underactive thyroid!!!!

Options
Just curious if anyone else is struggling to lose weight with an underactive thryoid. If so, other then taking medicine what have you done to help with the weight loss?

Replies

• kerriotto
    Options
    I'm not familiar with under active thyroid, as such but there are a number of things you can do to increase your metabolism.
    You can weight train or eat smaller meals more often. I've heard that Bikram yoga helps stimulate the thyroid, too.
  • sharonmac
    sharonmac Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks for the advise. I have been wanting to try yoga. Maybe I will give it a try. Thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I take Synthroid, but I was already losing very well with the Alternate Day diet before I was even diagnosed with Thyroid Disease. It's not for everyone, but I've lost over 100 pounds despite my hypothyroidism.
  • sharonmac
    sharonmac Posts: 119
    Options
    Wow! you have lost 100 lb on my fitness pal? I get discouraged fairly easy and just want results over night. UGGHHHH
  • aedlife
    aedlife Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been working to lose weight forever. I have hypothyroidism, and hishimotos. I have recently had a loss...finally!!!, and I lowered my cholesterol. I have been having a shake for breakfast every morning with 1/4 c blueberries, 1 c. fez. strawberries, 1 c. coconut milk, 2 tbsp. flax seed, 1 scoop soy protein powder. I had that everyday for 15 days for breakfast. I also loaded on on fruits, veggies, salads, and nuts. I have always ranged between 2.3-6.5 with my TSH. I just did my blood work last week...I go every 6 weeks b/c of hishimotos...and my TSH was .55. I am also measuring everything I eat and on week 3 of Insanity. So, my results, in the last 23 days I have lost 6 pounds! This is the most weight I have lost consecutively. I think the measuring, and daily exercising are the reasons why I am finallynsuccessul! Feel free tonfriend me and I'll do my best to support you and work with you! The hypothyroidism is very frustrating, but with a good support system it can happen. Last year on MFP I only lost 10 pounds, so I know the struggle of living with this and losing weight. The main thing is to keep the numbers going down...that's a good day!
  • SpiffySilpion
    Options
    I was finally diagnosed as uber hyperthyroid back in 2007 and in December of the next year had to have my thyroid gland removed because things just weren’t improving with medication alone. I have been on synthroid ever since and have been slowly gaining weight throughout the past several years.

I tried working out at Curves for a few years, but never really saw any results. Happily, with MFP and the caloric restriction it set for me (my current limit is 1420), I’m actually starting to lose weight. Haven’t added exercise into my routine yet but will, I promise! I figured I would do that once I plateau with just the dieting. *shrug*

It seems like most people on here that I’ve read who discuss thyroid problems are hypothyroid. Are there any other hyperthyroid folks out there?
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Spiffy I'm confused. If you had your thyroid removed and you're now on Synthroid, you should no longer be hyper, unless your dosage is not optimized. I'm pretty sure they only give Synthroid for hypo patients, which you would be since you don't have a thyroid to produce thyroid hormones anymore.

I'm fairly newly diagnosed, so I could be wrong. Just trying to figure it out.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I thougt this said "unattractive thyroid." I thought this was a thread I could get behind....

As for you, OP, if you are taking meds to regulate your thyroid, you can lose weight just as well as anyone else.
  • maryloucash1961
    Options
    I been with an underactive thyroid (hypo-thyroid) for 40 years.. I was diagnosed at the age of 11//. I am on levothroxin regular blood test to be sure I ma regulated. I find that eating often helps alot. plus get moving anything will help.. the heart and body need the extra movement to help along the hormone in yout thyroid.. hope thi helps
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    in December of the next year had to have my thyroid gland removed

You should not have any issues other than your med not being at the correct amount. Anything other than this is a pure excuse.

As for HYPO, take the med or work harder. easy as that
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Get your medicine levels worked out, make sure you're not blocking the absorption of your meds with dietary mistakes (dairy, high fiber with meds, etc.). Make sure you're getting sufficient iodine (could be an issue if you've reduced salt in your diet), eat saturated fat, be reasonable about carbohydrates, minimize soy and other goitrogens, exercise everyday.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I thougt this said "unattractive thyroid." I thought this was a thread I could get behind....

As for you, OP, if you are taking meds to regulate your thyroid, you can lose weight just as well as anyone else.

How dare you, it's an organ shaped like a BUTTERFLY. Probably the most attractive organ...

