Working out every day?

Options
So my workout routine basically consists of doing pilates (POPpilates videos on youtube) 7 days a week and then 6 days a week I do some form of cardio for 20-60 minutes such as zumba, elliptical, HIIT, or circuit training. Is this too much exercise? Particularly doing pilates every day? I don’t really consider it to be strenuous work but should I still allow myself to have a rest day? I typically do about 30-45 minutes of abs, butt, arm, and thigh workouts. I’m usually sore for a little while after completing the video, but I’m hardly ever sore the next day.

Replies

• dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I would really try to take a rest day. I learned this the hard way by working out 7 days a week. Now my period has gone away. I have seen the dr. and she has assured me that it will come back. I am forcing myself to take a rest day on Wednesdays.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I do pretty much the same thing you do. Youtube workouts. I take a rest day or two spread out over the week. One, I can get my home stuff done, two my body gets a rest and I can keep up with the HIIT stuff more easily. I have always believed that your body does need rest to recover and to not get "stuck" in routine.
  • nje444
    nje444 Posts: 62
    Options
    I workout about 6 days a week and mix it up between running, tae-bo/kick boxing, yoga, and weight lifting. I work out because I want to eat when I'm hungry, have a sweet every now and then, and all of that good stuff. But also I am a happier person when I exercise.
    Sometimes I will take an extra day off because my body is exhausted, I'm sore, or there just arent enough hours in the day.
    I think as long as you are listening to your body, you can continue your routine.
  • em3120
    em3120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    So even with the pilates it's ok? I know the pilates involves a lot of muscle work, but it's not really strenuous.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I've done stints of seven days per week of heavy lifting. Did I feel like I was going to die? Yes. Did I die? Obviously not. It did make it a touch more difficult to pull to my full potential at every session, but it was perfectly doable.

The only way to know if it's fine for you is to try it. Some people can keep an elite training pace every day for years. Others can't manage more than three days in a row.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week almost every week.

However, not every day is the same intensity. If my body is broken down from a particularly hard workout, I go easier the next day.

I occasionally take an additional rest day when I feel like I need it.

7 days a week at hard intensity = problems. If you aren't sore and don't feel like you need rest, try upping your intensity or duration and then taking the rest day. You will see better results
  • em3120
    em3120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week almost every week.

However, not every day is the same intensity. If my body is broken down from a particularly hard workout, I go easier the next day.

I occasionally take an additional rest day when I feel like I need it.

7 days a week at hard intensity = problems. If you aren't sore and don't feel like you need rest, try upping your intensity or duration and then taking the rest day. You will see better results

Thanks for the advice! And congrats on your awesome weight loss!
  • corridor7f
    Options
    I believe firmly in having at least one rest day. You need a chance to listen to your body and what it's doing.. and if you don't have a day off, you're not going to be as attuned and you risking injury.

I usually choose my rest day after my most intense workout of the week. If not, it's that day something unexpected came up in life, so I unofficially appoint it.

I do 5-6 days a week, 6 ideally.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I work out pretty much every day but if I am exhausted or really sore then I take a day off.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whether you need a rest day really depends on how intensely you are working out. It doesn't sound like your workouts are intense enough to do damage wihtout a break. But if you want a rest day it's unlikely to hinder your progress.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Rest days are essential when your workouts are breaking down muscle tissue; it doesn't sound like your workouts are that intense. So other than listening to your body and taking a day off when it says "enough", then you're fine.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Try to work in one rest day a week, your body will thank you and you won't gain any weight
  • N8r8r
    N8r8r Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So my workout routine basically consists of doing pilates (POPpilates videos on youtube) 7 days a week and then 6 days a week I do some form of cardio for 20-60 minutes such as zumba, elliptical, HIIT, or circuit training. Is this too much exercise? Particularly doing pilates every day? I don’t really consider it to be strenuous work but should I still allow myself to have a rest day? I typically do about 30-45 minutes of abs, butt, arm, and thigh workouts. I’m usually sore for a little while after completing the video, but I’m hardly ever sore the next day.

From everything that I've read online and been told by the fitness experts at the gym I used to go to, they recommend a day of cardio based activity, and then a day of strength training activity (weight lifting); this way you can still get in your daily workout, but don't have muscle fatigue from over working things. If you don't want to weight lift or do strength training stuff, you could try just varying the muscle groups you're working each day (ex. Ab-arm one day, butt-thigh the next).

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a 100 day challenge where you workout everyday for a least 30 mins a day for 100 days. Pretty easy. On the days that I feel I should have a rest day I do Yoga or Something Light. That way I still get my workout in and Rest :)
  • isomaxx
    Options
    my personal philosophy is NO DAYS OFF!! That doesn't mean you need to lift everyday, but I like to do something every day, no exceptions.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. 6 days of cardio, with strength training added on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Saturday is my rest day. I usually do something active like hiking or something, but something that isn't too strenuous.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    my personal philosophy is NO DAYS OFF!! That doesn't mean you need to lift everyday, but I like to do something every day, no exceptions.

I like this guy's answer.
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Tomorrow is my rest day. But I plan to clean the house from top to bottom (this includes moving furniture around, washing two dogs & washing inside and out windows), taking a 60 minute cross country walk with two dogs and a toddler and doing 30 DS. So I'm still getting something done on my rest day.
  • wordswespeak
    wordswespeak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work out every day but I'm very careful about choosing what I do if my abs are sore then I usually take a day off because your core is so important for most exercises but if just my arms hurt then I'll do a cardio or leg workout. It really depends on how well you know your body if the muscle is too sore don't force it and try working around it.
  • c1aireee
    c1aireee Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I workout properly ( stationary bike & currently JM 30 day shred ) every week day and at weekends I usually have rest days maybe just walking is the only exercise I do