Protein - can you eat too much?

Options
I almost always go over my daily allowance in protein grams. Should I try to stay at or below my goal of 56 grams?

For example, today for breakfast I had a 3 egg omelet with spinach and cheese. Then for lunch I had a spinach salad with mozzarella cheese, sunflowers seeds and dressing plus pepper steak (no added sauce). That puts me 6 grams over my protein allowance for the day.

If it doesn't really matter if I go over or not, I will just keep on keeping on because I have been losing weight. But if keeping it below my daily allowance will help me lose weight faster, I will do it. I simply want to get rid of my excess pounds and lead a healthier lifestyle.

Thanks

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    MFPs numbers for protein are really low - you probably should always go over... look at that number as more of a minimum than a max.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    form my macro breakdown..I eat about 30% of it in protein
  • speedgraphic19
    Options
    MFP's default protein goals are ridiculously low. Ignoring that, it's only "too much protein" if you're going way over your calorie goal every day because of your protein intake. Don't worry about it.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i usually eat over 100 but i work out pretty hard ..i have to drink a ton of water too , to avoid stones
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Why does this keep coming up? 60% of my daily calories come from protein, zero problems thus far. The whole 'too much protein bad for kidneys' crap has been thoroughly debunked over the last couple of decades. The only time it seems to be an issue is for people who have already suffered some form of renal failure.

1960 called and wants their topic of discussion back. ;)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I've read several articles about protein intake, and seems in most nutritionist views, a proper balanced diet is not heavy protein based. To that end, most the average fitness lifestyle folks don't need the protein supplements, though they have great marketing to say they do. I have also read too muhc protien can be bad for the body, but I don't recall the ratios.