ideal weight?!

Options
does anyone have a good link to what your ideal weight should be? or maybe someone knows off hand?
pls and thanks! :smile: :wink:

btw i am 5'2 and currently 124. :indifferent:

Replies

• hcleving
    hcleving Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would go off of your BMI to get a good idea of what range you should be in. After that, it is personal preference on how you feel about your body. But at least you know you are at a healthy weight!

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Google it. There are lots of charts out there. And you are at a totally healthy weight. If you think you need to lose weight you may actually just need to build lean muscle mass.
  • Mrder37
    Mrder37 Posts: 904
    Options
    It should be less or equal to the frozen lake I'm walking on:cry:
  • cookiesrgood15
    cookiesrgood15 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    well my bmi is 22.7. says i'm in a healthy weight but i'm still looking to lose a little weight and build muscle/tone.
    thanks for your link it was helpful! ♥
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't know... for petite women frame really makes big a difference. Some charts say that at 5'1" I should weigh less...My Human Helath plan even suggested 117 was the weight I should strive to reach but I just think that's way too low for my medium frame...For someone with a small frame sure maybe that's okay. So take that into account.

Go with what you feel comfrortable with (within reason of course) if you don't like your body at 124 it is quite possible you just need to tone up. Sometimes losing weight is not the answer.
  • this_time_nextyear
    Options
    Im with the others on a tone up rather than lose weight. You can probably afford to be at the lower end of your healthy BMI but my friend got down to 120lb (shes a bit taller than you) but didnt feel comfortable until she actually put a few lb of muscle back on.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Body fat percentage is a good way to go to figure health, much better than a simple number on a scale... I've seen 200 lb. men with huge beer bellies and I've seen 250 lb. body builders and athletes with less body fat than a 100 pound teenage girl.
  • cookiesrgood15
    Options
    hmm i forgot about body frame... i'd say i have a small frame. i'm going to google weight charts but i think you all are right. i just need to tone up and build muscle.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The BMI is a fairly archaic and inaccurate indicator of your 'healthy weight'. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

I'd use body fat percentage to gauge your ideal weight, and it really depends on what kind of muscle/fat ratio you prefer for yourself. There's a few good threads here where people post their pictures, height and weight, and if you find a few who are your height you can get a good idea of where you want to be by looking at their examples.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For me neither BMI nor other height to weight charts are useful I am too skinny if I am in the normal BMI range. My goal weight will leave me in the overweight range

For me, % body fat is a much better indicator.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    i just need to tone up and build muscle.

Yes. Very much this. I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am that you are (likely) going to follow this plan of action.

:flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    well my bmi is 22.7. says i'm in a healthy weight but i'm still looking to lose a little weight and build muscle/tone.
    thanks for your link it was helpful! ♥

Don't focus on the weight loss here...focus on building muscle. The only way to "tone" is to build muscle...the only way to build muscle is to lift, and no pink dumbbells either. All the cardio in the world isn't going to give you "tone"...you have to lift and lift heavy. Contrary to popular belief, you won't "bulk"...you'll just get the body composition you're looking for.

Let the cardio take a side car for the moment and focus on lifting...it'll work, I promise.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with what everyone is saying, though I know as women we like to see that number for some odd reason. I am also the same height and trying to go by how I feel, though the number thing is always there;) I do like this site that has a bunch of charts/info just to look at: http://www.halls.md/chart/height-weight.htm
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    I think that you can *kinda* estimate if you know your body fat percentage and goal body fat percentage. For example, I'm about 215 lbs. with a BF% of around 30%, and let's say I want to initially get down to 20%.

215 * (1 - 0.3) = 151 lbs of lean body mass

151 / (1 - 0.2) = goal weight of 189 lbs

Of course, the flaw is that it assumes you have the same LBM throughout. Which I guess may be possible if you weight train? I don't know. Could probably formulate something more accurate if I had any idea how much LBM is generally lost per pound of fat.
  • cookiesrgood15
    Options
    wow i thank you all so much for the wealth of information! :glasses: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :smooched: :heart:
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If toning up and building muscle is a goal you'd like to set then I suggest not restricting calories too much, upping your percentage of protein in your preset macros, and eitehr doing weight training or body weight/resisitance exercises. I started doing boot camp style classes in August and I am MUCH happier witht he shape of my arms, hips and abs...plus I just enjoy the class environment as opposed to just going to the gym alone and lifting weights. 1 or two days a wekk with some extra cardio a couple other days and I'm in better shape than I have been in years. =)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I think it should be how you feel. When I felt the most fittest I was around 160lbs, BF less than 20%, wore a size 6, but my BMI said I was borderline overweight. Even though I'm still about 40lbs from my goal weight of 160lbs, I feel more fit now, then I did when I was a runner and triathlete.
  • Razzy43
    Razzy43 Posts: 32
    Options
    Here is a calculator I used to give me an idea http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

Kind of nice because it does give different numbers per you body frame, small, medium and large
  • cookiesrgood15
    Options
    Here is a calculator I used to give me an idea http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

Kind of nice because it does give different numbers per you body frame, small, medium and large

MY RESULTS:
    Individual Weights:
    Hamwi Based Calculations: 99 pounds for a small frame, 110 pounds for a medium frame, and 121 pounds for a large frame.
    Robinson Based Calculation: 115 pounds.
    Miller Based Calculation: 123 pounds.
    BMI Based Calculation: 125 pounds.

Average Weights:
    AVERAGE OF ALL CALCULATIONS ABOVE: 115 POUNDS.
    NORMAL RANGE BASED ON THE AVERAGE: 104 - 127 POUNDS.
    RANGE BASED STRICTLY ON BMI: 101 - 136 POUNDS.

hmm well that freaked me out! lol! for a small frame it says i should weigh 99?! that is know is WAY LOW!
    BUT that was just for the Hamwi Formula...

The Hamwi Formula:
    Dr. G.J. Hamwi's formulas have become very popular since they first appeared in a publication of the American Diabetes Association in 1964. Many of the weight calculators on the web use this formula and aside from BMI based calculations, this is probably the most popular method of calculating ideal weight. It has an advantage over most other calculation methods in that Dr. Hamwi suggests that the results may be reduced by 10% for a person with a light frame, and increased by 10% for a person with a heavy frame. Thus I provide all three numbers here. The formulas are:
    Men: 106 lb for the first 5 ft; 6 lb for each inch over 5 ft
    Women: 100 lb for the first 5 ft; 5 lb for each inch over 5 ft
  • cookiesrgood15
    Options
    oh wait just re-read that.. my ideal according to Hamwi is 110. still kinda light in my opinion.

with all the information i've read today i am going to concentrate on building muscle/tone.