2 Week Hump

Options
Okay so I started about 13 Days ago... I was super excited and have been tracking my daily intake coming up about 300 calories shy of my goal daily. It just seems I haven't noticed anything. My energy levels have risen, but thats about it.
I know I'm still fairly new to all of this, But its like it always is with starting something... The 2 weeks into it, i give up and feel like I'm not going to be successful and just get depressed and let little snacks comfort me... Am I the only one who is struggleing or has struggled so soon...

Replies

• jrhodo
    jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You are reading my mind. Two weeks ago I bought a new scale, way more accurate. Since then I have lost 1 lb, if that. I have averaged 1200 cals/day including exercise! In the last 10 days I have weighed more!!!
    I am so very frustrated.
  • elgurrola1
    Options
    Me Too, I feel like... "WHATS THE POINT" then someone at work told me today "How long did it take to get to the weight you are?" I responded "A few years" they said... "well it won't take you that long to lose, but it won't happen over night" So here i am on week 3 and tracking my intake... I will keep going. I have to:)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Focus on becoming healthy. Everything else will happen in time.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Maybe the focus should be on health and fitness, rather than just the number on the scale.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Boom: You have a positive. Your energy levels are up. Try hanging on to that feeling (don't stop believing). You have more energy now than you did two weeks ago... why would you want to go back? The weight and inches (try measuring; most people new to weight loss focus too much on the scale and not enough on the inches that move differently than the number on the scale) will come off.

Also: Disappointed that this topic wasn't what I thought it'd be about.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

It wasn't just me, then. Cool.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Only reason I'm here.

Well played, OP. Well. Played.

But seriously, OP, stick with it. It takes time to set the habit. Alternatively, if you routinely find that you can't stick with it, reevaluate your expectations. It could be that you're setting too high of a deficit. Remember, it isn't a sprint to the finish.

ETA: I just reread your post and noticed that you're missing your daily target by 300 calories. Assuming you set it up the way MFP does it automatically, there's already a deficit built into that target calorie number. Go ahead and enjoy those additional calories each day and see if it isn't easier to stick with it beyond two weeks. My guess is that it will be.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options

It wasn't just me, then. Cool.

Same :(
  • lumstead0317
    lumstead0317 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    don't eat 300 under your calorie limit... don't eat under your calorie limit... you're putting yourselves into starvation mode... eat back your workout calories too... eating is not your enemy.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have not read a success story yet which concluded n 2 weeks, you need to stick with us and keep smiling! Good luck x
  • Kgarcia1981
    Kgarcia1981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No! This is common. I am at my two wek mark too. I haven't noticed or lost any weight yet but I know that if I continue down this path it will happen. You have to put in your mind that you are making a life style change not dieting, You want to make this a long term lifestyle so that you build healthier eating habits and take care of your body more. Let me ask you a question, have you been excercising?
  • elgurrola1
    Options
    To Be 100% honest, I'm too scared to get on the scale... I just guessed my starting weight and pray to God that when I actually weigh in, in a month. I'm lower... I'm scared of that like you can't imagine.
  • elgurrola1
    Options
    Yes, I walk around my work building 8 times a day if I can, thats about a mile... then I do cardio one time a week for about 40 min...
  • elgurrola1
    Options
    Thanks, That 2 week ending is true.. Doesn't seem like much if you look at it as two weeks... Makes me think I CAN DO THIS, Take it one day at a time and little by little it will happen. ;)
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Take all your measurements when you start, so you can see progress. I haven't seen the scale move hardly at all, but have lost roughly 2 inches off my chest, waist, and hips, and lost an inch on my calves and biceps. The scale has moved about 2 pounds, that's it. And make sure you eat enough, lots of people find out they need to eat more than the 1200 calorie default, especially if you are exercising. Good luck to you. And take measurements!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Set fitness and nutrition goals, instead of checking the scales!

I suggest you first goal be to eat all of your daily calories.
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was on 1200 but increased this to 1300 as I was more peckish. And I've ate this amount almost for 3 weeks (few days over) done bits of exercise and lost 2lb a week = 6lb total so far.

Not rubbing it In. But I found eating the calories given. Even of u just have some fruit juice or extra fruit etc i reckon it will help

Laura xx
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    To Be 100% honest, I'm too scared to get on the scale... I just guessed my starting weight and pray to God that when I actually weigh in, in a month. I'm lower... I'm scared of that like you can't imagine.

i did the exact same thing. but then took the plunge and weighed myself. i was heavier than my guessed weight and it shocked me . but the shock has motivated me into exercising and trying to eat better
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You can do it lovely :)

Important thing I found was not relying on the scales alone, measurements are vital when losing weight. I had a period where i lost no weight at all but my clothes were looser. So on recommendation of a friend I measured and what do you know, I was still losing inches.

Also if you are experiencing a plateau, give yourself a day where you up your calories, I have a day once a week where I go up to around 2000 to 2200 and that kick starts my metabolism.

Never give up!