Heart Rate Question

drp121274
drp121274 Posts: 34 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I am out of shape, that I know... but I don't know what my heart rate should be to burn fat? I know the machine says 125 or something, but hell, I hit that in 2 minutes, and then I have to go at a snail pace to stay at that heart rate. My resting heart rate in in the low 90's (which is high, but it has been that way for years).... so to burn fat, what is my actual goal? And what is the difference in fat burning and cardio workouts (as far as heartrate is concerned)? Am I not losing weight because I am doing cardio workouts rather than fat burning workouts (I use the treadmill, elliptical, and bike).... HELP :)

NOTE: I am 35 yrs old, 5'3", 181 pds... thanks :)

Replies

• Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Take 220 and subtract your age. Your heart rate to burn fat is 65 percent of that number. Just learned that yesterday from a personal trainer.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Take 220 and subtract your age. Your heart rate to burn fat is 65 percent of that number. Just learned that yesterday from a personal trainer.

I hope you didn't have to pay for that "advice".
  • ranibauer
    ranibauer Posts: 73
    My resting heartrate is in the 70's and when I workout I shoot between 155-170. 170 is working really hard. It is said that you should try to work out at a pace where you can talk, but not too comfortably. If you can talk easily then you are working out too easy.
  • ericl
    ericl Posts: 2
    Danielle, the machine telling you 125 is your target heart rate for burning fat is pretty much what you'll find anywhere else - if you google 'target fat burning heart rate', you'll find that to be the general consensus. 30 minute/day at your fat burning target will make a difference, no matter how slow and boring it seems to be - try it for a month. Good luck!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    No...........I didn't have to pay for that advice. Why are people so damn snipey on here. If you don't want to help someone, then don't say anything at all....................that is what MYSPACE is for .......bored people! I'm sorry Danielle, but people like that just piss me off.
  • drp121274
    drp121274 Posts: 34 Member
    I just didn't know if ur resting heart rate matters in finding your fat burning target heart rate? If so, my target heart rate might be different than say someone whose resting heart rate is 70...
This discussion has been closed.