Foot pain after running - on the top of the foot?

Options
Okay, googling is failing to turn anything up. I did a half marathon on 1/12 and felt fine afterwards. I went for a short/slow 2 mile run on 1/16 and felt totally fine during the run - midway through my cooldown walk the top of my left foot, up near the ankle (but not the ankle - the soft tissue beneath the bone that goes out to the little toe?) was suddenly sharply hurting. I took a week off to let the pain go away and felt fine, so went for a 5 mile run yesterday. It felt a little sore in the cooldown walk but was fine while running.

Today, my left foot hurts again. The pain is only on top of my foot and seems to be in the soft part, not an ache in the bones of the foot. Any idea what this is or what I did that caused it to hurt?

Thanks!

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up :)
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    probably need new shoes
    do you know if you pronate?
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    I supinate, actually- my shoes have about 250 miles on them, so I figured I'd be okay a while longer - figured my shins would ache when it was time for new ones if I didn't replace in time?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would try loosening your shoes. People tie their shoes way too tight- it was like a miraculous revelation for me when I first started loosening them up.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I supinate, actually- my shoes have about 250 miles on them, so I figured I'd be okay a while longer - figured my shins would ache when it was time for new ones if I didn't replace in time?

My experience is that you get weird random pains when it's time to replace your shoes, could be time.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I would try loosening your shoes. People tie their shoes way too tight- it was like a miraculous revelation for me when I first started loosening them up.

^^ This. When I was wearing shoes for long runs I'd loosen them to a ridiculous degree. The problem went away.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    That's interesting. I know I do lace my shoes pretty tight because I get blisters otherwise...I'd rather have blisters than this though!

Edit:

http://www.nhimassageblog.com/2008/08/18/lace-bite/

Well that pretty much describes the location of the pain perfectly. New one on me.

Thanks y'all!
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    if you loosen your shoes and it doesnt work its probably time for some new ones when you pronate or supinate your shoes dont last as long
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    if you loosen your shoes and it doesnt work its probably time for some new ones when you pronate or supinate your shoes dont last as long

I'll keep that in mind too. I've noticed the outside tread on my shoes is wearing away, so I was budgeting to replace them in the next month or two anyway...guess I'll try to move that up in priority. Thanks!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'd try different things like changing the way your feet land, decreasing the strength of how tight you tie your shoes and using your core leg muscles to run when you are landing.
    if nothing works.......
    i'd see a DR just to see what he says. you never know.
    I went through ALL of last year with several types of scenarios before i finally figured out how to run with NO injuries or issues.

my main objectives these days: land with less force on my heels (almost none), take shorter/quicker steps, and run with my core leg muscles. It has really helped. I focus nearly every step securing faith in those core leg muscles. they really take me much further than ever before with less or zero pain in my ankle/foot bones.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    That's interesting. I know I do lace my shoes pretty tight because I get blisters otherwise...I'd rather have blisters than this though!

Edit:

http://www.nhimassageblog.com/2008/08/18/lace-bite/

Well that pretty much describes the location of the pain perfectly. New one on me.

Thanks y'all!

Use body glide on your feet where you tend to get blisters, and if you're wearing cotton socks replace them with synthetic ones or athletic wool. I can't attest to the wool ones b/c I'm allergic to it myself but I hear they're good. Synthetic socks work miracles against blisters. Cotton doesn't wick moisture so sweat stays right there up against your foot causing blisters.
  • elbereth2010
    elbereth2010 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have learned something new today! I will keep my laces a little looser!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I know you said the pain seems to be associated with your little toe, but, if loosening the laces doesn't work out, look into Morton's neuroma. It is a common problem of runners. It is an injury to the nerve between the toes, usually between the third and fourth toes. It is more common in women and it is often felt as a sharp, shooting or burning pain.
    The treatment is to put a small raised disk of insole in your shoes, right underneath the area of the ball of the foot where the pain is located.
  • Tracytxray
    Options
    I work for orthopedics. Stress fractures of the metatarsals are common in runners. Hopefully, that is not what you have.