Planet Fitness

Options
2»

Replies

• slashkiss
    slashkiss Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wait ... what is wrong with Pizza and Bagels?!

I go to PF mainly because they are the cheapest gym in town and have locations that are close to my home and work. I am a working mother and convienence is most important when it comes to a gym. They have plenty of machines and weights so I am able to get a good workout in everyday. They are open 24 hours during the week so I can work out when I have the time. Some of the gyms get a bit busy in the evenings from January - March but that dies down once people forget about their resolutions. Even when they are "busy" I can always find an elliptical or treatmill and never seem to have to wait for any of the weight machines. Overall ... for $20 a month I feel like I am getting my money's worth.

As for the pizza, bagels and tootsie rolls ... I think they are trying to show people that they don't have to give up their "favorite foods" just to be healthier. A tootsie roll is less than 25 calories and is a nice sweet treat after working out for 1-2 hours. I ate a frozen pizza for dinner last night because I was absolutely craving one and I didn't manage to go over my goal calories for the day. PF is promoting a healthier lifestyle change for "normal" people and let's be honest for most people pizza, bagels and tootsie rolls are still going to be a part of their life from time to time. I don't see how a once a month pizza party where someone works out and then eats a slice is somehow promoting an unhealthy lifestyle. I guess I just just view it differently that PF is trying to help people realize they can still enjoy all those horrible bad but tasty foods in moderation and in conjunction with a more active lifestyle.

/my 2 cents
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I've been a "regular" Planet Fitness member for years. I pay the $10 a month. Love it. It has everything I need, is in a good location and the hours work for me. January and February are brutal as all the "resolutionists" are there so it can be pretty crowded. But history has shown that by late Feb, early March they will have given up and gone home. Like any gym, it has its moments. But for the most part, its just regular people (no lunks as they call them) wanting to get healthy and wlling to work at it.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options

I have NEVER seen pizza and yes it is a no lunk zone. It is perfect for me and being so negative is not nice.

Agreed. I've never seen the Pizza or Bagels at my gym. Maybe it's because I'm not there at the times they have it, but I don't care.

No one ever said that if it's there, you have to eat it. Willpower people. Willpower.

I find that PF has all of the things I need. Treadmills, bikes, dumbells, and a good amount of machines.

If its convenient for you, then its worth it. The best gym membership is the one that you will actually use.

I guess you are not going to be able to become a champion power lifter at PF, but it works for me.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    But you were just judgmental against "big beefy men," or "lunks" as PF calls them. I can honestly tell, from working out in gyms ranging from Golds and LA Fitness, to World Gym where all the WCW wrestlers and pro/semi-pro bodybuilders worked out, to my current gym which is geared towards body builders and power lifters, the guys in there lifting heavy weights aren't judging you. They're not looking down on you. They just want to workout.

PF has created this paranoia that physically fit people automatically judge non-physically fit people. That's typically not the case (there is always one idiot out there) and your fellow PF members are probably judging you more so, because they may be more insecure with their bodies. Heck, I've done a deadlift workout next to a power lifter who asked to borrow my plates when I was done. Just like bowling, we took turns, and he actually helped me with my form. He didn't judge that I was lifting 200lbs less than him.

Who's being judgemental? I'm just saying - just because it doesn't fit your needs doesn't mean it's a joke. I've also belonged to several gyms in my lifetime due to moving around and price fluctuations and while some excelled in areas where others didn't none were a joke - except the Gold's gym that was supposed to open, never did, but took everyone's money - that was a bad joke. Different strokes for different folks. It may not fit you, but certainly fits others. I don't attend PF VS another gym because I am afraid more fit people will judge me. Those are big assumptions. I go for price and convenience. I have been to other gyms with the heavy lifters - the body builders - and they were awesome and helpful!

I get what you are saying... but it hardly applies to everyone.

I don't care where or how you work out - just work out. Like you, I just want to work out. I don't care about the presence or lack of pizza, bagels, etc. My needs are just different than yours is all. Some people are super fit and never even step foot in a gym. Whatever works.
  • caitmarshhh
    caitmarshhh Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    But you were just judgmental against "big beefy men," or "lunks" as PF calls them. I can honestly tell, from working out in gyms ranging from Golds and LA Fitness, to World Gym where all the WCW wrestlers and pro/semi-pro bodybuilders worked out, to my current gym which is geared towards body builders and power lifters, the guys in there lifting heavy weights aren't judging you. They're not looking down on you. They just want to workout.

PF has created this paranoia that physically fit people automatically judge non-physically fit people. That's typically not the case (there is always one idiot out there) and your fellow PF members are probably judging you more so, because they may be more insecure with their bodies. Heck, I've done a deadlift workout next to a power lifter who asked to borrow my plates when I was done. Just like bowling, we took turns, and he actually helped me with my form. He didn't judge that I was lifting 200lbs less than him.

