Okay, I'm confused...white rice versus brown rice

Options
Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
My sister told me that the dietician she consulted with for a six week weight loss program at a local hospital said that white rice is really okay to eat and there are no carbs in white rice. Matter of fact, she said that brown rice has more carbs than white rice...My mind has just blown. Any nutritionists out there wanna shed some light on this, cause, it this is true....why do I gain weight just looking at white rice?!

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Here's a great article that will explain it for you: http://www.drlam.com/opinion/brown_rice_vs_white_rice.asp
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    I just looked on nutritiondata because that sounded a bit insane that there were no carbs in rice! Of course there are.

82g carbs per 100g (white rice)
    79g carbs per 100g (brown rice)

So there is not that much difference, maybe she meant there is not many more carbs in white rather than there are no carbs?

I saw a personal trainer for nutrition advice last week and he said I should try to avoid having too much rice but if I do then to always make sure its brown. I think there can be a lot of gluten in white rice, which some people cant handle. And brown/wholemeal/wholewheat products are generally better. I would avoid white anything like that, personally.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I think maybe your friend got confused... I'm sure a dietitian wouldn't have said that rice had no carbs! I am a dietitian by the way and the advice (other than the no carbs bit) was pretty accurate. I would say there is no real benefit- especially in terms of weight - of eating brown rice over white (plus its a pain to cook!). A lower GI rice such as basmati has the same amount of calories as white or brown rice but the type of carbohydrate breaks down more slowly and helps you feel more full for longer.

I'd skip the brown and have controlled portions of basmati or white.

Hope that is helpful!
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    Hi there,

I think maybe your friend got confused... I'm sure a dietitian wouldn't have said that rice had no carbs! I am a dietitian by the way and the advice (other than the no carbs bit) was pretty accurate. I would say there is no real benefit- especially in terms of weight - of eating brown rice over white (plus its a pain to cook!). A lower GI rice such as basmati has the same amount of calories as white or brown rice but the type of carbohydrate breaks down more slowly and helps you feel more full for longer.

Hope that is helpful!

Wow! Thanks to all of you. Very helpful information. For a minute, I thought I was going insane! I LOVE WHITE RICE! Like, I can eat just that as a meal, a snack...oh hell...ALL THE TIME. This has been a little hard for me since I've re-committed to my diet. The bismati rice information is especially intriguing to me. Does it have a different taste? Is it cooked the same way as regular white rice?
  • lilmissy2
    Options
    Basmati rice is cooked the same way as white rice. It's very similar - the grains are a little longer and it doesn't clump together as much as white rice but tastes about the same.
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    Here's a great article that will explain it for you: http://www.drlam.com/opinion/brown_rice_vs_white_rice.asp

Love the site! So much information. I can't wait to go through everything.

Thanks for your help.
    :flowerforyou:
  • janetgardiner
    Options
    white rice is better then brown rice as white has less starch in it. I just learnt that on the biggest loser.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Hope that is helpful!

Really??? Is it true that brown rice isn't any better for you? Because i've always thought the opposite but I have to force myself to eat brown rice...I enjoy the taste of white rice so much more and I absolutely LOVE basmati!! I also heard recently that jasmine rice is much higher on the GI that all of the above, is that true too?
  • lilmissy2
    Options
    Hi,

Yes it's true. And yes, jasmine rice again has the same calories at white/brown/basmati but has the highest GI so not as good a choice as basmati for example.
  • gmclachl
    gmclachl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There probably isn't a great deal of difference in calories between white and brown rice, however long grain white rice has quite a high G.I.

In my mind basmati isn't a second rate substitute for white rice, it's a much better alternative. Another option is brown basmati rice, but to be honest there is so little nutritional difference between the two, I almost always stick to white basmati.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Brown rice vs. white rice (think minute rice) is like comparing white bread to whole wheat bread.

HUGE difference! The difference lies in the fact that the white rice has been stripped so far down that the nutrients are not close to what brown rice can give us. Brown rice is far healthier to eat.

It's very easy to make on the stove, simply measure out 1 cup of rice, 2 cups water bring to boil, place lid on saucepan and put lid on and lower heat to simmer for approx 45 minutes.

To keep the brown rice from getting sticky, rince the rice well before cooking, turns out perfect every time!

A very nice nutty taste.

I did grow up with minute rice and it's all I used to eat until I realized how much healthier brown rice is and how much better it tastes, so now I'm a convert. It's not all about the amount of carbs in a food that makes it healthier for us:flowerforyou:

Becca:heart:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Looking at the nutritional make up of brown rice, though, one can see it has a lot more nutrition in it than white rice. As for gluten, there is no gluten in any rice unless it is artificially added. I have celiac disease and rice is one of the foods I'm able to eat.

I switched to brown rice with my breakfast because it has a lower GI and more fiber, so is digested more slowly. It's made a wealth of difference in my blood sugar level in the morning.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Why Brown rice IS more nutritious than White Rice

"After the husk is removed, the rice is milled
    to remove the bran (the brown skin just under
    the husk) and the germ or embryo (the
    life of a rice kernel which grows into a rice
    plant). In the milling process, complex machinery
    rubs the rice together under pressure.

All rice is brown rice before it is
    processed into white rice. This process strips
    out the life force of the rice along with most
    of the nutrients and almost all of the fiber. In
    order to compensate, 90 percent of American
    companies enrich white rice with powdered
    nutrients, in an attempt to replace
    some of what they took out.

But, if the rice is rinsed before cooking, as it is in India,
    then the enrichment powder is lost. Many
    other nutrients are also removed in milling,
    the importance of which scientists are just
    beginning to understand. In the end, 55 percent
    of the original paddy rice remains.

Even with the enrichment required by law in
    most countries, including India, there are
    still vast differences. Brown rice has
    349% more fiber, 203% more Vitamin E,
    185% more B6 and 219% more magnesium.
    With 19% more protein, brown rice
    is a more balanced food. White rice does
    include 21% more thiamin, B1, which is
    added in the enrichment process.

It is noteworthy that brown rice has a low
    Glycemic Index, 55 compared to white
    rice’s 70, or even more with additional
    processing, such as parboiling, which
    posts an 87. For reference, a donut is 76.
    The development of diabetes later in life
    has been linked to the overconsumpution
    of foods with a high Glycemic Index.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I guess the real thing we should be looking for is whole grain rice vs processed rice. As HealthyChanges notes in the article posted and as others have suggested, you are looking for the LEAST amount of processing possible.

This is true for almost any grain by the way, thus why steel cut oats are better than cracked or instant oats, why white flour is worse than course milled flour...etc.

processing removes the fiber, and much of the nutrients, and it turns what is essentially a very healthy food, into something of a fast energy "pseudo" simple carb. It's done mainly because it's easier to bake with, easier to store, and less likely to spoil in transport (thus big food can better profit from it).
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I just love the smell of basmati when it's cooking. :smile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    you are looking for the LEAST amount of processing possible.

This is true for almost any grain by the way, thus why steel cut oats are better than cracked or instant oats, why white flour is worse than course milled flour...etc.

processing removes the fiber, and much of the nutrients, and it turns what is essentially a very healthy food, into something of a fast energy "pseudo" simple carb.
    Thanks Banks for sharing about the steel cut oats! I always heard how much better for you they were but really never heard why, AH HA! Definitely switching over now that I understand it's the same principle with that as well.

Wow, learning so much everyday here:drinker:

Becca:heart: