Protein

Does anyone else find that they are going over on the protein? I didn't know that protein was in so much of the food I was eating! Perhaps that is why I am here!!! Hahahahaha! I had no idea there was like 6 g of protien in 2 pieces of whole wheat bread. Who knew?

Replies

• jschuett12
    jschuett12 Posts: 15 Member
    I actually find that mfp suggests low for their protein ranges. My RD said for my calorie range (1600) I need about 90-120g protein and mfp suggested waaaay less so I went in and edited it. Depending on your activity level, your body may do well with upping the protein, especially after working out when your body needs it to rebuild the muscles.
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    protein is GOOD for you and helps keep you satisfied.. Good Healthy Protein doesn't make you heavy.. it's ok to go over.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    I actually find that mfp suggests low for their protein ranges. My RD said for my calorie range (1600) I need about 90-120g protein and mfp suggested waaaay less so I went in and edited it. Depending on your activity level, your body may do well with upping the protein, especially after working out when your body needs it to rebuild the muscles.

^^ this. I eat from 110-140 g of protein a day. Protein alone won't make someone fat. Consuming more calories than they burn makes people fat.
  • Protein is worth far less in calories than fat and carbs, you can lose weight on a very high protein/low fat and carb diet.

Also cottage cheese is a godsend, live off it.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    The MFP goals for protein are very low. I recently adjusedt mine to 1g per 1lb of lean body mass and am having a heck of a time getting enough in.
  • jujulamb
    jujulamb Posts: 195
    I dont remember where I read this but the article said to eat your goal weight in protein, if you want to weigh 130 eat 130 grams of protein a day..
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Protein is worth far less in calories than fat and carbs, you can lose weight on a very high protein/low fat and carb diet.

Also cottage cheese is a godsend, live off it.

Per gram, protein and carbs have the same amount of calories.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    High protein is a life-saver for me. High carb is a death wish for me. Carbs make me sick, especially if they are flour, sugar, breads, etc. Protein keeps me satisfied. I try to get at least 100g/day. I actually get about 70g/day. I need to work on that!
  • 1.5gram per ilb of body weight
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member

Your body does not need the recommended amount. No one needs even .8-1 gram per lb of lean body mass. .5-.8 is fine even for the hardcore lifters. At least that is what my friends and I have experienced. The rest is excreted anyway