Eat more calories or eat less calories??

Options
Hi,

I'm on week three. I've lost 4 pounds so far and am feeling great.

For the past two years, I have been drinking too much alcohol and that's where my extra calories and weight gain have mainly been coming from.I am now on 1200 calories a day. I am 5'2. I go to the gym a few times a week and am looking to up the exercise going forward.

The problem that I am having is that, now that I am drinking less, I am having to eat more food to get my calories to 1200 (I have been logging religiously), but i'm not used of all the food as I didn't eat that much before. Sounds ridiculous I know.. but I am genuinely not hungry after eating all my meals, and I certainly don't feel that I am in a starvation mode.

So, if I continue not eating 1200 every day minimum and if I don't eat back my exercise calories, will my weight plateau?

I'm determined to lose my weight, I just don't want to be doing it wrong.

Help

Replies

• m444nda
    Options
    Hi!

I joined MFP to eat healthier and feel better with more energy! I have been recommended 1200 calories also and I'm just not able to eat that many calories without looking at chocolate bars or cakes! And I never feel hungry after meals, as you say. I have been recording my food intake also and noticing I'm always over on my sugars but never enough calories. Looking around this forum it sounds like very little weight loss will occur if you don't eat at least 1200 calories.
    I am at a standstill myself so if you have any advice please let me know!
    Good luck in your weight loss and well done for the 4lbs so far!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    you can eat real healthy foods that are not high cal
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    Hi there!

If you don't eat the amount of calories you are suppose to then your body will think you are starving. This will cause you to not lose any weight. Even if your not hungry try snacking like peanut butter crackers or nuts. Good Luck!
  • Swany2
    Swany2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Congrats on the weight loss. Its week 2 for me.

I was a bit like you, my weight has crept up over the past two years through alcohol and the fact that my new partner and I love to cook.

My problem is i am 5ft 4' weigh 220lbs looking to get down to 154lbs. MFP has only given me 1290 cals per day and for me it doesn't seem enough.

I've never been a big eater, in fact my partner tells me off for not eating breakfast, lunch or fruit but now i'm eating i'm not sure I have enough calories.

Feel free to add me if you like xx
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

If you don't eat the amount of calories you are suppose to then your body will think you are starving. This will cause you to not lose any weight. Even if your not hungry try snacking like peanut butter crackers or nuts. Good Luck!

Please quote scientific sources for this - and specify how fast your body will enter "starvation mode", under what conditions, and how much you have to undereat to create this condition and for how may days, months, or years.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You will not go into "starvation mode" at 1200 calories per day. Starvation mode is a term the food and supplement industry use to scare us, (the consumer) to purchase more of their products. If you are not hungry, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO EAT! This idea that we can snack our way to weight loss is nonsense. Do not worry about muscle loss either. As long as you do resistance training a few times per week your muscle will be fine.

Best of luck!
    Joe