Obsessed!

Options
I have only been on here since last Thursday. January 17th and I am currenly down 5 pounds! That is fabulous, but I find that all I do is obsess over what and howmuch and when I can eat anything and what I could do better.
I am really liking this program and think it may stick but I need to learn how to make it not so over powering.
Any advice??

Replies

• sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Its addictive can't help at all Lol!:happy:
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    I think when you get use to what you can eat and still loose weight (smaller portions and better food) you will not be so obsessed :-)
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It's better to be addicted to this, and weight loss than junk food I say! I have been on for 4 weeks so far. I love it and I don't think I can ever live without it again. I love MFP!
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It's better to be addicted to this, and weight loss than junk food I say! I have been on for 4 weeks so far. I love it and I don't think I can ever live without it again. I love MFP!
    I second that! :) x
  • burning_dragon
    Options
    I know what you mean, I did too at first but I'm nearly 4 weeks in and have calmed down and don't obsess as much!

It doesn't happen naturally, I found as soon as I for used to regular portions and cutting the crap I had a better mind set give it time :)
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Relax and take a deep breath. Your in it for the long haul. This excitement your feeling will wear off when the easy pounds stop dropping. You will not likely see 5lbs lost in a week very often unless you have a lot to lose.

I'm going to quote from another thread.
    So you found out about this app and are determined to lose a bunch of weight and let your inner skinnier person out. It's going to go something like this:

1st week -
    I'm going to lose two pounds a week. This is going to be great. I'm going to be so determined and so dedicated...

2nd week -
    The hell!?!?!? Why didn't I lose anything? I've been so good. I worked so hard. I should just give up. I'm just meant to be fat. I'll never lose this weight.

3rd week -
    How did that burger get in my mouth? Or the pizza? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! I'm a failure...

4th week -
    Holy cow!! I lost four pounds. That's a pound a week. That's not bad. I think there's hope.

2nd month - I'm losing so much weight. This is so great. I'll be to my goal in no time at all!!

3rd month - Um.... hello??? What happened? Why aren't we losing weight now. I didn't change anything. I even worked out more. Why do you hate me?!?!? I want cake!

4th month - Whew - doing good. I'm OK. Look at how far I've gotten. Yay me. Just hang in there. I'm going to try going to the gym.

5th month - Going to the gym is hard. I can barely get three days a week in. And everyone there must think I'm so fat and wonder why I'm there. And I'm so sore. Can't move anything. Sitting down is hard.

6th month - I thought I'd be farther along. Why haven't I lost more? I've only gone down two sizes. Shouldn't I be at my goal weight already? Maybe I should try that fad diet or that starvation diet? So tired of people trying to get me to splurge and eat my old favorite junk foods just because I'm working out now and deserve a treat. They just don't get it. I can't afford to splurge right now!

7th Month - I'm going to kill someone right now. I hate this stupid diet. Why didn't I just stick with what I was doing before? It was working. Maybe not as fast as I wanted, but it was working. Where are the cookies??

9th Month - I reached the halfway point!! I'm doing so great. I love my gym. I go there five times a week now. I found this really great class and the instructor is so awesome. This trainer taught me some great new exercises. Some of my friends want to exercise with me now. They are so amazed at how much I've lost and they want to know my secret. I've given up all my old fat clothes for all these awesome new clothes. (Yikes for my credit card bill, but yay for my closet!)

10th month - Plateau?? FU plateau!! So tired of this. Maybe I should try working out with a trainer because obviously I don't know what I'm doing anymore. I've even started gaining weight because I can't stop binging on junk because I'm so depressed to have become so stuck and just when I was half way there...

12th Month - Dammit!! I keep dropping sizes. Getting replacement clothes is getting so expensive!! I barely have the stuff for two months and it's too big again. Must buy smaller sizes so I have more time with them. So glad I stopped starving myself. BMR and TDEE all the way!!

16 Months - I feel great!! You know, even if I don't make it all the way to goal, the size I'm at now is pretty nice. I'm definitely getting a lot more attention. I'm OK if this is as far as I can get. I'm just really enjoying this new lifestyle. And all these changes I made for my health have inspired me to make other changes in other parts of my life. Over all I'm a much happier person and my life is a whole lot better than before. I got rid of the negative influences in my life and have a great circle of supportive, positive people. Work is much better. My attitude about life is better. Life is wonderful!! I feel like a burger tonight. I worked out hard today and I have the calories. I can have it.

18 Months - 80 pounds!!!!! I can't believe I lost 80 pounds!!!! I'm a smaller size than I was in high school!! It's so weird to see myself in the mirror. I'm the same size as my skinny friend. How did that happen? And I'm a single digit size now. Never thought I'd be able to say that!!
  • turtlesmom04
    turtlesmom04 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, I never thought about that but you are right. It IS better to be addicted to this and make sure that I am focussed on bettering my health!
  • celb500
    celb500 Posts: 76
    Options
    6 months in and im still 'obsessed'. Losing wieght is hard and keeping it off is harder, you have to change your lifestyle and the way you view food, you have to focus on it so it does seem like youre 'obsessed' but that is natural in this process.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    This
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Its addictive can't help at all Lol!:happy:

I agree it is very addictive. I think when we are first starting out, it has to be. we need to be dedicated and we need to read a lot of the success stories to keep us motivated. I also go through a lot of other posts , as well, and I find there is so much fantastic information here for us to benefit from. I totally love MFP. I need to really plan my day to ensure I am making the right healthy choices and to make sure I get atleast one walk in a day. good luck to all.
  • ccpowers
    ccpowers Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I am going on 10 months consistantly checking in, not all of that time have I logged but I ALWAYS check in. I have not only lost weight, become healthier but met some amazing people here. I think I will always be obsessed.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It gets better with time.

