Dried beans

Options
I have tried over and over to cook dry beans and never have success with them coming out soft.

Most recently I soaked white navy beans in water overnight and while I was at work so almost 24 hours. I then cooked them in the crockpot with plenty of liquid for over 8 hours and they are still a little crunchy on the inside. What am I doing wrong? How do you prepare your dry beans?

I always use canned because I can't get the dry bean thing to work but really want to get away from canned beans and all of the sodium, etc. plus the dry ones are cheaper. Please help!!!

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I've never had trouble with my beans, but I've read if they're really old they won't cook right. I usually soak mine overnight. The next day I change the water, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer for 2-4 hours.
  • Caguppie
    Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem sometimes, but i find with enough cooking time in the crock pot they turn out. seems like i have to soak for at least 24 hours. make sure you drain the water a couple times to get rid of some of the (lactic??) acid. (there is something undesirable).

my tip would be to cook some beans up a couple days before you need them. they keep refrigerated fro about a week. that way you can let them cook in the crock pot as long as needed to become cooked through.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm thinking the bag I used could have been old so I will purchase a new bag and try it again. If that doesn't work I might be back for more advice!
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    also do not add salt until you are done cooking the beans
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I soak them overnight with baking soda and then rinse them thoroughly. I then bring them to a boil with more baking soda and simmer for about 20-25 more minutes and rinse them thoroughly. I then add garlic, onions and any othe seasoning and cook for about an hour or so. My last batch I slightly overcooked, but they are good regardless. I will add seasoning while soaking and on the second part as well. I like to use stock throughout the whole process as the end product is so much better. I am not sure what you are doing wrong, though. Maybe use the stove and to hell with the crock pot?
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    no salt and no vinegar (acid) until they are more or less cooked. The baking soda helps to make them softer faster (but then they tend to overcook...)
    good luck!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    no salt and no vinegar (acid) until they are more or less cooked. The baking soda helps to make them softer faster (but then they tend to overcook...)
    good luck!
    The baking soda takes care of the gas....
  • jonesin_am
    Options
    Maybe my problem is that after soaking when I go to cook them I put them directly into whatever is that I am making. I don't cook them on their own first. Could that be the issue? Would make sense why I have never been able to get them to cook no matter how I tried it because I have always tried cooking them with the rest of the ingredients for what I was making.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have tried over and over to cook dry beans and never have success with them coming out soft.

Most recently I soaked white navy beans in water overnight and while I was at work so almost 24 hours. I then cooked them in the crockpot with plenty of liquid for over 8 hours and they are still a little crunchy on the inside. What am I doing wrong? How do you prepare your dry beans?

I always use canned because I can't get the dry bean thing to work but really want to get away from canned beans and all of the sodium, etc. plus the dry ones are cheaper. Please help!!!

Wow! It shouldn't take anywhere near that long. Is the water at a simmer all that time?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Maybe my problem is that after soaking when I go to cook them I put them directly into whatever is that I am making. I don't cook them on their own first. Could that be the issue? Would make sense why I have never been able to get them to cook no matter how I tried it because I have always tried cooking them with the rest of the ingredients for what I was making.

Yes, this could be the problem, especially if there isn't sufficient water in the dish.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Could be, particularly if the beans aren't the primary ingredient and/or you don't have enough water. It shouldn't be too big an issue if you're making a bean chili or something...but if the beans are a secondary ingredient, definitely could be a problem. I always cook my beans separately and then add them to whatever...unless it's a black bean chili or something where the only other ingredients are some onion, garlic, mushroom, etc...but the beans are the primary.
  • jonesin_am
    Options
    This past time I cooked them with half a ham, some burger,bbq sauce, ketchup, and a couple other things to make some Cowboy Beans.

I will have to try cooking them by themselves this weekend after soaking them tonight and will def try the baking soda option! Overcooked is better than undercooked anyday. Can't do crunchy beans, haha!