How not to say, "Hey! You look fat! Come diet with me!"

Seriously, how do you get your friends to join MFP with you without it sounding like the above statement? lol

Replies

• shosh413
    shosh413 Posts: 135 Member
    u can focus on the health aspect of it... explain how when u started counting calories it made you aware of what was really going into ur body and it's such an amazing cool way to give ur body what it really wants
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    I only mention it if someone asks how I'm losing the weight.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Hell, I needed someone to tell me how disgusting and squishy I was getting before I did anything about it. That approach may not work for everyone though. ;)
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Maybe if they're local to you, you can say something like, "I need a workout buddy. Wanna come on a walk with me?/Go to the gym with me?/Take this class with me?"

If not, maybe just talk about the other benefits--the awareness of what's going into your body, maybe something that surprised you about your eating habits ("I really thought I was getting more calcium, but I was really only getting 75%!"), or talking about how the accountability and support from friends made all the difference... Something to that effect.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    This sums it up
    I only mention it if someone asks how I'm losing the weight.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    I put it on my facebook. wow, I just found this site, helping me lose weight, its frickin awesome!
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    I sent invites to girls I knew were dieting in the recent-past, currently or had mentioned they wanted to lose weight. I will never say anything to anyone who is overweight or chubby, as it is not my business. If they ask how I log my calories and whatnot, then I'll let them know about MFP.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    DO NOT SUGGEST MFP TO PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT ALREADY TALKING TO YOU ABOUT FITNESS AND/OR DIET AND/OR WEIGHTLOSS.

simple.

Also, NEVER ask a stranger if she was pregnant. Happened to me quite a few times it's another one of those things that I think everyone OUGHT to know better....but apparently they do not.

No, I wasn't pregnant.
  • Kadesha72
    Kadesha72 Posts: 109 Member
    I've only mentioned it to those people I know are in a perpetual battle with their eating habits (as I was)... and I just said, "Hey I downloaded this really awesome app that keeps up with my calories every day and I had no idea how much food I was eating until I saw it there!" and if they ask more, I tell them.

People I don't know as well, or whatever, I just don't mention it, unless they ask. Like I had one girl at work notice I was counting, by me saying, "No, I can't have that now or I'll have to give up this later..>" type deal, and she asked how I was even keeping up with it...
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    I hear lots of people say "fluffy" instead of fat. I think it sounds better. Try it.

"Hey! You are fluffy! Come diet with me!"

Doesn't sound as rude, does it?

Have you tried the 3-day military diet?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Seriously, how do you get your friends to join MFP with you without it sounding like the above statement? lol

Lead by example. If they see it working for you then they will join you.

Build it and they will come.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Wait until they compliment you and tell you they wish they could lose a few pounds...that's the door of opportunity right there :)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member

I let them know that it's not just for losing but gaining and maintaining and how supportive everyone here is.

Honestly I pimp this site out to anyone who will listen lol, I think it's such a great community to help with all aspects of healthy living.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    You can lead a horse to water.....

Let's be real for a minute here- they know they're fat. If they want help, they'll ask.
  • es214
    es214 Posts: 41
    DO NOT SUGGEST MFP TO PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT ALREADY TALKING TO YOU ABOUT FITNESS AND/OR DIET AND/OR WEIGHTLOSS.

simple.

Also, NEVER ask a stranger if she was pregnant. Happened to me quite a few times it's another one of those things that I think everyone OUGHT to know better....but apparently they do not.

No, I wasn't pregnant.

hahahah ^^ this!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    I don't tell people to work out or suggest they try MFP. If somebody had come up to me last year and said -- "Wow, you look like you could use MFP! " Or "MFP keeps me fit- you shoud try it." I would have ignored them at best, or been irritated and refused to listen and would've made a point of never, ever visiting MFP.

Think about how you would have reacted a year or two ago if someone told you to try MFP, or suggested you needed to work out. I doubt you would've said, "Great idea! I'll start today!"

When they are ready, they will ask you.

[I like the suggestion of putting it on facebook - because then the context is what you are doing, not what they should be/could be doing. Like eating new food off a plate with great enjoyment in front of a child, rather than shoving it under her nose and saying "you should eat this!"]
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

I only say anything if I'm asked (which I have been) and then, I focus on the nutrition and fitness aspect of it. It's not really a "diet" site...there's lots of people here who use this tool for other health and fitness goals, and I try to highlight that when people ask.
  • Thanks everyone. I just postedd it on FB. I love this thing so much! And appreciate all the tips!
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member

simple.

No, I wasn't pregnant.

^^^ this
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Thanks guys! I didn't even mean that there were specific people I want to mention it to, just that I'd like to have more of a support system of people I know on here so I thought it would be cool if more people I know joined. :-)