I know what you mean, and it helps you succeed, but you won't do it (obsess) forever. But hopefully you'll keep logging and losing or maintaining.
  • GaryMerr
    Options
    Yeah, I'm right there with you. I'm new too and find myself checking in very regularly. That said, the community is a great support and great fun. I am sure it will all balance out in the end!
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It will eventually become part of your routine. And as far as your food goes, once you go a while 'obsessing,' then you will learn which foods are healthy,which are not, so you will naturally know what to eat and what not to without having to check mfp beforehand. I did this program long before MFP, it's called counting calories. lol.. Less in than out. That's all it takes.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Relax and take a deep breath. Your in it for the long haul. This excitement your feeling will wear off when the easy pounds stop dropping. You will not likely see 5lbs lost in a week very often unless you have a lot to lose.

So you found out about this app and are determined to lose a bunch of weight and let your inner skinnier person out. It's going to go something like this:

1st week -
    I'm going to lose two pounds a week. This is going to be great. I'm going to be so determined and so dedicated...

2nd week -
    The hell!?!?!? Why didn't I lose anything? I've been so good. I worked so hard. I should just give up. I'm just meant to be fat. I'll never lose this weight.

3rd week -
    How did that burger get in my mouth? Or the pizza? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! I'm a failure...

4th week -
    Holy cow!! I lost four pounds. That's a pound a week. That's not bad. I think there's hope.

2nd month - I'm losing so much weight. This is so great. I'll be to my goal in no time at all!!

3rd month - Um.... hello??? What happened? Why aren't we losing weight now. I didn't change anything. I even worked out more. Why do you hate me?!?!? I want cake!

4th month - Whew - doing good. I'm OK. Look at how far I've gotten. Yay me. Just hang in there. I'm going to try going to the gym.

5th month - Going to the gym is hard. I can barely get three days a week in. And everyone there must think I'm so fat and wonder why I'm there. And I'm so sore. Can't move anything. Sitting down is hard.

6th month - I thought I'd be farther along. Why haven't I lost more? I've only gone down two sizes. Shouldn't I be at my goal weight already? Maybe I should try that fad diet or that starvation diet? So tired of people trying to get me to splurge and eat my old favorite junk foods just because I'm working out now and deserve a treat. They just don't get it. I can't afford to splurge right now!

7th Month - I'm going to kill someone right now. I hate this stupid diet. Why didn't I just stick with what I was doing before? It was working. Maybe not as fast as I wanted, but it was working. Where are the cookies??

9th Month - I reached the halfway point!! I'm doing so great. I love my gym. I go there five times a week now. I found this really great class and the instructor is so awesome. This trainer taught me some great new exercises. Some of my friends want to exercise with me now. They are so amazed at how much I've lost and they want to know my secret. I've given up all my old fat clothes for all these awesome new clothes. (Yikes for my credit card bill, but yay for my closet!)

10th month - Plateau?? FU plateau!! So tired of this. Maybe I should try working out with a trainer because obviously I don't know what I'm doing anymore. I've even started gaining weight because I can't stop binging on junk because I'm so depressed to have become so stuck and just when I was half way there...

12th Month - Dammit!! I keep dropping sizes. Getting replacement clothes is getting so expensive!! I barely have the stuff for two months and it's too big again. Must buy smaller sizes so I have more time with them. So glad I stopped starving myself. BMR and TDEE all the way!!

16 Months - I feel great!! You know, even if I don't make it all the way to goal, the size I'm at now is pretty nice. I'm definitely getting a lot more attention. I'm OK if this is as far as I can get. I'm just really enjoying this new lifestyle. And all these changes I made for my health have inspired me to make other changes in other parts of my life. Over all I'm a much happier person and my life is a whole lot better than before. I got rid of the negative influences in my life and have a great circle of supportive, positive people. Work is much better. My attitude about life is better. Life is wonderful!! I feel like a burger tonight. I worked out hard today and I have the calories. I can have it.

18 Months - 80 pounds!!!!! I can't believe I lost 80 pounds!!!! I'm a smaller size than I was in high school!! It's so weird to see myself in the mirror. I'm the same size as my skinny friend. How did that happen? And I'm a single digit size now. Never thought I'd be able to say that!!

Yup this 100%
  • turtlesmom04
    turtlesmom04 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WOW! Such support! I love this place :)
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It starts out that way, but it does get better because you learn how to do it on your own with saying that, I still get on here many times a day just because of what great support I have, and because I love to check in on the message boards see what's going on and other things too, it's just become a part of my life which it has to in order for me to actually lose weight and keep it off just embrace it!!!!!!
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I used to be really obsessed about it too,and I lost 10 kg which is pretty good,but then I couldn't take it anymore(I guess because it became kinda frustrating to go on here every two hours or so and log my food) and I've gained it all back and put on some more.
    At this point I'm not as obsessed,probably because I now know that I want to change my life completely(not just lose all the weight in two months and then forget about this whole regime),and it's a long process and I don't need to be obsessing about every single thing I eat.This isn't something that should be consuming most of your time,because you'll probably snap and stop doing it.
  • babybeijing
    Options
    at first...u feel that
    it will get smoother ;)
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options

1st week -

2nd week -
    ...............................................................................

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been and am still going through all of this! Very encouraging! Nice to know you are not alone!:drinker: