Spinning Class Newbie

Options
Hi folks *waves*
So, I've been thinking for a while that I should try out a spinning class at my uni gym (one of the classes I've still not tried out).
I think my body's become conditioned to Zumba and I'm not burning as many calories as I did when I started so a change is what I'm looking for.

However, I'm a little bit intimidated because I've heard they're really intense. I love using the bike going at my own pace in the gym but not sure how I'd cope going at a fast paced routine for 45 minutes.
Does anyone have any tips on how to 'approach' my first spinning class?

Replies

• Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump - i'm interested in this too!
  • kalafowler
    Options
    Definitely try it!! I was intimidated at first also. Let the instructor know you're new, mine was really helpful. When they up the resistance, maybe only go up 2 levels instead of 3. The key is to keep you cadence/pace at the level necessary for that particular part of the class whether it's sprinting, climbing hills, or riding it out. It's an awesome way to shock your body and burn tons of calories! One of my favorites :)
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    I heart spinning.

So, get there early and take a towel and bottle of water. Introduce yourself to the instructor and say you are new. Get them to set the bike up correctly and explain how they will run the class. If you have a heart rate monitor, wear it, but don't panic if you don't have one. Ignore what the person next to you is doing. I am a strong cyclist so can spin harder than other people fitter than me, so I often have newbies try to copy me and it doesn't end well. Focus on you, the instructor and as miserable as it may sound, try to get a bike opposite a mirror so you can see if you are wasting effort on swinging or bouncing around!

Have fun!
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    P S at the end stretch your calves, hammies and quads. And drink more water. You will thank me the next day.
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was intimidated as well, however the instructor got me set up and away I went. I try to keep cadence as advised above and keep resistance where it's manageable. Go, you'll be happy you did.
  • lyndall5311
    lyndall5311 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love spin class, remember to take a towel and water. Tell the instructor that its your first class, they will help you to set up the bike and give you tips.

Just remember to pace yourself, your first 2-3 classes can be a little intense, but it does get easier once your used to it. Having a good instructor and music really helps.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Thx for the advice everyone :smile:

The instructors at the gym kinda know me already from other classes but will enquire more about the class when I book myself in tomorrow. There's on one Friday just before the ab blast class (which I'm already booked in for and love) so will probably go to that and then do ab blast straight after.
    I do have a HRM and use it every time I workout so that's no bother:smile:
    Also, the room where the class is held has a whole wall which is just a mirror and is the direction (I think) the class faces - from what I've seen before the ab blast classes.
    I also know they do stretching after the class so will make the most of that afterwards :smile:
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My Spin instructor will tell us to dial up to base, so my base may be 5 turns and other maybe 3or 7. That is what I like about Spin everyone gets a real workout but at their level.
    Bring a towel you will need it bring water and wear biking shorts the padding will feel good.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will love it. My first class, one of the regulars told me that it takes about 6 weeks to master spin. Keep that in mind--it will not be easy or pretty the first few times, but after a while, it's great! And definitely get the instructor to show you how to set up the bike.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I would forgo the butt pads for the seat if it's offered. I was scared of my big fanny perched upon a seat more likely intended for someone Thumbelina-sized. So when I mentioned that to the instructor she offered me a gel-like but pad that was slightly larger than the bike seat. I thanked my lucky stars to have procured this squishy padding. (Because my big bum is of the barn-butt variety. Meaning it is as wide as the broad side of a barn but sorely lacking in padding. It's flat like a pancake.)
    I was wrong, DEAD WRONG, about the padding. It wiggled and moved from the fierce pedaling so I wobbled around like I was riding a bucking bronco. I struggled through the entire class to stay atop this uncivilized contraption. Every time I felt like I was falling off I would fight for purchase by grabbing on for dear life using upper thigh muscles Suzanne Somers would be proud of. I left that class hobbling outta there like a saddle-sore cowboy. My groin and high inner thighs were bruised. It was a god-awful experience and I blame the butt pads. We'll never know for sure because that would require me to go back and try it without the cushion. And I have zero interest in conducting such an experiment. My lady parts recovered but I learned that day that my cycling efforts are best spent on a recumbent bike.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    I do wear padded shorts, but they fit very well. I can imagine badly fitting butt pads creating far more pain than spinning without. In fact my bottom is flinching at the thought! I do spin or cycle 3 to 4 times a week though, so it justifies padded shorts. You don't need to worry about them at the beginning.

A spin bike saddle is narrower and harder than a normal exercise bike or recumbent bike. However, if you get the set up right, which the instructor will do, you won't hurt. I forgot to move the seat back a couple of weeks ago, got handlebars and saddle height right. So my setup was an inch out and that hurt. Also every time you get a different instructor, say you are new. You can always learn different things from them and help with bike setup is always really good because it is easier to see if someone is set up wrongly from the side than when it is yourself!
  • SunKissed1989
    Options
    Booked myself in for the class tomorrow night - got a bit of advice from one of the instructors and he knows I'm coming so will give me a hand getting set up and such.

Still a bit intimidated but it must be good because they said it's one of the most (if not the most) popular classes they have at the gym so there definitely must be something to it:smile:
  • Lotus1026
    Options
    amazing class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bring a towel and a ton of water!! you will have a blast and go at your own pace until you get used to the class
  • SunKissed1989
    Options
    Phew, that was intense. Sore chest early on (and felt slightly 'woozy' at one point) but took it easy and carried on at my own pace. Luckily I wasn't the only newbie to the class (there were about 4 others) so had help setting the bike up and such. Unfortunately, was just my luck that I was on the bike that had a broken water bottle holder so kept having to come off the thing for a drink when I needed to hydrate - will keep an eye out for that one and avoid it next week.

Just went at my own pace and joined the rest of the group when I felt I was able to - increasing and decreasing resistance when I needed to - felt so fit afterwards though :smile:

Thanks for the advice - definitely going to keep going until I can keep up with the pace of the class :smile: