Diet Soda???

Options
I know diet soda and soda in general is not the best thing to be drinking. However, if it helps me get through this period of readjustment in reagrds to my diet, is that okay? I have lost 12 pounds so far...........I was wondering if the diet soda would actually slow me down in terms of my weight loss. I plan to be at my goal around June. I drink one or 2 a sodas a day. I also get my share of water as well. Thoughts?

Replies

• tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Bottom line, if you are losing weight, don't sweat it....
    The quantitiy you are drinking is very reasonable.....
  • jacksprat
    jacksprat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That is a good question. I try to cut back on thediet soda but sometimes, maybe twice a week, I have to give in. It just has to be one of my guilty pleasures.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. I have a few a week and don't worry about it. Is it ideal? No, probably not. I've seen some info that suggests that diet sodas can cause the same insulin response that a regular soda does. If so, that could have some effect on weigh loss. At 2 a day, i doubt it would be an issue, but if you were drinking 15 a day, that's probably not good.

Just my opinion, obviously.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Random weirdness: I was losing weight faster drinking Coke Zero than coffee. Those are literally the only two liquids I consume, so according to most people I should be due for some tumors and tremors in the near future. Ah well.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    As long as you drink more water than diet soda, I think you're okay! :wink:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 300 lbs. drinking 2 to 3 Diet Pepsi's a day.... I won't be giving it up anytime soon..... Best of Luck
  • lionskitty
    lionskitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was a regular soda junkie, 4-6 a day, switched to diet and most days drink 1-3. I've lost 48lbs and have gone from a size 18 to a size 10 in jeans since last April, I've obviously made other changes too but after trying and failing over and over to quit drinking pop it's the lesser of the evils for me.
  • mariannekehl
    mariannekehl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My doctor advised me that artificial sweetener was likely causing my sugar cravings - I stopped drinking it and I believe that what he told me is true - I do not crave sugar as much anymore. Maybe it is all in my head, but whatever I feel better.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    1 or 2 diet sodas is no big deal... drinking over a litre and ur probably addicted even though it has no calories its really not something u want to rely on.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, the chemicals in soda are the problem. I think the Mythbusters did a test on how soda reacted on teeth, and it dissolved them away in no time. There are studies that say it does this and that, and there are studies that disprove those studies......use moderation and judgement, and all will be well.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, the chemicals in soda are the problem. I think the Mythbusters did a test on how soda reacted on teeth, and it dissolved them away in no time. There are studies that say it does this and that, and there are studies that disprove those studies......use moderation and judgement, and all will be well.

Drink it with a straw, inserted far back into the mouth, so the soda never makes contact with teeth. Problem solved. ;)
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    enjoy your drink.
  • TheUnthinkingMajority
    Options
    i drink one diet soda a day sometimes. sometimes not at all.. diet cream soda.. cant get enough.
    i have been losing perfectly fine. i havent been delayed on losing weight so far. guess we will see how things go!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Ive been on and off MFP for over a year so my ticker doesnt show it but ive gone from 270-203 now - and every pound was soaked in coke zero

I have never come across any definitive studies that have made me believe they are actually dangerous - that being said if you are losing weight then I can guarantee you are becoming healthier

TLDR - if you are losing weight ignore all the diet soda haters :)
  • ninasalagault
    Options
    I think you are doing just AWEsome! I'd look at it as a victory that you have reduced the amount of sodas. You might also think about drinking an additional glass of water for each soda you drink. That helps me tremendously with curbing my Diet Dr. Pepper cravings, because I know I have to consume a glass of water AFTER I drink my soda. Just keep on keeping on.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Diet pop won't hurt your weight loss as long as you don't have a sensitivity to the sweeteners used.

I drink diet pop regularly... it helps me get rid of sweet cravings!

Diet Pepsi Lime is the best!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I hate making blanket type statements but aspartame is one of the worst things you can put into your body. If you're continuously improving as you say you are, maybe just make a goal to get a little better over time by just having it occasionally. It's about being healthy too, not just losing pounds.
  • I was diagnosed with type one diabetes and so I only drink diet soda, seeing as on my own I cannot process sugar, and have a lower BMI than my family and friends that drink regular. I would say that they're a lot healthier than a regular one in any case: 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 sugars, plus lower sodium.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Burger King? easy to give up.
    Wendys? easy to give up
    McDonalds? easy to give up

Diet Soda....youll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers. I am pretty much immune to caffine so consuming mass quantities before bed is not an issue for me. I have literally in the past drank upwards of 2 or 3 2 liters a day (worked at pizza hut)

I have since switched to Diet sodas and while i still drink 64 or so oz a day i am starting to cut back and up my water intake. I am hoping to get the diet soda bug down to around 10-12 oz a day