Moms with small child(ren)...help me out!

Options

Replies

• Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 and 4 year old. When I started working out, they were 4 and 2! It was tough, but you have to make time for YOU! I would workout when my youngest was taking a nap. My oldest knew that when I was exercising it was "mommy time" and they learned not to bug me. Now they just ignore me, and entertain themselves while Im doing my thing. Good luck to you! You can do it!
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have a 6yr old son and a 4yr old girl. Work full time, wake up at five, and get home almost at 6:00 p.m. I workout every other day, that way I cook on the days that I don’t exercise (we eat leftovers the next day). I have a gym membership with child care and try to go immediately after picking them up, that way I’m home by 7:15 or so. If I’m running late or the kids have too much homework I work out at 10:00 p.m. with one of my DVD’s.
    Another thing that we have incorporated is that when we have a “dine out” night with the kids we walk to the restaurant. It is like a 45min. walk, but it is a great time to spend with them talking about silly stuff, asking them about school, and establishing good habits as a family. We do the same Saturdays and Sundays. Get them ready, they get the bikes, and out we go for at least an hour.
    Is great to a have a schedule and a routine for the family, but when that routine get in the way of what will make you happy and healthy, is time to reassess it. I’m pretty sure that is you take a close look at your day modifications can be made and you will find the time and energy to be active. :smile:
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I usually either take my 2 year old with me to the daycare at the gym or have my dh or older kids watch her and I will workout in the other room. She has also done some videos with me...usually I don't get as good of a workout when that happens but it's still better than not at all. Can you do anything during your lunch? Even if it is just taking a walk. At my old job I used to walk on my 2 breaks and lunch so total I would get an hour of walking in a day.
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    do what you can when you can. my life is the same. i generally only work out during my breaks at work, which equates to 60min of cardio m-f. life is just too busy.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It depends...one kid I could do step aerobics and he was fine. Another kid was totally unpredictable and a ball of energy and adventurous beat common sense with him so in that case I worked out alone. I waited until he was old enough for school but if you need to get your workouts in now, I'd recommend 1) early morning floorwork before he wakes up. 2) a gym with a kiddie day care. 3) workout playdates with another mom, where you take turns watching the kids while the other gets a 30 minute cardio treadmill or laps around the park workout. Put him in a stroller and go around town, or the park, or the school track, or the mall. Get a pedometer to keep track. I used to do this and it would become his morning nap time and my "dont' get saggier in the butt than you already are" time.
  • micabrito2012
    micabrito2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is MIchelle mother of I work full time 35 minutes from home, 4 kids all different ages and all with different needs. Ok 14 year old always has a million papers to sign for school. (Notarized), 12 year old is always trying to make jokes and he is a practical joker so I run into a million jokes a day. 3 year old who minds but asks a million whys is always requesting chocolate milk and the Lorax and Tangled and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory(Old one) and has a trillion different toys doing something different around the living room(my work out space) and then there is my sweet 2 year old daughter that request that I hold her, hold her, hold her and oh yea hold her.

So this is my game plan (Oh yea I'm married and my husband is home when I get there).
    1. Make it home safe 2. Plan dinner at work and make it at soon as I get home 3. Play with my kids, sign papers, fall for some jokes and oh yea say hello to my husband. 4. Announce that it is now mommy time, Alani goes to bed with daddy and I leave Ian playing in living room with me while I do my exercise. 5. I try and go for walk/jog and at that time my husband watches the kids. Bottom line just got to do it! Won't give up!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids- ages 6, 4 and 2. i'm also a full time shift worker, but i'm lucky enough that my hubby is a SAHD. i started running when my baby was 3 months old. i'd go at 8pm for a jog around the block, and leave the older ones with hubs (they'd be in bed by then anyway), and push the little one in the pram. the other way i would do it was by getting up horribly early (like 430/5am) and going then (before work). i'd take a kid with me if they were awake so they didn't wake up the rest of the house.
    now they're a bit older i have had to adjust a bit. they want time with their mum, and i want time with them- but i still need to work out. i picked up an old cross trainer off ebay for $20, and an old tv/dvd player. i put them in the garage. now when i can't go out i'll put a dvd on for the kids- i set it up like a camping adventure or a picnic- and crank it out on the XT until the kids get bored and i have to stop. i usually get about 30mins to an hour before they start wanting my attention. i also do dvds in the lounge- the kids can join in if theyy want, or they can go and play elsewhere. i am conscious about kicking them in the head, and it can disrupt my workout a bit, but it's that or nothing.
    besides, i think it's good that my kids see exercise as a normal part of life.
  • maliap115
    Options
    My kids are 6 & 8 and my boyfriend's son is 2 years old. The other day I worked out using a Wii game and the older 2 joined in while the little one played with trucks. It was frustrating because of course the older 2 got sick of playing along with me because it's "boring", but the little one kept himself pretty content with his trucks. It's hard to find the time, so I focus on the motivation instead of "time". I sneak in 30 minute work outs when I can, and even if I'm flat out exhausted, I force myself to do it. You have to figure out what your motivation is for wanting to work out and wanting to be healthy, the rest will fall into place
  • Katy8967
    Katy8967 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I have a 2 year old and a 14 week old. The 2 year old doesnt nap anymore and the 14 week old doesnt like to nap for very long during the day. My partner also works away during the week only coming home at weekend. The only routine iv found to work for me is to get up at 6 on a morning (kids dont get up til 7.30) and workout, have a cuppa, shower and get dressed for the day and if i have any time left over i make a start on housework. If iv had a bad night with baby and cant bring myself to get out of bed at 6 i wait until the 2 year old has gone to bed on a night (between 7.30-8.00) and the baby is sleeping to do my workout before going to bed. Some days i do attempt to do a short workout during the day and my 2 year old loves to join in and do his "up downs" and "lying downs" .

