Am I the only one??

Options
I'm wondering if I'm the only one who has a problem counting calories. I was doing so well the other day. I had about 1000 calories left to go for the day to divide between an afternoon snack and dinner. I did not want to eat all of it back since I had went to the gym twice that day. When I got home, all I could think about is food. I tried to distract myself but I couldn't. Eventually I gave in and ate some cookies and milk. I hate that I'm sabotaging myself. I also don't want to exist in a constant state of dieting for the rest of my life either. HELP!!

Replies

• Kupcake84
    Kupcake84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are not alone!!!

I've learned adding proteing and fiber to your diet will maintain fullness longer and cause you to crave less. So make sure you have plenty of fruits and veggies and lean meats!
  • NewKeriSept2014
    NewKeriSept2014 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    you are not alone! I ate scallopped potatos that were LEFTOVERS from a few nights ago last night, just cuz i was bored and it sounded good, when it really wasn't. and YES i feel guilty. but that one cheat cannot interfere with my goals! we can do this!

main thing I am doing is consuming 1700 calories. sounds like a lot but if you are working out your body needs those calories. Just make sure you go with healthy options and try to avoid processed foods as much as possible.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1,000 calories to go? Go where? You do realize that you should net to your goal right...you're not supposed to shoot under the goal. Provided you set your profile up correctly in MFP, you caloric goal has a built in deficit...if you're working out, you need to eat those calories back or at least most of them to avoid too large a deficit.

You should never feel like you're starving. I'm eating at a deficit of 1 Lb per week...I work out and eat my exercise calories back and I lose, on average, 1 Lb per week (just as planned)...and I rarely if ever have hunger pangs.
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    A guy at work told me that if you think of it as a diet you will never make it. Its not a diet its a life style change. When you are hungry skip the milk and cookies and go for the carrots or 90 calorie snack pack. I have also found that the pickles we by are 0 calories and I love pickles so Ill eat a few of those for a snack. By the way the guy at work has lost 60 lbs in about 6 months after he ended up in the hospital on the verge of going into a diabetic coma.
  • AmyK2003
    AmyK2003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was so much that I was hungry. It was that I wanted the milk and cookies that I need to stop buying. Lol I do net my calories, but wanted to leave a deficit of about 150 to 200 calories from the 1000 so that I wouldn't just eat them all back. I'm going to do better. Just try not to obsess about it as much.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I know for me, it's best not to let myself get hungry. It sounds like you were trying to be way under your goal and you get yourself get really hungry. And yes, eat all the way up to your goal. Your deficit is built in. (In case that's what you were trying to do)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You can eat cookies and drink milk. Don't eliminate foods you love, it will just make you crave them even more, possibly overeat them and then cause you to mentally spiral down, possibly stopping your progress to a healthier you. I ate 400 cals of peanut brittle last night but didn't even bat an eyelash. I ate well the entire day, got in a good cardio and strength training workout and then allowed myself something I love. I came in just at my calorie needs.
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A guy at work told me that if you think of it as a diet you will never make it. Its not a diet its a life style change. When you are hungry skip the milk and cookies and go for the carrots or 90 calorie snack pack. I have also found that the pickles we by are 0 calories and I love pickles so Ill eat a few of those for a snack. By the way the guy at work has lost 60 lbs in about 6 months after he ended up in the hospital on the verge of going into a diabetic coma.

pickles are obviously not 0 calories. they're just so low in calories that, in a small enough serving size, they can "get away" with calling it zero.

watch out for all that salt though. Just a few pickles could be all the salt you're supposed to have in a day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was so much that I was hungry. It was that I wanted the milk and cookies that I need to stop buying. Lol I do net my calories, but wanted to leave a deficit of about 150 to 200 calories from the 1000 so that I wouldn't just eat them all back. I'm going to do better. Just try not to obsess about it as much.

Oh my mistake, I misread.
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

pickles are obviously not 0 calories. they're just so low in calories that, in a small enough serving size, they can "get away" with calling it zero.

watch out for all that salt though. Just a few pickles could be all the salt you're supposed to have in a day.

Nutrition Facts

Great Value - Hamburger Dill Chips Pickles

Servings: 1 oz (28g/3 chips) 1 container (18 oz (28g/3 chips) ea.)

Calories 0 Sodium 390 mg
    Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 1 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 0

Both this and the jar both say the same 0 calories
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Ok, I read your reply and now am feeling anxious. "If you set up your profile correctly". I sure hope I did that.
    This is intended to be in reponse to cwolfman14. I'm sorry, I'm new here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Ok, I read your reply and now am feeling anxious. "If you set up your profile correctly". I sure hope I did that.
    This is intended to be in reponse to cwolfman14. I'm sorry, I'm new here.

A lot of people over estimate or underestimate their activity level. A lot of people who are sedentary will put "lightly active"...because they do have a desk job, but they have to get up to go talk to people or go to the bathroom or whatever...they basically cheat and lie to the system and then wonder why they don't get results. Also, the opposite often also occurs...someone is genuinely lightly active but they put themselves as sedentary which often results in too big a caloric deficit in the goal.

