Barefoot running

Options
Hello,
I have been running at least three times a week for a few months now and have been training for the 5K distance. I like my running shoes and all, but have been wondering about barefoot running (actually about barefoot running shoes, like the Vibram Fivefingers). Has anyone out there tried them? Any real-life experience?
I do have a couple of friends who swear by them, but I am interested in getting more feedback.
Thank you!
Luci

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Bump b/c I wanna know this too!
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Every time I try it I get really bad achilles tendonitis. It is definately not for everyone. It is also tough to run barefoot in New England in the winter so why even bother.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Check out this well-written and researched article.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/11/04/barefoot-running-the-great-debate/

I would like to try the Nike Free shoe myself.
  • pandollu
    pandollu Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you all for the insight, and for the wonderful article link!
    Now I know what to ask for my birthday gift!!! I'll let you know soon how my Vibram Fivefingers are treating me!
    Cheers - Luci
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered barefoot running & have been researching it for a little while now. I tried running barefoot for the first time last night and LOVED it.

I was expecting another long night of icing my poor knee (I recently developed a case of patellar tendinitis a few weeks ago & it's been killing me doing everything -- running, biking, walking up stairs, etc. Miserable.). So, I was pretty excited about the automatic drastic increase in speed but the very best part was that my patellar tendonitis hurt me less DURING my run and AFTER I ran than it did BEFORE I ran (which was after 6 days of rest from high-impact exercise)!! :noway: Running barefoot immediately forces you to correct your technique from knee-killing heel pounding to running more on the pads of your feet with constantly bent knees with short steps (= far less impact). Your pace immediately increases -- I was running about 180bpm, and yes, it was hard on my lungs but it's something I'm really excited about building further.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think (I reserve the right to change my mind in the future :wink:) barefoot running has completely changed my life. :laugh: I have limped through annoying little injury after little injury since I started running last November. I've spent nearly $200 on running shoes in just 6 months.
    Now I'm waiting for my Vibram Fivefingers to arrive in the mail. I know it's not *really* barefoot, but it's not safe to run barefoot where I live -- too much stuff on the ground that can slice & dice feet. I'm also concerned about potentially poisonous substances on the ground so this is why I decided to purchase the Vibrams.

I've done quite a bit of research in making my decision and I'm not sure it's something that should be taken on full-force without doing your own research. I started by reading Gordon Pirie's book "Running Fast and Injury Free" which can be found free online in many places, including here: http://www.williamsichel.co.uk/documents/Running_Fast_and_Injury_Free.pdf I'm in the process of reading through a couple of other books (which I wish not to recommend until after I've finished them just in case they aren't recommendable :smile:).

And be prepared for some ridicule. :ohwell: My mom, a registered nurse, thinks I'm 100% batsh** insane (though, I think she already thought that anyway). It's so funny she's so worried about the impact barefoot running will have on my health (all of her concerns are based in ignorance, mind you) yet she never expressed any concern for my health at all when I weighed OVER 270 POUNDS. :grumble:
    90066 Posts: 24
    Options
    It takes a significant amount of time for your feet and legs to adjust to the new alignment. I walked around in my VFF's for a few hours a day working my way up to whole days over a month, and so far I have been on a couple of intentionally short runs.

For a week I had an episode of Achilles pain on my left foot whenever I wore the VFF's, that worried me but now that doesn't happen at all. I think it was still adjusting.

It is good advice to run actually barefoot if you can, to learn the new form. Some run out barefoot, and when their feet hit the limit put on the VFF's for the run back.

I run at night so I wear them always. Still a challenge to maintain correct form. But worth it.

And people at work are slowly getting used to seeing these things on my feet. The reduced back pain and increased stamina is worth the strange looks.

http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/82/8336/828336.png
  • disneyfetishboy
    disneyfetishboy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to run back in my teen years (cross country and track), but had to pull away because of chronic foot problems. Since then, I have always gone to other athletics to stay fit.

I got a pair of VFFs a few months ago and for the last few months, have been running in them (or barefoot) both inside and out. I haven't had a foot problem since. Yesterday, I did a 3 mile off-road run in the hills, something I never would have thought doing even a year ago.

For me, the only downside is that I need another pair! I exercise 7 days a week and since I don't wear socks with them, they need to be washed frequently and need to dry outside in the sun.
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had been increasing my mileage too quickly and got significant knee swelling with some pain associated with running (and shifting, LOL!) I took off 2 weeks from running and it still did not feel right to run and mild pain started after only 1/2 mile. My husband suggested running barefoot and it instantly felt better and I could do @ 3 miles comfortably. I definitely feel it more in my calves and I am taking it easy until my feet get used to it. But it allows me to enjoy running while my knee heals.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    My VFFs arrived Thursday. I've done two 2 mile runs in them so far & did about an hour's worth of circuit training in them today. They're already more comfortable than the were at first and I'm completely sold on them. My patellar tendinitis was getting worse and worse with every run AND NOW IT'S COMPLETELY GONE! :noway: :bigsmile: I had been in chronic pain with it for 3 weeks.
    The only pain I've had is my foot pads getting warm during my runs but I know my feet will adjust to the new running form in time.

Edit: Oh, and I've gone from running 4.0-4.5mph to 6.5-7mph. I never could've run 7mph pounding my heels into the ground without a whole lot of pain (I have really short legs). Awesome.
  • docjoe
    docjoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm also transitioning to toe/mid foot striking but I'm using the Newton. VFFs don't fit my feet well nor do Nike Frees.

I echo the above that I think there is a good scientific rationale behind it (not to mention the recent article in Nature where the guys at Harvard were able to demonstrate that it is more efficient biomechanically).

The one word of caution is to not try to run too far too fast. I strapped my Newton's on and went 5 miles first time. My calves hurt so much afterwards I was practically crippled! I could barely walk for a week let alone run. I've found that my distance per run has decreased significantly and I think it will take a while to develop the calf strength to go on long runs. I've also heard of people having some Achille's issues as well. For me, I have struggled every year with IT band and other knee issues and I just pray this is the fix!
  • disneyfetishboy
    Options
    I also want to echo that it's important to transition slowly to barefoot/forefoot running. You need time for your calves and achilles to stretch and strengthen. I know it's frustrating for those that were previously running longer distances to cut way back.

There are a bunch of different minimalist shoes out there to try (even Brooks has one now), but I think the shoes you finally select are less important than changing your running form.
  • disneyfetishboy
    Options
    Just wanted to share a video a friend sent me on the subject of barefoot-style running and leg injuries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE

A bit easier to follow than to go through the Harvard studies I had linked before.
    90066 Posts: 24
    Options
    The best way for me to think about correct Barefoot form is to imagine log rolling, but the whole planet is the log. You grab it with your foot and roll it back underneath you as if it were floating on water and then grab with the next foot to spin it some more.
    If you heel-strike the log rolls the wrong way and you end up in the lake.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I was watching a little boy and his mom run to their car this weekend. WOW. The little kid was cruising along effortlessly running perfectly on the front/middle of his foot -- great barefoot form. The mom was really struggling and putting her feet, heels first, WAY out in front of her.

It really confirmed for me the way I'm running now (still injury and pain free) is the way I'm built to run. It's just insane to me how much running form has been overthought and commercialized.