30 Day Shred - Replacing jumping jacks with butt-kicks?

Options
I've been working on the 30 Day shred, and I'm on day 5 (I ended up taking a couple days because of family things). However, I have a major problem with jumping jacks. They aren't terribly difficult, but they cause my upper torso a LOT of pain. I have to cross my arms over my chest to stop it, which I know is affecting my burn. The pain isn't terrible when I do the butt-kicks, and they're honestly more enjoyable because of it.

I've been told I won't get the same calorie burn if I replace them, but they can be so painful that I end up stopping and walking around a little until they're over.

I feel like I should replace them a bit, but I don't want to affect my burn too much. What shall I do, MFP?

Replies

• Jday71
    Jday71 Posts: 39
    Options
    I still raise my arms sometimes I just run in place.
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    Wear two sports bras or bra plus tank. Maybe first time doing circuit do jacks other circuit do butt kicks or jump rope or something.
  • tsmoore925
    tsmoore925 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am doing my 2nd round of 30DS, the first round I would alter some things, and I still had great results! I think as long as you are keeping your hear rate up and moving its okay, Just my thoughts though! :)
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    I am doing my 2nd round of 30DS, the first round I would alter some things, and I still had great results! I think as long as you are keeping your hear rate up and moving its okay, Just my thoughts though! :)

This is the same for me! As long as your heart rate is still up, I wouldn't worry too much about having to sub some of the exercises! For a while I never did any of the heavy plyo jump moves because I did it in the morning and didn't want to wake up my sleeping hubby. Instead I did the cardio moves from level 3 with the hand weights. I still saw great results!
  • mindysoo
    mindysoo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think keeping moving is the most important part - sometimes I've even seen modifications where you just step side to side...

Also - as someone else mentioned - I wear two sports bras - I really tie em' down or I'm in pain too!
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    would this theory work as far as using the weights also? I have bursitis in both of my shoulders and was recently in a car wreck, so the lateral raises in level 1 KILL me. It's not muscle burn, its joint pain. I still raise my arms and do the side lunges, I just don't use any weights. Will this seriously effect my results?
  • Poecile
    Poecile Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Whew, good thing I have 2 sports bras! I'l try that too. I decided to do jumpingjacks until just before they became too much, then buttkicked the rest of the way.

As for weights, jillybean, I would try using just 1lb weights, or maybe even two bottles of water halfway full (not through, like I said before XD). I think the effects won't be as good in the arms if you don't use weights, but it's best to do what you can handle, I think.
  • Mandybean88
    Options
    I'm also struggling with jumping jacks. I'm 16 days into 30DS and at the beginning it was fine, but now when I do the jumping jacks I get sharp pains in my ribs from the impact when I breathe, I find myself holding my breath as long as possible which is a stupid way to exercise. I'm not really sure what's happened, it was okay at first and I don't know if I have done something wrong which has ended up in the exercise hurting me (I always wear a sports bra)
    At the moment I'm still doing them anyway, but it's so difficult. I was thinking of replacing it with something else but didn't know what would be a good one to do instead.
  • Poecile
    Poecile Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of replacing it with something else but didn't know what would be a good one to do instead.

Try the punches! You stay fairly still, but you keep your heart rate up, AND if you keep your core tight, it really does work you out pretty well!
  • canuckcolleen
    canuckcolleen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm going onto Day 10 of the 30 Day Shred, so last day on Level 1 - woop woop! Anyway, I found jumping jacks hard in the beginning and now they're a breeze, maybe just give yourself a few more days. That being said, I think doing any type of cardio during that time is fine - I would switch it up if it causes you actual pain, but as Jillian says, there is no modification for jumping jacks, and she has 400lb people doing it! Good luck!!