Additionally, many go with the most aggressive approach...i.e. 2Lbs per week. MFP, unlike other calculators does not really factor in your weight or anything and doesn't give any kind of warning that 2 Lbs per week is generally considered to be unhealthy unless you are obese; that said, MFP does recommend 1 Lb per week (as this is generally considered safe and healthy weight loss).

The reason I mention obese and the 2 Lb per week goal is that generally, they have enough fat to sustain such a large deficit without doing any real damage...they have enough fat to fuel the deficit. Someone who is just a bit overweight simply doesn't have enough fat to fuel that kind of deficit so the body, in an effort to protect you from starvation, goes into a metabolic stall. Not that this happens right away, but this forum is chalked full of posts about hitting a plateau on the 1,200 calorie plan.

1,200 calories per day is generally the 2 Lbs per week plan and on average represents an 800-1,000 calorie per day deficit from a maintenance level of calories (TDEE Total Daily Energy Expenditure) for most women (on average). It is also below BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) for most women as well (unless you are very short).

I personally wish MFP had some kind of warning like other TDEE method calculators do to let people know that the caloric goal selected is greater than 20% of your TDEE and could potentially dangerous...20% less of your TDEE is roughly 1 Lb per week loss. Many calculators will inform you that you should speak to a physician if you intend to go below 20% of your TDEE as there can be numerous unintended consequences of doing so long term.

It seem no matter how much you tell people to just go slow and low, they always want the quick fix. In reality, people who go nice and slow often see better results and ultimately faster results because they aren't going into frequent plateau...short range, you obviously see more results with 2Lbs...long range, from what I've seen, people going slower just end up having more success.

Also, unfortunately, a lot of people simply don't comprehend that MFP builds in that deficit...they automatically assume that the output provided by MFP is a max when in fact, it is a minimum (net of exercise)
  • DonnaJones7
    DonnaJones7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You are NOT the only one. Habits die hard. Change is HARD. I have found that I do best when I realize that I CAN have cookies and milk, but NOT a whole box of cookies every day. If I'm "craving" something, I try to have a little and be done. If I can make a replacement, even better. I agree with all the folks that remind us we're making a lifestyle change. Don't beat yourself up, just do better each time you can.
    Good luck!
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Nutrition Facts

Great Value - Hamburger Dill Chips Pickles

Servings: 1 oz (28g/3 chips) 1 container (18 oz (28g/3 chips) ea.)

Calories 0 Sodium 390 mg
    Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 1 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 0

Both this and the jar both say the same 0 calories

Yes, and that's technically legal, but incorrect. Cucumbers contain calories, do you think they disappear once pickled? Carbs and protein just disappear?

It is not zero but it is so low that they are allowed to "round it down" to zero.

As you even posted, it says there's 1 gram of carbs in there. You know how many calories are in a gram of carbs, right? It's one of the most basic facts in the nutrition world.

According to the default MFP entry for dill pickles, 28g contains 1g of carbs, 5 calories, 359 mg sodium, 32 mg potassium, and 1% vitamin A, C, and iron (each would be rounded up or down from anything from 0.5%-1.4%)

It's really a semantic point, and if you're counting calories and damning all else, yes, you could call them zero calorie for all intents and purposes, but the fact remains that they don't ACTUALLY contain no calories.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how many times I have had a great day and sabotaged it an hour before I went to bed. you are not alone
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You had 1000 calories left and you feel like you sabotaged yourself by eating cookies and milk? How much cookies and milk did you eat? If you were under 1000 calories, then what is the problem? Why didn't you want to eat the 1000 calories?

How many total and net calories do you typically eat in a day?
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that and my husband would whipped up a quick pan of "emergency" brownies, and there would go my day, but since then, I have a bowl of fresh cut up veggies, a fruit bowl, and I keep hard boiled eggs on hand when I get the evening munchies. For what you ate in cookies and milk, you could eat twice as much fruit and/or veggies and a hard boiled egg and be full for the rest of the night.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if I'm the only one who has a problem counting calories. I was doing so well the other day. I had about 1000 calories left to go for the day to divide between an afternoon snack and dinner. I did not want to eat all of it back since I had went to the gym twice that day. When I got home, all I could think about is food. I tried to distract myself but I couldn't. Eventually I gave in and ate some cookies and milk. I hate that I'm sabotaging myself. I also don't want to exist in a constant state of dieting for the rest of my life either. HELP!!

So don't go to the gym twice daily, it is not necessary unless you are an athlete (in which case you should be eating for fuel and recovery anyway not aiming to eat back fewer calories) and is high risk for injury or overtraining syndrome. Overexercising can lead to cravings even in the absence of hunger, exercise breaks the body down it is nutrition and rest that build it back up again. Try not overexercising OR seeing this as a long term healthy lifestyle change not a temporary diet.
  • AmyK2003
    AmyK2003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat a ton of cookies. I think it might have been just the mindset of "I shouldn't be eating this bc I'm trying to lose weight." I think I'll be alright. :) thanks guys. Also, I don't normally work out twice a day. Just knew I wouldn't be able to go to the gym the following day so I went back since I didn't have class that afternoon.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you went to the gym twice, I think you should be able to have a cookie or two. No need to binge, but if you have calories left, why not. Beating yourself up about it won't help at all. If you want to avoid the cookies, maybe you should try not to have them in the house.