That being said... OP, don't listen to the yoga comment. If you have been diagnosed with hypo or hyperthyroidism, unfortunately medical intervention is needed. You can read about goitrogens all day, but the condition is something that needs some form of medication or therapy to help.

That being said, ARE you on any medication? How underactive is your thyroid? As 1CG said, if you're being treated and regulated, you're as good to go as anyone. Granted, the norms have changed in the last several years, then changed back, so that can be confusing for you (and for endos, frankly). A good endo will help treat you by symptoms, as well, as once you have the condition, sometimes being in the "norm" isn't as good as being "optimum" in the norm, meaning you could need a change in either medication or dose.

I always recommend to "poopy thyroid" people: lift weights. There's significant research that shows that lifting weights helps stabilize hormones, T3 and calcitonin being two of them. Plus, lifting heightens the metabolism, helps facilitate body fat loss, strengthens your bones (many thyroid meds can contribute to bone thinning at high dosages), and helps with overall body recomposition, helping trim inches off faster than not lifting alone. I swear by lifting; it really changed my life.

"It sucks to have thyroid issues and lose weight" Club Member
    Dealt with Hypothyroidism, Hypothyroidism with Hyper Manifestations, Thyroidtoxicosis, and Adrenal Fatigue (Possibly also with adrenal insufficiency)
    Been without a thyroid for 10 years
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    7/5/2005 - I had total thyroidectomy - 8 years later and I'm about 100lbs heavier than I ever was when I had a thyroid that was jacked up and not working right haha.

Unfortunately I've found - in the 2 weeks I've been on MFP showing serious dedication to counting cals and some LIGHT very light movement on occasion - that I have lost 5lbs...so....this means one thing for me:
    NO MORE EXCUSES

dangit! haha.

When I 1st got on the highest dose of levothyroxin the weight was FALLING OFF I'm thinking man can't i stay at this level....sadly, no. When I'm at a "normal/good" hormone level - then the weight....stays. Again, sadly, putting the ball in my court. No magic pill lol.

So you can definately add me and I'll cuss and witch it out with ya (dang stupid lack of/not working thyroid lol) but far as I'm seeing 2 weeks in and steadily losing. (course - i may sing a different tune next month who knows lol)

I'm still eating cheetos, and doritos - BUT i'm eating smaller portions than before, and I'm balancing it out with AWESOME baby spinach on my sandwiches, more fruit, cleaner meats, etc. In other words "doing what I'm suppose to". It's hard but I find it can be done for me personally. :)

Have a great night!
  • firstsip
    Options
    in December of the next year had to have my thyroid gland removed

You should not have any issues other than your med not being at the correct amount. Anything other than this is a pure excuse.

As for HYPO, take the med or work harder. easy as that

Oh, do you not have a thyroid?

When you get the organ removed, it's not as easy as it seems to just "take the med." Not all thyroid meds work with everyone, and without a thyroid, you don't have anything to rely on. Many people without thyroids have much better luck with Synthroid PLUS Cytomel, or Levothyroxine, or Armour, or even compounded T3T4. Without a thyroid, the rest of your endocrine system immediately starts working to compensate for too little or too much thyroid hormone; it's very possible cortisol's playing a role here without her knowing it. As always in thyroid threads, it'd be helpful to know bloodwork.

I get just as angry seeing people say, "I eat 3000 calories of Taco Bell everyday; I think I have underactive thyroid" or "I'm hypothyroid and feel so tired I can't exercise... now I can't lose weight." But thyroid IS a very complex issue and is not super easily fixed for everyone. We're in the "guinea pig" stage of thyroid medicine; we still don't even know WHAT T1 and T2 do, let alone how important RT3 REALLY is in optimum thyroid function.

It's not as black and white as you say; it'd make it much easier for most of us.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone else is struggling to lose weight with an underactive thryoid. If so, other then taking medicine what have you done to help with the weight loss?

I am taking two meds to regulate my hypothyroidism (one to regulate the TSH and the other to regulate T3). I didn't gain much weight when my thyroid started to give me problems because my doctor and I detected the problem very early, and she started me on medication right away; and I was lucky that my deficiency was not very big so my doctor put me in a very low dose. I had blood work done every three months at the beginning to find the optimal dose and treatment.

I didn't do anything different to lose weight but I admit I didn't have much to lose so it must be different for other people. I just followed a calorie deficient diet (MFP helped a lot), and I exercised and still do, 5 to 6 days a week. I have been on maintenance for almost 2 years.

