Cereal Help

ehmeee
ehmeee Posts: 2 Member
I have been on MFP, for a while, but this is the first time that I have gone about it the "smart" way. I have been making an effort to eat breakfast every morning, within an hour of waking up, as I read an article that said, it was beneficial.

My problem that I'm having is with what to eat in the morning, I have toast with peanut butter, and scrambled eggs with salsa. And I do love the vector cereal, which I turn to most mornings. But, I am becoming sick of it.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for cereals, that are generally healthy, and won't throw off my entire calorie count for the day.

Thanks!

Replies

• avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Special k,any flavor really but I love cinnamon pecan.120 cals a serving.It's my sweet snack at night.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    And I use almond milk.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Fiber One & MiniWheats -- you can mix in dried fruit if you get bored, or sometimes I mix cereals that I already have (Fiber one plus Cinnamon Toast Crunch; Mini Wheats plus Honey Nut Cheerios ). or I'll just buy a low-cal Kashi cereal mix. Oooh & I second the almond milk -- it's nice in cereal.
  • I really like Kellog's All Bran Complete Wheat Flakes. 2 servings is nice and filling for me and not too bad on the calories. I'll add raisins to it sometimes as well.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Fruit and yoghurt, stewed fruits, porridge, polenta
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    special k is awesome, but loaded with fructose. I like puffed brown rice 70 cal, and I use silk unsweetened almond milk. 30 cals
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    I'm a fan of Total - good for a lot of vitamins and minerals with low cals.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    I like the Special K... love the one with the chocolate chunks in it... but just bought the strawberry and the fruit and yogurt ones.. going to try those soon.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    I do homemade protein bars for breakfast. There are lots of recipes via pinterest. Mine use rolled oats, peanut butter, almond milk, brown sugar, raisins, and dark chocolate chips. Its about 378 calories for a muffin size but they work for me. Try creating something like that where you can make a ton a head of time and then just grab one and go in the mornings. I eat mine on the way to work :)
  • Kashi Go Lean Crisp- toasted berry crumble! Cereal is too high in carbs for me! :(
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    I LOOOVE Shredded Wheat. Here's how my mom made it for us when we were kids, and it was oh-so delicious!

Put 2-3 biscuits into a bowl

Briefly run HOT water over them, don't soak every last part of them, keep some spots dry.

QUICKLY drain out the water

Sprinkle a little sugar over the top of wet biscuits

pour cold milk over them.

What you get is a delightful mix of crunchy, soft, wet, dry, hot, cold, sweet and wheaty deliciousness.

...I think I need to go pick up a box, my mouth is watering.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    1 cup of bran flakes, 1/4 cup of granola and 1/2 ounce sliced almonds, topped with fat free milk. So yummy, but pretty high cal - almost 400 for a bowl. 19 grams of protein and 12 grams of fiber per bowl though.
  • I am a peanut butter and toast kind of girl as well and eat most of my cereal in the evenings.
    I like to add slices of banana to my toast and a bit of honey (my mouth is watering just thinking about it!)

I agree with the comment below about the Special K Cinnamon and Unsweetened Original Almond Milk (40 calories per cup)
    I like to get "plain" cereals (Rice Check, Bran, etc.) and add blueberries, banana's or strawberries. It keeps you fuller and satisified longer and it doesn't involve cooking.

Don't rule out oatmeal either! It's a great source of fiber and it's really easy to make you own (instant oats, almonds cranberries, apples and brown sugar, YUM)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Shredded wheat with a little milk to soften it and you can add whatever you want to flavor it afterward. It's so nommy and a good alternative.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Apples and cinnamon instant oatmeal is what I have daily, not cereal but it will break things up
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Oats and oat bran are good suggestions. Don't fall for the "steel cut oats are better" bull****. If you look at the nutritional info, they're just the same as regular oats, except they cost more. Also, Kashi makes a lot of good low-sugar cereals that you could buy, and almond milk (with no sugar added) is a great choice for any cereal. You could also get eggs, light milk, low calorie bread and sugar free syrup and make french toast, and maybe top it off with fruit. Breakfast is my fave meal, so I've got a lot of ideas. You could also make sort of an egg bake; there are plenty of recipes online for that.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Oh! You could also top your toast and peanut butter with half a sliced banana and cinnamon. That with a vanilla-coffee protein shake is one of my favorite breakfasts, especially on days I'm working out.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Special K with protein is good. I have that, or regular oatmeal with a splash of milk and frozen blueberries added to it on the days I don't have eggs and toast.
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    If you have access to Trader Joe's their Bran Flakes are very good and low cal. I like Kashi Go-Lean (not the Go-Lean Crunch - it's too caloric for me). Both have protein and fiber.