindset that just doing a little bit of something is better then doing what I've always done. My biggest changes in the beginning were ordering a regular hamburger and medium fries then a big mac meal at mcdonalds. Now, I get a lot more out of my calories buy cooking at home.

Eventually, the little things will add up to one big thing, like 10 pounds down, then 20. You can do this!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 100 (started at 330). I started with walking on a treadmill, upping the speed as I could, and light weights.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I used to have that burning pain along my left leg. It was a pinched nerve and didn't feel better until I lost weight.

I would recommend seeing your doctor first. They can do some basic checkup and bloodwork just to make sure everything is okay while you're losing weight. This will also show you how much your weight loss affects your health (for the better!) when you go back. :)

I weighed 357 when I started. Walking was very hard on my feet and knees, so I went to the swimming pool at the Y and did laps. Not fast, just laps. I'd swim for about an hour.

I also did workout DVDs, and I modified the moves so they wouldn't hurt my feet or knees. No jumping. No squats. No lunges. If my feet got tired, I'd sit in a chair and do all of the arm work and just move my body as much as possible. Then I'd stand up again.

Pretty soon, I could handle a half-hour of walking, so I started doing that. I still have some issues with my left foot (I'm going to see a podiatrist in two weeks), so I've stopped walking in the meantime.

Once all of that got easier, I did more and more of my workout DVDs. I can do all of Turbo Jam now, whereas before, I had to stop halfway through.

Now that I'm 309, I can do the elliptical for 10 minutes instead of 30 seconds, I can walk for an hour or more, I can do all of my workout tapes (but I still modify the moves so they don't hurt my knees), and my resting heart rate has come down from 110 to 72. That's in about six months' time. I can't believe how quickly it flew by, and you'll feel the same way. I promise it flies. :)

Just take it slow and do what you can. Eventually, as you lose weight, it will get easier. I promise. Don't rush anything. Don't hurt yourself. Any movement is good and will help strengthen your muscles and condition your heart and lungs.

Good luck. :)
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Background: For the last 6 months or so, I have had a burning sensation in my legs. It started in my thighs, but it has gotten to the point where my whole legs feel like they are on fire. It is the worst at night, but is a problem any time I sit, stand or lay down for more than an hour. My body just can't handle all this extra weight.
    Any suggestions?

Please go see a doctor about this.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Please take the fantastic inspiration from the people on this thread who are winning. Work as hard as YOU can is the starting point, set goals, set rewards.

And the proof is on television (Biggest Loser) all the time that weight loss and a journey to fitness is possible for all.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I just joined yesterday, and this is my first thread on here. I am amazed at the responses! Thank you so much, everyone!

I'm going to stick with it- and no more pizza. I didn't do any exercise today, so I hope that will make me a little stronger when I get back in the saddle tomorrow.

Good luck to all of you with your goals, and feel free to 'friend' me or whatever. I hope I can be as helpful to some of you. :-)
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You can still eat pizza! Just make sure it fits into your calories. I still eat a piece or two now and then, just not an entire large pizza. :)

I also try to make it healthier. I like getting thin crust with very light white sauce, chicken, spinach, and light cheese. It's yummy.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I just joined yesterday, and this is my first thread on here. I am amazed at the responses! Thank you so much, everyone!

I'm going to stick with it- and no more pizza. I didn't do any exercise today, so I hope that will make me a little stronger when I get back in the saddle tomorrow.

Good luck to all of you with your goals, and feel free to 'friend' me or whatever. I hope I can be as helpful to some of you. :-)

I see a lot of the helpless darkness I felt when I started here. Feel free to add me as a freind.

I echo what everyone else has said. 1. Go see a Doctor, 2. Follow the MFP program as it is. Eat WHATEVER (unless doc says different) you want, just stay within your goals. It works. I ate pizza last night too. 3. Start slow, you're walking now. That's good. I couldn't walk to the mailbox w/o huffing and puffing when I started. As you feel like you can do more activity, do more activity. Just keep it slow and steady so you don't injure yourself. 4. If you can. Go get good shoes. You will be financally invested in this process and your feet/ankles will be better off.

I'm not sure what to tell you about your husband. He has to want to change himself. You can't make him, and we can't make him. However, just tell him there are guys on here who have/had the same problem and have used this community to get more healthy.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics, swimming.