What am i doing wrong?

Options
I am 45 and I want to lose 30 lbs. I have been trying to lose this weight for years ever since I had my last child. (10 years ago) HAHA Well I did Medifast and I lost weight super fast 20 lbs in two months. it was great then as soon as i went off I tried to stick to a low calorie diet. slowly the weight crept back. I cannot get below 170 im 5'8. I am extremely active and I work out every day. I have always been thin Before i had my son i was "fat" 150. so i know what to do and how to eat but its a mess now.I have been trying to stick to a 1200 calorie diet since jan 2 and i have only lost 3.5 lbs now for what im doing i should be losing way faster. why am i not losing weight? what am i doing wrong. am i not eating enough? I mean i even gave up my wine habit, like what the heck!!!!

Replies

• Mazzela5
    Options
    It could be a lot of contributing factors. Are you working out? Do you have a hormone imbalance? I have a similar situation to yours and have never had a weight problem, but I now have an underactive thyroid and on top of that am estrogen dominent. I got some herbal supplements and have been working out consistently and watching my diet, excluding bread, dairy, soy, sugar....slow weight loss is best and I know if I keep at it the weight will come off. I know exercise is key to feeling good and losing weight along with eating a clean diet. Give it a try before getting too down on yourself and I bet if you stick with it you will start to see positive results. Good luck:)
  • carana69
    carana69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You are not doing anything wrong. I have the same problem. 6 years back, I also lost alot of weight, 60 lbs in four months, by changing my eating habits and exercise. Now that I am in my 40's, the same things that worked before, I find no longer work. After research I have found that metabolism significantly drops once 40 rolls around, and what once was enough to take off the weight has to be amped up even more. Strangely this made me feel better since I too felt I was doing something wrong. Now I have just reserved myself to the notion that it WILL eventually come off, I just have to continue to be vigilant, and have patience.
  • fitzgerald29
    Options
    Sometimes a person plateaus because their metabolism and body are used to your routine.
    I'd switch it up a bit somewhere.

Maybe take in 15OO calories 3 days out of the week, and maybe do some aerobic exercises during those days/increase in exercise during those days?
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    can i suggest you open your diary
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks you're doing great? 3.5lbs from January 2nd to today is a little over 1lb a week. I think that's a healthy weight loss pace. Anything much more drastic than that usually comes right back with a vengeance.
  • ldicianno
    ldicianno Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    sorry duh, diary open
  • DepauvilleKid
    Options
    I too thought you were doing well. A pound a week is just fine. I dropped weight much faster than that, but I'm younger, a male, and haven't had a child. Be realistic with your body and realistic with your goals. You're doing fine. I would also talk to your doctor at your next check up to see if he or she can offer some advice or give you a referral to a dietitian. I would always recommend that when a person feels like they are doing everything right, but not making gains. A person in that situation either has a misconception of what healthy eating actually is or has a unique body chemistry. Either way, your doctor or dietitian can help with both scenarios.
  • stofteland
    stofteland Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think you are where you should be for weight loss. If you are 5'8" tall. I am concerned you may not getting enough calories. What is your daily calorie goal? The 1200 doesn't sound like it is enough. I would up it to 1500 calories. Especially if you are working out a lot.

Eat balanced meals of protein, whole grain carbs and veggies. Snack on fruit and veggies in between meals with a little hummus. Where a pedometer to see how much you are really moving. A pound a week is great. Sometimes weight does not come off as you would expect. It can take a few weeks for you to notice more of a change. Do your clothes fit better? Measurements say a lot more than the scale. Get your dairy in there too. Don't give up the wine if you enjoy it. I like my wine too. :)

Your doing great!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks you're doing great? 3.5lbs from January 2nd to today is a little over 1lb a week. I think that's a healthy weight loss pace. Anything much more drastic than that usually comes right back with a vengeance.

This! One pound a week is a very realistic and maintainable loss! You are doing great! :)
  • ldicianno
    Options
    Thanks, my clothes do feel a (bit) better. ya i guess i just have to stay vigilant. in just used to the weight coming off and now it doesn't. it SUCKS. I just really want to do this for the long haul. ;)
  • ldicianno
    Options
    Ya, stupid dr told me to cut out carbs. i dont really eat that kind of crap (except wine) and the dietitian said if i want to be thin then i just have to eat salads for the rest of my life. great thanks lady!! hahah!! thanks for the poost though. :)
  • crobinson0923
    Options
    If you feel like you plateau then up your calories. I was eating 1500 cals and working out 5 days a week and was not losing anything. I upped them to 1900 and started losing again. Just find your magic number!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

^^^^This! Its not a race....its a lifetime commitment. :)
  • capriajo
    capriajo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your diary for the past few days is showing under 1,000 calories a day. If this is typical, you need to up your calorie intake or your body will hold onto fat storage since it thinks your are starving. Up your calories to atleast 1200 (probably to more like 1400) and you should start to see more progress.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    170lbs is my goal weight. at 190 everyone thought i was 160 because i was so fit .. then i screwed up and ate crap and stopped working out ... and i gained 30lbs back..im done playin now.. urks me i only had 20lbs left . maybe you have a hard time losing it because your body is fine where it is if you are fit . i have a ton of muscle on my body and am above avg muscle wise for my age group. so try not to concentrate on the weight so much as being healthy and fit
  • DepauvilleKid
    Options
    Just looking at your Food Diary, if your entry's are accurate, you are taking in too few calories. 1,200 calorie goal is fine in my opinion, but you are way under that most days. You barely eat 800 calories most days. Again, I'm NOT an expert at all, but that is too low. 1,200 calorie goal is fine, but actually try to eat that goal.

Also, you have a very low-fat diet, which is great. How about some healthy fats... mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated. Healthy fats should be a significant part of your diet.

Also, how about some healthy carbs? Whole grain, high fiber stuff. Again, carbs are a part of a healthy diet.

A piece of whole grain toast and a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter in the morning or mid-morning snack would give you healthy fats, protein, fiber, and healthy carbs. Not to mention, it will get your calories up to 1,200 where they should be.

I'm not a professional at all, just my two cents. My observation could be wrong.
  • HappyWife04
    HappyWife04 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mazzella,

I'm new here. I just logged on because I'm having a hard time dealing with my hypothyroidism diagnosis. Since I have an under active thyroid, I have some Cholesterol issues as well.

May I just ask what meal plan you're on if any? I was just diagnosed 2 days ago and have not eaten any sweets, breads, pasta's and so far I'm doing ok. My Dr. just basically told me to stay away from red meat, bad carbs (like the ones listed above) and exercise. I am just so scared of gaining more weight uncontrollably. My mom has an Over Active Thyroid and her symptoms are similar but hers can be controlled a lot easier than mine. Well at least that's what it seems like.

Sorry for the long post. :)
  • ldicianno
    Options
    thanks you guys are right im just nervous to eat so much maybe it will work. i gain wait slowly when i go off the diet and eat and drink whatever i want so you may have a point!! but i do gain so i guess i am looking for my magic #
    thanks!!!!
  • ldicianno
    Options
    south beach diet :)