I don't think I was judging them - more so describing. But I think many people would be more intimidated going to a gym geared towards bodybuilders than going to a gym such as Planet Fitness. Their "no judgement zone" emphasis is just a marketing approach. It helps make people feel more accepted and comfortable.

But anyways, I'm not saying Planet is the best gym in the world, it just works for me. Everyone should find someplace where they are given the tools they need to reach their goals and feel comfortable.
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I don't care what type of people go to what gym (expect for people who don't clean up their weights or sit around and do nothing), so the fact that "bodybuilders" can't go or whatever is not a selling point for me. I'm military and need to drop baby weight, so when I work out, I work out hard. I do weight 5X a week and cardio at least 3X. The main things I care about is decent cardio equip, dumbells, cables, and a few benches for my DB.

I can work out for free (as I mentioned earlier) at the base gym, but it's always too crowded when I try to go.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If your workout doesn't include any of their "banned lifts" (I believe this varies franchise to franchise) then it can work well.
  • jennabugg0930
    Options
    I LOVE planet fitness! Yes they do the Pizza and Bagels ONCE a month but who cares? Just don't eat it. The atmosphere is wonderful. The staff are always so nice and friendly. There is a wide range of people that go. It is appealing to Young, Old, Big, Small....It really doesnt matter. It definitely favors Cardio over weight training. But it has tons of Circuit machines. I love the 30min circuit because it's both Cardio AND weights. Each location is different of course but I have been a member for a couple years now and have been to 2 local locations and I've enjoyed both places. When I check in I always get a nice "Have a good workout" from the staff at the counter.
  • jennabugg0930
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I don't care what type of people go to what gym (expect for people who don't clean up their weights or sit around and do nothing), so the fact that "bodybuilders" can't go or whatever is not a selling point for me. I'm military and need to drop baby weight, so when I work out, I work out hard. I do weight 5X a week and cardio at least 3X. The main things I care about is decent cardio equip, dumbells, cables, and a few benches for my DB.

I can work out for free (as I mentioned earlier) at the base gym, but it's always too crowded when I try to go.

How crowded it gets really has to do with the time of day. Only time I've noticed my gym really busy is right after work hours...so 6ish. But there are SO many machines that even at a busy time it doesnt seem that bad.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is the biggest joke of a gym. They have pizza and bagel parties for their customers (guess to keep them coming back) and they have that lunk alarm that sounds if you make the slightest noise while exercising. Deadlifts aren't allowed and squats are frowned upon. The PF closest to me has dumb bells that only go up to 50lbs.

If you're going to the gym just to get on a treadmill, buy one with a no interest credit card and pay $10 a month. If you want to get serious and not be afraid of having your workout cut short by being kicked out for "grunting" (or making any other noise for that matter), then go somewhere else.

What he said.

I'm sorry, any gym that has "banned lifts" isn't a gym. They didn't even tell me what I could and couldn't do with the barbell in my high school weight room. It's nothing more than trying to nurture the feelings of the untermensch who might be intimidated by someone's lifting progress. There's a reason that their damned dumbells don't get any heavier, and many of them don't even HAVE a squat rack or even a free barbell (all smith machines).
  • CLD79
    CLD79 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness, but each facility is a little different, so I would check it out and maybe talk to some of the people going there. I have been stopped before when people are touring the place to ask me what I think of the place.

Some Planet Fitness are different than others. I have only heard the lunk alarm one day and it was an odd day where I even noticed the atmosphere was different than usual. Most times people are doing there own thing and no one is attempting to draw attention to themselves.

I agree the pizza and bagel nights are a little strange. But it goes into the whole idea that fitness is a lifestyle and not a fad thing (i.e. it's New Years so time to join a gym mentality). So many times people start with good intentions and then never use their membership. So yes if you work out CONSISTENTLY then it is ok to splurge once in a while.

My Planet Fitness is very clean and I can go there and get down to business for cheap. I have a treadmill and a stationary bike at home, but at the gym I can do weights and try different things like the elliptical, arc, or circuit train.
  • ClarityPeace
    ClarityPeace Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I recommend Planet Fitness. It fits almost anyone's budget at 10.00 a month (you can get the fancier plan for 19.99 if you want the tanning etc). Who cares about the pizza and bagel stuff. Yeah it's kinda stupid, but just ignore it. I've been going for awhile and have only heard the lunk thing once. The most annoying thing that ever happened to me their was a couple got on the bikes next to me and then proceeded to have a loud argument. What a couple of losers and not in a good way. Gym equipment in your home while fine for some, can break down, takes up a lot of space, and is not as motivating. However it does save on the gas. Your call. Recommend PF highly.
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

If its convenient for you, then its worth it. The best gym membership is the one that you will actually use.

THIS.