Cardio, before or after weights?

Options
Hey everyone, forgive me if this has been talked about before... there are so many topics it is impossible to go through them all. My big question is... Should I be doing cardio before weights or after? I have heard some say before and others say after. Is there a difference, really? What would be the benefits each?? I feel like when I do cardio before that my heart rate stays higher through my entire workout and sweat constantly, if I do it after I tend to be able to lift heavier. Any opinions? Thanks!!

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I do mine after, as you have already suggested if affects my lifting if doing it before.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    After...I always like to be completely fresh when I lift in order to give max effort and get the most benefit from my lifting session. I usually do cardio on my non lift days, but if I happen to do it on lift days, it's usually after...and usually a pretty unimpressive session because I'm already pretty much hammered ****.
  • GinaBeana1121
    GinaBeana1121 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It depends on which is easier for you, I've heard arguments from both sides. Personally I like to use my weights before cardio because I am usually too tired to do anything but shower after the treadmill!

I also like to do circuit training to incorporate both and then get on the treadmill after that.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I feel like when I do cardio before that my heart rate stays higher through my entire workout and sweat constantly, if I do it after I tend to be able to lift heavier.

It depends. What are your goals?

If you want to run a marathon, then do the cardio first, as the weight training is then simply an assistance exercise.

If you're looking to get stronger, then do the weights first.

If you want to lose fat while maintaining LBM, do the weights first.
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, forgive me if this has been talked about before... there are so many topics it is impossible to go through them all. My big question is... Should I be doing cardio before weights or after? I have heard some say before and others say after. Is there a difference, really? What would be the benefits each?? I feel like when I do cardio before that my heart rate stays higher through my entire workout and sweat constantly, if I do it after I tend to be able to lift heavier. Any opinions? Thanks!!

I actually do both. I do 15 minutes on the treadmille before strength training and 15 minutes on the treadmill after strength training.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If I don't do my cardio before my weights then I won't do cardio at all because I am simply too exhausted and I just want to leave.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio first this makes me fight all the harder and really endure on my lifting. Let's me take it to a different level. But I lift for endurance more then anything.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    what's cardio?

JK, when I do both, I ALWAYS do weights first. I'm just wasting energy lifting if I lift after cardio.
  • BootyShakingBadAss
    BootyShakingBadAss Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I do weights first because I feel like I need to be more alert of my form when lifting.
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, I have been doing cardio first but maybe I should start lifting first. Maybe I will be able to lift more instead of feeling like a wimp!
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. If you're looking to increase your strength/build lean muscle mass, do weights first. If your goal is to increase your cardio endurance, start with that. I don't usually do both at the same time (I usually alternate days) but when I do, I always do weights first.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    After, because lifting is more important.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I used to always do it before because I liked to get my cardio out of the way. Then I would lift. I never noticed much of a difference in terms of how much or how long I would lift.

I worked with a personal trainer last year, who swore by cardio warm-up, then lift hard and heavy, and then cardio at a 6/7 effort out of 10. And of course, cool down. When I lift now, I work into it some cardio, such as burpies and bicep curls, so my heart rate is exploding and I'm sweating like crazy. Then, when I move to cardio, I don't even have to work as hard to still get in a great sweat.

Really, truly, it's up to your personal preference. Whatever is going to make you do both, do it that way. You can't get caught up in 'what the research says' or other people, because you won't stick to it unless you enjoy it.
  • courtneydeewalk
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I really appreciate this input!! Please keep it coming!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    If you're focusing on strength gains: lifting first.

If you're focusing on running endurance and speed: cardio first

Depends on your goal really.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would go with after simply because I can do cardio after strength easier than I can do strength after cardio.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    After

Gawd I ran 1/4 mile the other day and tried to do 5 min rest then did powercleans - I couldnt catch my breath at all through the whole workout even with 2-3 min breaks.

Funny I ran 2 miles the other day and went inside and drank chocolate milk through a straw. NOT A DROP WAS SPILLED whaaa?!
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Altrernate days for me. Weights on Mon Wed Fri, Cardio - Tues Thurs Sat with Sunday rest. Seems alright and energy to go around althoughs eomtimes the legs take a beating. Just adjust intestity on them as needed for good recovery. Also 5-10 min light cardio before weights regardless for warmup.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Just do it.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I do it before. My heart rate is about 20 % higher during the weight lifting if I do a 20 minute warm up on the treadmill or elliptical. If I were in a bulk phase, I would do it after or not at all on lifting days.