Nuts

Options
I have read that nuts are good for you but how in the world do you fit them in your diet. I got some pecans today and they have 195 calories for 1 oz!!! Wow that is half a meal for me!! lol Any suggestions on what you all do?

Replies

• auttyfrmca
    auttyfrmca Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just got a mixed nut thing from planters. it's a digestive healthy mix and it has 140 calories. for 3 tablespoons I eat nuts when I'm low in my calories. Some days I don't end up eating the snacks I have planned (like an apple or banana) or all of my lunch so I don't want to be under 1200...that's when I eat nuts or if I had a really hard workout.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I seriously recommend Almonds (or Walnuts) for the cals.......the 2 are packed with Omega-3s and good fats.
    Just make certain they're organic/raw...not roasted or otherwise.

I grab them with coffee if I don't have time for a great breakfast.
    After a hard workout with yogurt....awesome.

but the best reason I can offer is that they are so extremely crunchy that my jaw aches and that settles that!:laugh:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    They make a great snack rounded out with a bit of carb works well. Or you could use it as your protein added to a salad loaded up with all sorts of healthy veggies makes a perfect meal.

Most nuts have a very good fat in them so they are a great addition to a heatlhy diet as long as the portion stays with limit.
    Becca♥
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I seriously recommend Almonds (or Walnuts) for the cals.......the 2 are packed with Omega-3s and good fats.
    Just make certain they're organic/raw...not roasted or otherwise.

I grab them with coffee if I don't have time for a great breakfast.
    After a hard workout with yogurt....awesome.

but the best reason I can offer is that they are so extremely crunchy that my jaw aches and that settles that!:laugh:
    mm Raw Almonds, once you go raw, why would anyone go back!:wink::smokin:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    They're dangerous to keep around unless you can actually only eat one serving. :laugh:

I always tell myself I can do that, but it's near impossible.... an 8 ounce container could easily be a treat gone in less than 10 minutes for me.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i love love love nuts. they ususally are my main source of protein for the day b.c the only meat i eat is at dinner and its usally only like 2 oz. i only eat an ouce of nuts at a time. its all you need to be filled up. its like 150 cals for an ounce of almonds. that's decent for a snack for me.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I buy raw almonds and eat 1/2 oz at a time as a snack. I just figure in the 85 calories as part of my eating plan. I also buy sliced almonds and toast them a little in the oven. I add these to my oatmeal or as a salad topper. I believe eating almonds everyday is part of what has kept me going. My daughter started eating them too and she agrees they seem to help balance out her blood sugar and she is less likely to snack on unhealthy foods. They are very good for you. Walnuts are too but I seem to have an allergy to them.:happy:
  • tomtrl
    tomtrl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I recently read that Pistachios are one of the best nuts to eat. Here is a quote from an article "Try snacking on a serving of pistachios. They’re one of the lowest calorie, lowest fat, highest fiber nuts. Plus, a serving of pistachios gives you 49 kernels! That’s the biggest, most satisfying serving of any nut." I also read that the fact you have to shell them (unless you buy them pre-shelled) keeps you from eating them too fast.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I buy raw almonds and eat 1/2 oz at a time as a snack. I just figure in the 85 calories as part of my eating plan. I also buy sliced almonds and toast them a little in the oven. I add these to my oatmeal or as a salad topper. I believe eating almonds everyday is part of what has kept me going. My daughter started eating them too and she agrees they seem to help balance out her blood sugar and she is less likely to snack on unhealthy foods. They are very good for you. Walnuts are too but I seem to have an allergy to them.:happy:
    I've found raw almonds help me out that way as well, I count them out (24 for a serviing, I believe) and something about them being raw I don't seem to toss in a handful like I would salted nuts. So it's raw nuts I purchase all the time now or the same thing happens that wolfena shared, they are gone way fast!:blushing:

Karen, I do the 1/2 servings as well at times, it's amazing the energy it puts out, glad your daughter got hooked on them as well:happy:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I just love nuts and peanut butter so much that I refuse to completely remove them from my diet but I definitely weigh them out and need to keep it under control. They can make a great snack, but they are calorie dense. I do find that I have many more calories leftover at the end of the day on the days I don't have peanut butter!
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I put sliced almonds on my salads for some crunch and I make sure to measure them out so that I know exactly how much I'm having. They're a lot of calories, but worth it, I think.

Also, if I eat peanut butter or almond butter (yum!), a trick I recently discovered is to use creamy vs. crunchy because with the creamy, you can spread a very thin amount on whatever you're putting it on and I find myself eating far less of it vs. if I used the crunchy...
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I recently read that Pistachios are one of the best nuts to eat. Here is a quote from an article "Try snacking on a serving of pistachios. They’re one of the lowest calorie, lowest fat, highest fiber nuts. Plus, a serving of pistachios gives you 49 kernels! That’s the biggest, most satisfying serving of any nut." I also read that the fact you have to shell them (unless you buy them pre-shelled) keeps you from eating them too fast.

Thanks for that info Tom, gonna read up more on nuts and give it a try, always looking for new things to mix it up!:drinker:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • mythicals
    mythicals Posts: 70
    Options
    I have a huge addiction to cashews. I'm trying to limit myself to a handful a day.
    Try putting one serving of nut into snack baggies and eat them as a healthy snack whenever you have extra calories leftover.
  • lovmykids
    lovmykids Posts: 51
    Options
    Thank you all for all the great info!!:smile:
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    They're dangerous to keep around unless you can actually only eat one serving. :laugh:

I always tell myself I can do that, but it's near impossible.... an 8 ounce container could easily be a treat gone in less than 10 minutes for me.

I'm with you! I don't keep them in my house but when I order mixed salads from the deli I'll get some on there because I know it's no more than a tblsp
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I'm amazed and really grateful that when I found raw nuts that were unsalted and unroasted they go great with raisons or dried apricots but never gave me the urge to eat the whole jar/can anymore. VICTORY:drinker: :tongue:

I think for me it's the added sugar salt in the regular cans and jars. It seems dry roasted peanuts have a sweetness to them, or at least to me now that I don't eat much sugar, anyone else notice that? I can't recall the carb content right off but was surprised to see carbs in it.

So salted nuts of any kind, danger danger Will Rogers!! :laugh: :ohwell: Especially since nuts that aren't raw sadly lose so much of their nutrients while being processed in oils.

Raw nuts are always counted/measured out depending on the type of nut. Bought some more almonds tonight and also some raw cashews (mm).:tongue:

What other raw nuts have some of you tried?

Becca♥ WOW, I think I'm seriously tired, I've now had to edit this 4 times to just have it make sense. Hope it makes sense in the am:blushing: