I cant believe they didnt like it!

Options
tiffanygil
tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
So Ive been really trying to get my kids to eat healthier. I've gradually replaced foods in the house that are unhealthy with healthy. Funny thing is my kids didnt even notice until today. I am watching my niece and nephew this evening and we made a diet coke cake and had cool whip for frosting (I thought it was special because i added chocolate chips to the cool whip) My kids love it. My niece hated it! Made popcorn from an air popper, they hated it. Made french fries (baked) wouldnt eat them...are you kidding this was a big treat for my kids!!!!

They wouldnt even drink the juice because it wasnt kool aid. Wow.

Replies

• jenwillbthin
    Options
    great job on the switching. Keep it up they will get use to it sooner or later.
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    Well, in all fairness, they were dropped into healthy-town, not gradually introduced like your kids. They may get used to it, or they may just get used to the idea that they won't like what auntie cooks. :laugh: I remember, as a kid, that my grandmother asked me once if I wanted a pepsi. I said yes, but after the first drink, knew that something was wrong. I asked my mom why it tasted weird and she said it was diet pepsi. Ah-ha! I never drank a pepsi from grandma's house again....:wink:
  • tscholar
    tscholar Posts: 9
    Options
    I have to ask, what is diet coke cake?
  • michellenadasi
    Options
    They will look back on it when they're older and realize that you were only trying to help them. I'm the mean mom who sneaks stuff into my daughter's food. (I put some carrots in her macaroni and cheese when I pack it in her lunch at school). I applaud your effort..:smile:
  • rocknrolla2009
    rocknrolla2009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Try some Deceptively Delicious recipes! I've heard they're an awesome way to feed your kids healthy foods without them knowing about it, lol
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love it when moms change their lives, and the future of their children.

Great Job!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think it's telling that your kids see the healthy stuff as "a treat" and your niece and nephew can't stand it--obviously, you've hooked your kids on the good stuff, and kudos to you for doing that! (It's so tough to get kids to eat well with all the ads and clever product placement for junk foods...). Like one poster said, they've had healthy food sprung on them rather than slowly introduced--even I can't handle that :wink:--don't take offense, just be proud that you're doing your kids a huge favor and I'm sure they'll thank you for it one day.

(And, yeah... what *is* a diet coke cake?)
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Diet coke cakes are basically like normal cakes, but made with soda.
    You take one box of cake mix, a can of soda, and one egg (or egg white, but either of these are optional).

My personal favorite is Diet Orange Soda and white cake mix (but I make cupcakes). Everybody goes crazy over them! And they cook for the same time and everything too. =D But fewer calories and such. =)
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    As to the original post, that's awesome! It's hard to get kids to like healthy food.
    I applaud you. =)
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    You can check the weight watchers site they also ave recipe for carrot cake etc
    Ingredients

1 box cake mix (any flavor)
    1 diet soda (dark colored for chocolate cake, light colored for yellow or white cakes)
    Fat Free Cool Whip (optional)

Directions
    Stir 1/2 to 3/4 of the diet soda into the cake mix. Bake according to box directions. Cool, and ice with Fat Free Cool Whip if desired.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I know kids like that.. it's insane!:explode:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    cake mix + diet coke = diet coke cake. You use the diet soda in place of eggs and oil.
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    the other day my 12 y/o son asked me to start serving more fruit at dinner because he didn't think he was getting enough. I was so happy to hear that I had given him the desire to eat a balanced diet. Congrats on starting your kids off on a great journey! Like another post said when they are older your niece and nephew will see what you were trying to do. Hopefully they will not also be working to undo years of unhealthy eating as they grow up. Oh, and thanks for the bringng Diet Coke Cake into my life.... sounds awesome!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yeah, diet coke cake is awesome. I like it better than reg. cake its really moist. My fav. combination so far has been diet ruby red mist with lemon cake.

I use 2 egg whites, 1 can of diet pop and 1 box cake mix.

as for frosting, I put cool whip free with 1/4 cup of melted peanutbutter
    or Ive put blueberries in the batter and frosting (that was a good one)
    its about 200 cals for 1/12. which is a pretty big peice so I usually eat only half....
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I love it when moms change their lives, and the future of their children.

Great Job!

I LOVE YOUR SMILEYS!!!!!
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump* I have to try this when I get home..
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I have to ask what is "healthy" about cool whip, box cake mixes and diet pop? All of them are full of chemicals. If I'm going to have a treat I want it to be natural foods. Just because a food is low cal or low sugar does not mean it's healthy.