Failing that we go for a walk and/or play chasing games in the garden
  • Jessimaaka
    Jessimaaka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 month old. He does not sleep for more than 20 min at a time. I have my sister watch him while doing workout videos or running on the treadmill while my husband is at work. We also did a mommy and me bootcamp. He hates the stroller so I wear him in an Ergo while we walk our dog (burns even more calories depending on weight!). Good luck!
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    How old is your little one? If he is up (And is small enough) just put him in his highchair with a snack or colors or something while you workout. I have an 18 mo and a 5 week old (and a 10 yo). I haven't gotten back to exercising just yet, still have another week, but before I would just put him in his highchair, or get up early while he was still sleeping. Where there is a will... there is a way :)
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Got a 4-year old and an 18-month old. Both my husband and I love cycling. On weekends we plan a trip to somewhere child-friendly a nice distance away. One of us drives with the kids, the other cycles. Sometimes one does each way. It's a lovely way to fit in a proper ride without seeing the kids. I also do 30 day shred or something similar once they're down if I feel I'm missing a workout.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 years old and I operate a dayhome. I am constantly busy busy busy but make it work. I used to workout late at night but I now do it early morning. I wake up at 5-5:30 and hope she doesn't wake up lol
    Also, look at gyms, some have daycare, that's great for little one to interact :)
  • jessc923
    Options
    I am a mom of Two children. In effort to find my time to work out...I analyzed what my day required as far as kids, house, work the next day, etc...and i formed a system suitable for my family. It is a necessity. I have to be at work by 6am. I am not working out in the morning! Lunch is only thirty minutes long. So...I execute my system and i take these appetite suppressant pills that so far give me great energy and no crash. Its working. I am like supermom. I work out after they go to bed. I am a Fan Of IntervalTraining Because it suppose to be effective in A short period of time. So message me if you or anybody else wants to know more. Hope i helped. I have before and after pictures in my profile.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I try to integrate it into our day--go for walks, play at the park, wrestle, "weightlift" the toddler, do "airplane" on my legs, etc. Even cleaning the house can be a workout. For instance, scrub floors with your hands instead of an "easy" mop, or bake some bread and knead dough (can be healthier anyways), or take on a "big" cleaning project once a week, like washing windows or wiping down the walls, or fixing something, so you can still have activity while being "productive".

And then for my "real" workouts, I just wait until they're in bed and do the elliptical, yoga, pilates, etc. while I watch TV.
  • tresmommy86
    tresmommy86 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I know it's not just me but it's nice to get moms (and dad's) perspectives. I will just have to suck it up and figure it out. My son is almost 2 so he's always on the go, lol. I guess I just need to set up that me time. If I can do it to go eat out I can work out. I really got some great tips from you all, so I'll just kick him. (J/K :bigsmile: )
  • jelr
    jelr Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain I have a 3 year old and 4 year old my husband is military and even when hes home hes pretty much working. Studying his books and T.O.'s for rank tests or qualification tests or working hours that do not permit me getting help from him to go to the gym or keep kids out of my hair. Our gym is about 40 minutes away and has a "mommy room" (a treadmill, exercise bike, elliptical, and some freeweights) but It's usually packed and my kids are always trying to climb over the little 2 1/2 foot barrier wall between the play area and workout machines so I got sick of hopping off my machine every 3 minutes to deal with distracting them back into play for 5 minutes. I have been trying to use nap time to workout lately but I am lucky if I am not having to constantly chase one of them back into their beds while the other sleeps then by the time that one is down the one that went to sleep on time is back up! I honestly just bust out an activity (which I begrudgingly pay for having to clean up later since I wasn't supervising it) such as playdough or coloring when I fail to get my workout in during nap time. Find something short like the 30DS so it atleast is something. I honestly have knocked my kids over a few times, won't lie because they come busting in and run up to me while I am zoned in on my workout. They do tend to run up to me less now and maintain a few feet radius but still make me stop every 5-10 minutes to get them something, help with something, etc.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You've gotten lots of great tips, and I just wanted to say: Don't give up on getting in your exercise! It is going to be very difficult, but you want to find something/anything that works for you and stick with it. I didn't when my kids were younger, and have just started getting serious about exercise in the last two years. I have so much further to go than I would have had I started when they were babies!
    My children are only 16 months apart and are ages 4 and 5. They're now at the point where they can entertain themselves, but whenever I try to use the Wii Fit or do an exercise video, they have nothing better to do than stare and of course, beg for their own turn to use the Wii. I embrace the interruption (what else can you do?), and we either take turns playing Wii Fit games or play Just Dance for Kids. When it's nice outside, I take the kids to the park and run/bike with them.
    I know I usually get a better workout when I work out by myself than I do with the kids, so I started going to the gym. They have a childcare if I need it, but I usually schedule my gym time for when my husband is home to watch them.

If you continue to struggle, just hang in there. It does all get easier the older they get!
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this, too - Today I put her in her playpen for a few minutes (which is about as much as my flabby butt can handle right now) while I did a workout video. She was content to read books and play with a few toys. In the summer I plan to get a jogger so I can take her to the park and start running again.
  • PrimalSiren
    Options
    Bodyrock.tv or Zcut. My workouts take 15 mins tops. They kick my *kitten* every time, but I can fit them into my 2 and 3 year olds schedule.