Make sure that you take your meds early in the morning before breakfast and that you don’t eat anything for a minimum of half an hour to allow the proper absorption into your system. It is also recommended not have any calcium supplements or any antacids for 4 hours, at least, after taking thyroid meds. I take my calcium and vitamin D at night.

Be aware that changes in temperature (fall and winter); also affect the thyroid, so TSH and T3 values may be altered during the cold weather season. I am attaching a link that may help you to understand this problem better. (http://www.wellnessresources.com/weight_tips/articles/body_temperature_and_thyroid_problems/)

Let your medication work, exercise, and have a positive attitude. Don’t expect to lose weight overnight; after all, none of us put the extra lbs in few days. Above all, don’t let a sluggish, deficient or non existing thyroid be an excuse for the extra weight.

Be determined and consistent and the weight will come off. Don’t forget to exercise! :flowerforyou:
  • 52in13
    52in13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I take synthroid (which I am told by my doctor is one of the most natural and healthiest things to take). I struggled for about a year and a half to lose weight, but with no luck. Now, I have cut back on my carbs (no bread, pasta, or potatoes; but I still eat crackers, tortillas, chips) and with the synthroid, I have lost 6 lbs in just 3 weeks. Hoping to keep it up!
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    First, join this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

They have some good information and some bad information but definitely a lot of support. I've been riding this Hypothyroid train for 9 years and it's no fun (without medications my levels are over 300). Like FirstSip said, it's not just about being in the "normal" range, it's about being in the "optimal" range for you. There's nothing worse than going to a doctor because your symptoms are so bad you can't handle it anymore, just to have them tell you that your blood work looks fine so it must just all be in your head.

My advice, take your medicines as prescribed but if you still feel like crap, go back to your doctor and fight for a change. I finally got my doctor to lower my Synthroid and add Cytomel and have lost 14 lbs since Thanksgiving after gaining weight no matter what I did for months. Remember, just because your levels get back to normal doesn't mean that everything is going to work normally. You'll have to work twice as hard as your not hypo friends to get the same results, but they're worth it!
  • firstsip
    Options
    First, join this group:

They have some good information and some bad information but definitely a lot of support. I've been riding this Hypothyroid train for 9 years and it's no fun (without medications my levels are over 300). Like FirstSip said, it's not just about being in the "normal" range, it's about being in the "optimal" range for you. There's nothing worse than going to a doctor because your symptoms are so bad you can't handle it anymore, just to have them tell you that your blood work looks fine so it must just all be in your head.

My advice, take your medicines as prescribed but if you still feel like crap, go back to your doctor and fight for a change. I finally got my doctor to lower my Synthroid and add Cytomel and have lost 14 lbs since Thanksgiving after gaining weight no matter what I did for months. Remember, just because your levels get back to normal doesn't mean that everything is going to work normally. You'll have to work twice as hard as your not hypo friends to get the same results, but they're worth it!

Yes, and thyroid medications have longer half-lifes (generally up to two weeks long), plus it takes long for the body to adjust to a new dose, and even longer for the brain to pick it up (clarity: Bloodwork can pick up normal results before your body actually follows suit), all resulting in a usually 3-6 month process before a new "level" is working for you. Patience.

I'd add, too, to prevent OP from getting discouraged: It's not twice as hard to get the same results... it just takes twice as long. You don't have to starve and bust your balls more, just learn to develop more patience ;)
  • toni119922
    toni119922 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First, join this group:

My mom switched to the same combination, and she started losing weight. Sadly I've been doing the combination for over half a year, and I'm still struggling to lose weight. I'm still trying to find a good plan to lose 15lbs, but I exercise everyday and eat pretty healthy, plus take my meds which is all I can do for now.
  • SpiffySilpion
    Options
    Spiffy I'm confused. If you had your thyroid removed and you're now on Synthroid, you should no longer be hyper, unless your dosage is not optimized. I'm pretty sure they only give Synthroid for hypo patients, which you would be since you don't have a thyroid to produce thyroid hormones anymore.

I'm fairly newly diagnosed, so I could be wrong. Just trying to figure it out.

*shrug* None of my doctors (it was my OBGYN who discovered that I was most likely having thyroid problems, and I've had three Endocrinologists over the past 5 years) have used the word hypOthyroid to describe my situation ever, even after the surgery. I have never been told that I'll ever be able to stop the medication (which makes sense to me since I no longer have my thyroid gland), which has been adjusted a few times but not for a good long while. I don't know, what do you think?