Cardio, before or after weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    How about weights instead of cardio?

More seriously, I do cardio afterwards. If I slip and fall running because I'm tired, I get a scrape. If I screw up doing weights, I could end up under a 300 lb barbell.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    At this stage for me and my current goals, I do cardio first and really give it my all and then I'll go lift for while. I'm not trying to make any major gains at this point. When i read my current goal, I will switch it around and do weight lifting first and some light cardio if any at all last.

However, let it never be said that if you're lifting heavy, you're not doing cardio, because there are times I'm just as winded after doing a squat set or a deadlift as if I worked on the elliptical hard for 15 minutes.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I do 10-15 minutes of elliptical or rowing machine as a warm up before lifting.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I do mine at separate times, resistance training at the gym, cardio at home on my treadmill
  • wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, forgive me if this has been talked about before... there are so many topics it is impossible to go through them all. My big question is... Should I be doing cardio before weights or after? I have heard some say before and others say after. Is there a difference, really? What would be the benefits each?? I feel like when I do cardio before that my heart rate stays higher through my entire workout and sweat constantly, if I do it after I tend to be able to lift heavier. Any opinions? Thanks!!
    Just wanted to say great post!
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My treadmill is right next to my home gym. I like to walk during my rest between sets. Lets my muscles rest but keeps my heart rate up then I walk more after my strength training.
  • kaitlynelkins9
    kaitlynelkins9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think it's optimal not to do both lifting and cardio in the same session. By doing so, you invariably will perform worse on the activity you do last. But if you must do both at once, do the one which you consider to be the highest priority first.

There are usually two days a week in which I both lift and run, but on those days I always lift in the morning and run in the afternoon. This may not work with many people's schedules, but I find that I am able to maximize both workouts that way. Additionally, it is easier psychologically to do the workouts separately, as well as easier to give a maximal effort.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I do 10 minutes before, either elliptical or bike, warm-up at a light resistance, then lift, then 30-45 minutes intense cardio after. Everyone is different, but I don't get sore muscles doing it this way.

Edited for autocorrect mayhem.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    As many have stated, the most important method is the one you stick with.

That being said, an understanding of how your muscles get energy may help.

Weight lifting is an anaerobic exercise. That means it doesn't use oxygen to provide energy. All of the energy comes from the glycogen which is stored in your muscles.

Cardio is an aerobic exercise. It combines oxygen with fat to provide energy, but it also uses glycogen. The more intense your aerobic exercise, the more glycogen is used. This is because the fat/oxygen method is relatively slow to provide energy and just can't keep up.

If you lift first, you will have less glycogen in your muscles. Therefore your body will be more likely to pull energy from fat stores instead of stored glycogen when you do the cardio. If you do cardio first you will burn off some fat, but mostly glycogen. So you will have less energy to lift weights, meaning you will get a less effective workout. In addition, you will burn less fat.

http://www.shapeyou.com/old/weights_first.html
  • courtneydeewalk
    Options
    As many have stated, the most important method is the one you stick with.

That being said, an understanding of how your muscles get energy may help.

Weight lifting is an anaerobic exercise. That means it doesn't use oxygen to provide energy. All of the energy comes from the glycogen which is stored in your muscles.

Cardio is an aerobic exercise. It combines oxygen with fat to provide energy, but it also uses glycogen. The more intense your aerobic exercise, the more glycogen is used. This is because the fat/oxygen method is relatively slow to provide energy and just can't keep up.

If you lift first, you will have less glycogen in your muscles. Therefore your body will be more likely to pull energy from fat stores instead of stored glycogen when you do the cardio. If you do cardio first you will burn off some fat, but mostly glycogen. So you will have less energy to lift weights, meaning you will get a less effective workout. In addition, you will burn less fat.

http://www.shapeyou.com/old/weights_first.html

Very informative! Thank you :o) I appreciate it
  • horseyhudson
    Options
    I lift before cardio.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    After, because lifting is more important.

This...100x this.

And also this:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are training for. For instance, I am training for my first ever half marathon. One day a week I run and lift and running is first b/c that is my objective. Lifting is secondary. I also lift on a non-running day; that being said. Today is my run and lift day...I run at lunch and lift after work. I don't find my lifting is any less because I ran at lunch but I understand you are talking about immediately after....

again...what is your objective?
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am time poor and workout 6 days a week. It's summer here so it doesn't take much to warm up. I am lifting monday, wensday, friday, rest day is tuesday and the others I walk. I pretty much have 30 to 45 mins to myself to exercise. So I split it like this so I get something done. When I last was going to the gym I would walk or spend 15 mins on a bike or treadmill to get the blood flowing before doing weights. I have found I really don't want to lift after going on a big walk as well. I will see how I go once school goes back as my 6 yearold wants to walk and it's a 4 km round trip, though that will be half a gentle walk lol.
  • courtneydeewalk
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the input. Typically I would do cardio first and then weights. I think I will switch it up for a few weeks and see how I feel about it! Thanks yall! I appreciate it!