V8 Juice

Options
Can anyone tell me just how good, or not so good, V8 Low sodium 100% Vegetable Juice is? They say processed juices aren't as good for you as the company's make you think. I heard this is the same as eating 3 vegetables a day? Thoughts anyone?
:frown:

Replies

• seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    my answer - why would "processing" make it worse? what are they taking away from the vegetables by blending them into a juice?

I love low sodium V8... posted about it just half an hour ago :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have a low sodium v8 every morning. It has more nutritional value than a fruit juice...I do the 11.5 Oz can and it says 2 servings of veg. It helps me hit my potassium goals, plus I really enjoy it. Making your own version of v8 is probably better overall, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to batch process my own veg juice.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Makes a great soup base. I used it last night as the base for a chipotle chicken chili.
  • seventieslord
    Options
    Here's what I posted earlier:

low sodium v8 is so awesome. If you're going to drink something from a bottle you simply can't do better. It is very low in calories, high in taste (once you get used to the fact that vegetable juice should not be very salty) and very high in potassium.

compare to tropicana orange juice.

- less than half the calories
    - over double the potassium
    - more fiber and protein
    - has some vitamin A, OJ doesn't
    - has a lot of other nutrients listed, although I can't say 100% for sure since OJ doesn't list them and V8 chooses to
    - more "substance" so it's more filling
    - believe it or not, it keeps up in vitamin C, the only thing OJ really has going for it
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    my answer - why would "processing" make it worse? what are they taking away from the vegetables by blending them into a juice?

Blending and juicing are two different things. Blended (minus any inedible skin or pips) counts towards your seven to nine servings a day because it is still whole produce. Juicing wastes the nutritious pulp and concentrates the sugars so only counts as one serving a day regardless of how much your drink. Pulp includes all the fibre and plenty of the minerals/ vitamins, juicing doesn't necessarily break down all the cell walls and organelles and extract all the nutrient rich liquids.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Love V8 especially with Low Sodium as my Sodium levels are off the charts most of the time. I try to watch it but it seems everything has sodium. Some foods shock me with the amount of Sodium they have. Anyway... Its great as a soup base or just drinking it as a snack. YUMMY
  • seventieslord
    Options

Blending and juicing are two different things. Blended (minus any inedible skin or pips) counts towards your seven to nine servings a day because it is still whole produce. Juicing wastes the nutritious pulp and concentrates the sugars so only counts as one serving a day regardless of how much your drink. Pulp includes all the fibre and plenty of the minerals/ vitamins, juicing doesn't necessarily break down all the cell walls and organelles and extract all the nutrient rich liquids.

based on its texture and incredibly high potassium content (double that of most juices) I would assume V8 is blended and not just "juiced"... would you agree?
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

:noway:

pulp from juicing is mostly fiber: http://www.all-about-juicing.com/pulp-nutrients.html
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    We drink the low sodium spicy hot frequently and use it in cooking. It's a great switch from oj fruit sugar in the a.m.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    great source of potassium
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I think it is great stuff. I like the little cans, 30 calories. Stick them in my lunch or have them for a snack. :drinker: