Craving Salt?

I don't mean salty foods. I walked into the break room at work today and while talking to a coworker, absent mindedly picked up a packet of salt and started eating it. I've never done this. My coworker said it had something to do with low adrenals? Can someone break this down in simple terms?

Replies

• arizonahiker
    arizonahiker Posts: 40 Member
    I spoke to my dietician at work about a similiar problem. When I was doing an hour of cardio a day and lifting for about 45 minutes I began drinking pickle juice (I know its a gross thought) and I would really crave the stuff. They attributed it to the fact I was sweating out a big portion of my bodys sodium and therefore my body was craving it. I solved the problem by adding a sodium replacement product to my protein drink.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Interesting, I just joined a gym and increased my exercise by quite a bit.
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    when i first started back eating healthy and mostly fresh fruits and vegetables, i had the most unreal craving for salt...to the point i would shake the salt shaker in my mouth...(btw, i've drank pickle juice for years!)...since my system has regulated itself, i don't crave the salt anymore...tried the salt shaker today and it was nasty...
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I have heard the same thing. My understanding is that we often lack many of the minerals found in salt. However be aware that table salt rarely has those minerals in them, you need to find some of the mineral salts to get the minerals your body is craving. I keep some in the cupboard personally.