hips hurt, after runs and walks help!

Options
My baby is now 17 months old. Pre baby I would. Jog 3 to 5 miles, 5 days a week. Since having my son, every time I start to walk and running my hips hurt. Both sides. Very tight when I begin and sore for several days.

This has led me to stop working out in the past.

I have new shoes...so that is not the problem.

I have never had an issue pre baby...

Anyone have any experience with this?

Replies

• notthatthis
    Options
    A friend of mine had similar to yourself. They went to an oesteopath and he reckoned (not that he can diagnose) that it was a pelvic floor issue as a result of the pregnancy some three years earlier. I am sure there are hundreds of possibilities and therefore recommend a visit to your GP.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Giving birth permanently changes your hips/pelvic floor. A visit to your doctor is the best, you may just need some stretches/exercises that can strengthen the muscles that have been stretched and joints that have moved or it may be signs of something else. I definitely have hip and low back issues that I blame on my 2 kids (lovingly, of course!) and mine is really just not taking care to keep my muscles stretched properly with a bit of bad genetics thrown in - if I make it to 80 I'll be lucky if I'm not walking around with replaced hips, knees or both!!
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have this problem after completing C25K but have never been pregnant. I have found the following link to be helpful in stretching all of the muscles connected to the hip. I am still getting hip pain after runs but I am definitely feeling relief from doing this and have just started. Not sure if it will help you but it's worth a shot.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1578
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    When we are overweight it puts extra strain on our hips and hip flexors. When I first started jogging I was 300+ lbs. That was the first place I had soreness/pain. The more I jogged and conditioned my body to it, it got better. Also, as I lose weight it's easier than it was, the 40 lbs made a difference. I notice when I take too many days between jogs it is worse. Even if those days I do other forms of exercises, too many days without running makes my first day back at it very difficult. I try not to miss more than 2 days at a time. And try some hip-opening exercises. That may help. I agree with seeing a doctor.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had a chiropractic adjustment? When I first started walking/jogging on the treadmill, my lower back and hips burned so bad every time I walked on the treadmill. I had several adjustments, and with time it went away.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Yes I have. Chances are it will be your hip flexors. Google and look at YouTube for ways to stretch them before and after. Also try icing them afterwards. Or if you want guaranteed relief, have a cold bath, which is effectively icing all of your bottom half.
  • Faulkners407
    Faulkners407 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links and advice, I will try stretching and icing before going to doctor. I know a chiropractor would prob help too. Just did not think of it. Thanks!
  • OhFitness
    OhFitness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm all for the Chiropractor aligning you up lol. That noise sounds horrible when they stretch me out, but I feel so good afterwards lol
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm all for the Chiropractor aligning you up lol. That noise sounds horrible when they stretch me out, but I feel so good afterwards lol

I just went and saw mine this afternoon :heart: it had been 3 months since I saw him last, and he actually couldn't find much to adjust!